jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Another thought on setting comments to read the latest first

1. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 4 years ago

I have my comments set to read from last to first. It seems easier that way to follow the natural thread. Now I am thinking though that doing it the other way around so that the most recent comments are first could encourage readers to share the hub since the share button is right above the most recent comment. What do you think about this?

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I really don't like most recent comments first.
      It feels unnatural and it's a pain in the botty when you are responding to a quite lengthy comment, especially if there are a fair number of comments already.

2. tom hellert profile image61
      tom hellertposted 4 years ago in reply to this

sure...last to first sounds like a plan...I think you may have listened to that unexplained sound hubb to many times LOL

1. Dorsi profile image89
        Dorsiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol Tom. It's still going strong and I've found some new interesting strange sounds on youtube. I'll have to do an update.

2. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I need to go figure out what I've got the settings on.  I have a very weird deal right now, and I don't like it.  Basically, it's a "what the heck is the system with these?" kind of thing...

OK.  I went and checked.  It WAS on "display most recent first".  I just switched it to (essentially), "No, don't do that."   smile

I think the most-recent-first things is particularly confusing for the person whose Hub it is.  There's the thing where comments show up somewhere else, and you can approve them or not.  Then there's the thing where people can comment in the feeds.  Then you go to reply, and you can either post a new comment or else reply right under the person's comment (IF you've already approved it.)

I'm glad you did this thread and reminded me to go look and take care of that (because it's been driving me nuts, and I haven't "addressed the matter" because I haven't even felt like dealing with it.).   lol

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Totally agree. I see someone comment, then I go there, and they are somewhere else in the piece, usually commenting on an old comment. It's hard to hold a conversation if someone responds to old comments. Interrupts the flow of the forum.

3. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

If a page has a lot of comments putting the latest first seems to work. Seeing something a day or perhaps a few hours old encourages people to get involved in a discussion.