jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

How to suspend comments from readers when I am away?

1. Good Guy profile image93
    Good Guyposted 4 years ago

I will be going for a 10-day retreat where internet access is not permitted.  Is there a way where I can suspend readers' comments during this period?  If not possible, then will I be penalized by Hp Admin for not responding?  Or is it possible that I just notify Admin?

1. Lisa HW profile image84
      Lisa HWposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You could put your global settings on (essentially) "no new comments". (I don't recall off-hand the exact wording there).  Then switch back.  The global setting is the default setting for all your Hubs.

I've disappeared for as much as a week more than once.  I don't see any signs of any penalization.  I think it's more a matter of a personal preference  not wanting to seem rude to commenters by not responding.  Some people don't respond to comments at all - ever.  Some prefer just letting the comments stand without turning it into a "back-and-forth conversation".  I haven't seen signs of a particularly lower score, etc. either. 

Change your global settings by going to "My Account", then to "Comments".  You'll see the "edit settings" there.

2. Journey * profile image88
    Journey *posted 4 years ago

Hi Good Guy, Enjoy your retreat. I agree with Lisa HW. I don't think you need to be concerned for a 10 day period of time and I haven't seen any indication of penalties for not responding to comments. I do recommend moderating comments when you can though. When I am really late with moderating a comment that was placed on a hub, I tend to apologize and respond anyway even though the reader might be long gone by then with no plans to return and read anything on the hub.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

I've been traveling for up to a month without having Internet access and I just let any comments accumulate and then reply as best I can when I get back.  There seems to be no undue effect on the readers/commenters.

4. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

I typically do a blanket reply If I have a large stack of comments anyway. If I get three or four I'll reply individually. Sometimes a new hub will get ten comments on its first day. Then it's "Thanks, everyone!"

You might want to turn on the global setting for not displaying unmoderated comments while you're gone anyway, in case you get hit with spam or abuse.

5. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 4 years ago

I agree with the others here..no need to be concerned about not being able to reply to comments.. in the status column you could leave a message for your followers letting them know of your absence from HP... That would do nicely I think.. Enjoy your retreat smile

6. Good Guy profile image93

Thanks a lot, all fellow helpful hubbers, for all the advices.  I really appreciate all your comments. 

Hi "sofs", your recommendation is what I am trying to search for.  Where will the comment in the "status column" appear?

1. sofs profile image87
      sofsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In your feed... click on Hubpages  it takes you to your home page/feed and you
      will find - Status Question Forum - click on status and leave a message for your followers... Hope this helps.

7. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 4 years ago

you can change settings on comments individually or in the global settings, like Lisa was saying and make it to where nothing will appear without your approval. Then you can answer them all together or individually when you are back and it won't look as if you were ignoring comments. Then you can always change your settings back later.

Adding a little quip about where you are headed or how you will be away for a while in your profile section is a great idea too. I'm not sure if that's what sofs meant or not but if your readers check out your profile, then they will have an idea why you haven't responded yet smile

8. Good Guy profile image93

Thank you: all you beautiful people.  I shall just leave the comments unpublished until I return. 

I shall now go for my 10-day retreat with peace of mind at the end of the month.

All of you have fun too!!