jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Page impressions

1. davenstan profile image85
    davenstanposted 5 years ago

Hi! I need help understanding the page impressions. I can get 50 page impressions, yet only make 10 cents. How is this calculated?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What were your expectations?

You can expect to earn between $2 and $6 per 1,000 views.

2. Gina Coole profile image86
    Gina Cooleposted 5 years ago

Page impressions, as opposed to advert clicks, tend to pay very little. 

Clicks on adverts pay according to the value of keywords.  For example, luxury car ads will tend to pay well while a subject like receipes or going for a walk may not pay very much.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Great answer!

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 5 years ago

I understand that page impressions are people being able to see your webpage on the search results. It doesn't mean they are reading your hub. Even though you make it to page one of search results, the user may still not click on your hub. Clicks are when the user actually goes to your hub and starts to read it.

1. profile image0

Page impressions are generated every time someone visits the hub. If the page is refreshed, another page impression is generated. They are also generated while editing. One page impression may lead to several ad impressions (or none in case the ads have been disabled).

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
        Healthy Pursuitsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Geez, just when I thought I understood what the darned  things are, now I find that what I've been told isn't true! Dammm!  I read that info from a supposedly reputable source. Does that only apply to webpages OUTSIDE of HP? Or is it pure fiction? If so,wouldn't be the first piece of confusing garbage.

1. profile image0

Well, the definition does seem quite unambiguous, and it is applicable anywhere on the Internet. It is a simple measure compared with "hits" and such, where individual page components come into play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_view

Well, I'll go to Wiki for my terminology, instead of listening to the "experts". Thanks for the info.

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image89

Hey, I just read a Google Analytics help page that said the very same thing my friend had told me about page impressions.

https://support.google.com/analytics/bi … ;ctx=topic

Under SEO Metrics, it says:
            "Impressions—the number of times any URL from your site appeared in search results viewed by a user, not including paid AdWords search impressions
            Clicks—the number of clicks on your website URLs from a Google Search results page, not including clicks on paid AdWords search results"

So Susana S below is right - it's very different inside and outside of HP.

1. sunforged profile image74
              sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

its not an inside/outside HP situation, you are merely focusing on one tools vocabulary that happens to be different than the rest of the industry use of the word.

Most people who use the term impressions are referring to ad or leadcapture device  impressions which only occur when your actual page is loaded by a visitors browser. 99% of the time any reference to am "impression" will be in relation to a browser load by a visitor on your target property

The metric of "impressions" that analytics and wmt uses in regards to "impressions in search" is much more niche and specific meaning that has no purpose to the majority of traditional article writers.

The definition you posted is not a PAGE impression - analytics registers  an impression when java urchin is loaded,  adsense registers an impression when adscript is served (and often discounts low quality traffic) and gwt shows "impressions" based on keyword search in serps (if that helps it get more confusing :p)

For even more fun - if you run any of your own sites - check out the "hits" stats .. lol

Lawdy, lawdy! Thank you for the extra explanation!

I think I'm going for a few classes. I used to be a computer analyst in the waaaay olden days of the 90's, and never had trouble with terminology or getting the hang of how things fit together.

But now, trying to pry my way into the guts of this stuff,  I keep getting lost. I've found myself looking over my shoulder more than once, expecting to see the Cheshire cat - and that little grinning rutsa rutsa is wearing a Google t-shirt!

Thanks again.

2. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Google also uses the term page impressions in webmaster tools, which is what I think you are talking about. Those figures do show how often your page was listed in the search results. But in the case of HP page impressions or adsense page impressions, it relates to how many times an ad was potentially viewed.

4. davenstan profile image85
    davenstanposted 5 years ago

I am just trying to understand how all of this adsense, page impressions, and so forth works.

5. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

VIEWS - any time someone looks at your hub, whether the hub displays adverts or not, and whether those adverts belong to Hubpages (40%) or you (60%).

IMPRESSIONS - any time someone looks at your hubs while YOUR adverts are showing.

(Note that this is how ADSENSE works, Hubpages Ads work on page impressions NOT clicks.)

1. davenstan profile image85
      davenstanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ok. Thanks for answering wrylilt. I am going to do some calculations to make sure I am getting 60% everytime.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are. It's been tested repeatedly by members. tongue

1. rmcrayne profile image95
          rmcrayneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Agreed davenstan.  You don't have to worry about this, leaving you free to obsess about other things.  smile

Closed to reply

working