jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Jason - Drop in views/ revenue... changed this from another thread

1. Marye Audet profile image91
    Marye Audetposted 4 years ago

Jason.. I did not want to hijack the thread that you were responding to about hubpages traffic but I did want to comment.

My views are down, although I don't know that it is from any issue with hubpages. Comparing my traffic weekly from Oct 1 to today there is about a 20k per week drop around the 15 of October. That was stable until the week after Christmas when it dropped about another 15k but then rose slightly weekly until it peaked around Valentines Day and went up 25k for that week, making it similar to the first part of October.

The traffic has dropped since then, bringing me to my lowest point since the subdomain changes as of last week. If you look at the traffic by month it has decreased steadily since Sept 1 (with the exception of Feb). What has concerned me more, though, is the steady drop in HP Ad revenue which, in my case,has dropped $15.99 (averaging) per day from what it was in October (comparing Oct 2011 to Feb 2012) with not much change in adsense revenue during that time.

Other networks that I work with saw the lowest cpc levels ever in Jan so I am not saying that this is just hubpages. I may be just me.

While perhaps not all of Hubpages has been affected by this obviously some of us have been affected by something. Any suggestions would be most welcome. smile

2. stephhicks68 profile image84
    stephhicks68posted 4 years ago

I am interested too!  Thanks Jason and HP staff, and thanks again to Marye for bringing this up originally.

3. sen.sush23 profile image60
    sen.sush23posted 4 years ago

Very interesting data. I am listening.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

It's a similar story for me (although on a smaller scale due to lower amounts of traffic and earnings).  No dramatic drops in traffic, more of a gradual slide from late December onwards.  I've tried to dramatically reduce low quality hubs and Amazon capsules etc. as Jason advised, but with only very limited benefits.  At the start of March, a more serious dip occurred however, wiping out around 12% of my traffic - I personal suspect that it was the Panda 3.3 update that caused this most recent drop.

1. 0
      kelleywardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm new here so I never had the before Panda experience. I work very hard in writing hubs that have most of what has been suggested to bring in traffic. My traffic is very slowly increasing but is still very low compared to what I hear others say about their traffic prior to Panda. I'm interested in hearing what others say about this!

2. rmcrayne profile image94
      rmcrayneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've had a constant gradual slide in traffic since Dec also.

5. 0
    jenuboukaposted 4 years ago

I read this hub about another aspect that may help others.  Very well explained and detailed to those who are experiencing any kind of drastic fluctuation in earnings and traffic. 
    I have seen a lot of of (blue) indication on the daily of a sliding drop, however, if I have not up dated these hubs, then I should do so.
    Hope it helps some, I though the author explained this pretty straight forward.

http://kangaroojase.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … affic-Gone

6. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 4 years ago

When it comes to traffic and CPMs, I try to keep in mind the serenity prayer: "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference." It's not a glib answer. Both search traffic and the online ad market, but especially the ad market, are not under our control. When a user is seeing a dip in CPM, we're seeing that, too. Our answer has been using the Ad Program, which bundles together a number of ad sources and put them in competition for each ad spot, but ultimately, advertisers are going to pay what they're willing to pay and what the market bears.

Traffic is also kind of out of our control. Search engines will rank content as they see fit, and it's a complex and ever-evolving process. We do read what Google suggests about algorithm changes and share best practices with the HubPages community, including a Learning Center entry that we published a couple of months ago that encouraged Hubbers to revamp (in a serious way) Hubs that were traffic drivers but that had seen traffic decline. We think that's a best practice, but ultimately only a suggestion and not one that's guaranteed to work in all circumstances for every Hub.

Marye: You and I, who've both been publishing on HubPages for over 5 years now, know that the ebb and flow of traffic happens no matter how much we hope it won't. Your advice in the other thread you started was golden.  smile

1. Marye Audet profile image91
      Marye Audetposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. Basically you confirmed what I thought. As I said, every network I am working with is seeing considerable drops in income. Hopefully we will see them shoot up in the same way soon. And then? We need to all remember the story of the ants and the grasshopper, don't we? smile

2. David 470 profile image86
      David 470posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I tend to worry about CPM, but know that it is not in my direct control. Many variables come into play such as the time of year, topic, advertising competition etc...

CPM, however, can make a significant difference in overall earnings! March seems to be a much better month for CPM, than January and Feb! At least for me and most others.

I wish CPM was always as high as it was near the end of the year. My CPM was crazy high during OCT-DEC. smile

3. sen.sush23 profile image60
      sen.sush23posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Awesome philosophy Jason. Gives newbies like me a lot of courage smile smile