jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Page with unrelated hubs...

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago

Here is one such example :

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/RV- … -the-Floor

Only one related hub out of six.  Compare the related hubs on this next one:

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/RV- … and-Repair

Another one of my formerly best trafficked hubs with the same unrelated hubs:

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/Bas … maintenace

Now what are the chances someone looking for RV info would want to check out the related hubs on this page?  It not only hurts my views but those who may also write in the same niche with a possible related hub.  Not to mention HP too.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

3. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago

Double "bump"

4. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago

Randy, In that first one you have the words "rv floor removal" in one of your tags. One of the related hubs that displays is one about snow removal. They have the word "removal" on one of their tags too, which is why it's showing as a related hub.

That's the kind of thing I was referring to in the prior thread. I know it's not easy to choose the right tags and to maintain them.  But it's a necessary part of the business. I put a lot of attention to my tags and cross check them by actually clicking each one a few days after I publish, just to see what comes up. Then I make adjustments as needed to reduce algorithmic mismatches.

This is all automated and, as was mentioned in the prior thread, and no one is out to get you. It's just a matter of working with it and fine tuning on our own.

Hope that helps, not only you, but anyone else who is questioning how tags work.

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Exactly.  Tags determine what shows up as "related Hubs", it's that simple.  It's not a perfect system, especially if people are over-zealous or haphazard with their tags (as newbies often are). Unfortunately, you can't control how  other people tag their Hubs!

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

Randy, I finally got a chance to follow up on this.  Sorry it took so long.

Checked out your RV maintenance hub, and the related hubs showing up.  All of the related hubs had, I though, some relation to yours, though not much in some cases. 

Tags seemed to play part, as others have said, with most of the related hubs carrying similar tags.  "maintenance" was very common, along with associated words such as repair, maintain, etc.

It was not the whole story, though, as some had no tags in common at all.  They were all from the same category, though - "autos".  I have to stand by my original comment from another thread - several things play a part in this.  Tags, category, HP ranking, keywords, etc.  And it would not surprise me one iota to see traffic levels in there too somehow.  I say this because of your being sandboxed with presumably low traffic values.  While several of these related hubs showed up in the related section of what they referred to (they were represented several times in that group of hub's related sections) there was nothing of yours.  I suspect that HP's algorithm has followed along with G's in downgrading your work automatically - in HP's case probably because of falling traffic values.