Thoughts on the major Google refresh mentioned in Wall Street Journal?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Max Dalton profile image84
    Max Daltonposted 12 years ago

This article talks about a massive overhaul: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … TopStories

What's this mean for HubPages traffic?

Best,

Max.

1. SD Dickens profile image68
      SD Dickensposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I saw this as well and wondered the same thing.  It sounds like some major changes are coming.

2. Jason Marovich profile image86
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"For a more complex question such as, "What are the 10 largest lakes in California?" Google might provide the answer instead of just links to other sites."

Oh, dear...

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your post was an excellent heads-up about the soon-to-be future. Because of it, I am immediately changing my writing tactics. A sincere Thank You!

-paradigmsearch

4. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could this be why Hubpages are making the change regarding questions moving to our subdomains?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The changes that Google are discussing are exactly the sort of thing that would take traffic away from all the simple questions asked on this site.  Which casts a big doubt on the future potential of such an area to make advertising money.

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh..so they will have their own answers at the top of the page, not answers from a website such as this.

Oh well, I have no traffic for them to take away so I guess it won't affect me.

That's the plus side of being in the sandbox, they can't hurt me any further.

5. Greekgeek profile image80
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is actually a really exciting subject, although it's worrying for us who are trying to earn a living through online publishing. I've been writing about semantic search and how to prepare for it for a couple years. It's been a long time in reaching public attention, although Google's been doing it at least since 2009.

Unfortunately, Semantic Search will cut down on some kinds of web traffic. Google posts answers gleaned from websites at the top of its search results, obviating the need for people to click on links to get answers. For example, try asking it the height of the Empire State Building. For nearly 2 years, Google's given you an answer. Ditto weather, sports scores, and other easy-to-measure answers. People are less likely to click links once they've got an answer to quick questions.

In preparation for semantic search, there has been a push in the last several years to create structured content, explicitly tagging parts of webpages as names, titles, email addresses, prices, and so on, to make things easier for Semantic Search. Hubpages and article publishing sites can't be part of this data-tagging gravy (although I do wish HP would at least get rel=author set up properly, since that's one of the basics.) It's hard to implement on a site you don't own.

But I think we'll be okay, despite the current "metadata" tagging craze. The true goal of semantic search is to create intelligent enough algorithms that search engines won't need explicit, embedded tags to figure out, for example, that (xxx) xxx-xxxx is a phone number. We're going to be in better shape as this goal begins to become a reality, since it won't require us to do anything to our content other than be specific. Semantic search is why I've been harping on using specific, concrete language whenever possible in our articles. If we use clusters of vocabulary related to our topic, intelligent algorithms will be able to identify what we're talking about.

Siri is an example of a semantic search algorithm. There have been others. Wolfram Alpha has been out for a few years now as an alternative to normal search engines.

While "quick answer" questions will send less traffic to our pages, some things, like product reviews and how tos, are not reducible to quick answers. People will still want to know why and how, not just who and what. So we'll still see search traffic. Hopefully the ever-increasing number of people using the web will help offset semantic search traffic losses.

1. Max Dalton profile image84
        Max Daltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the thorough overview, Greekgeek. The more I think about it, the more I feel like this isn't going to be such a bad thing. Traffic may get shuffled around, but as long as our hubs don't focus on something with a definitive answer, such as there would be for "What are the 10 largest lakes in Michigan?", I think we'll be fine. Some people may have to reorganize how they do things, but I think most of us will be fine, as long as we also use very specific writing in our hubs.

Thanks again.

Max.

2. SimeyC profile image87
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts are that 'semantic search' is going to benefit the good writers. It seems that the algorithm should be looking for 'depth' so all those sites clogging the top of Google with no information should disappear and those quality articles that are well written and contain quality information should rank higher - well that's the theory at least!

2. Max Dalton profile image84

Hi SD,

Either we're the only ones who read that or everyone else's head exploded thinking about it. I think this is gonna be a bigger shakeup than Panda.

1. SD Dickens profile image68
      SD Dickensposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree Max...I get a WSJ email with headlines every day which is why I saw it.   I really don't have a good feel for how I might alter my writing based upon this news. 

paradigmsearch - what are you planning to do differently?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually this has already come up in at least one other forum here.

What's really annoying is - if Google is going to display facts at the top of search results, where is it going to get those facts from? No matter where they've gathered that information from - whether it's an encyclopedia, Wikipedia, online articles - they're depriving their original source of traffic. 

I think this will have a huge impact on everyone. For most successful online writers, 90% of their traffic comes from Google, and it's virtually all from people who are looking for answers to a problem or question.  Whether it's how to do something, or why something happens, or whatever - there's usually a short answer and a long answer.  I always try to give the long, detailed answer - but if Google gives them the short answer, many people will settle for that and never bother to check the other search results to get the full story.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

It's difficult to know what this change is going to look like. 

As an internet user and human being, I am very concerned that Google want to emulate Facebook's databse of users and use it for commercial as well as search purposes.

I am also concerned generally about Google using their search engine in more and more commercial ways to fill their own pockets.  The appeal of Google initially was that it had such a simple layout.  I hope they aren't going to make everything too complex with adverts everywhere.  Google search engine has to remain neutral.

Of course, how the changes might affect hubbers is another question.  It seems difficult to predict, given our limited information.  I am concerned, however.

4. Max Dalton profile image84

Hi Paradigm,

It's definitely interesting. It's equally peculiar that only 10 to 20% of searches will be affected by this. I think 10 to 20% of search results will be affected, it sounds like the bigger impact will be felt when people stop at the initial info presented by Google and never make it to the search results.

5. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

This might be partially to do with Siri. Siri allows iPhone users to bypass Google and come up with answers to questions. There is at least one web based service around (forget the name)which tries to answer questions directly and might also have worried Google.

Whatever the reason for the change, it looks like simple facts are going to become the province of Google and article writers are going to have to write articles full of insight, analysis and compelling prose.

Sigh...

I just want an easy life and my money every month.

1. Jason Marovich profile image86

I see this affecting long-term article writers more than new ones.  Because basic queries already have many powerful, optimized articles attached to them, I never bothered to write such articles. 

So, the person that's had their article answering common queries ranked highly for years, could see traffic dwindle to a trickle for the same article after the changes.  Because the user would already have their answer from Google and wouldn't need to look any further.

6. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Let's hope that the big G gets all their answers correct then!

7. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

This particular iteration is just the beginning.  Longer term, semantic search destroys keyword research.

8. celebritie profile image70
    celebritieposted 12 years ago

I wonder how that will effect sites like yahoo answers and answers.com, ask.com and similar answer sites.

9. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

Since Panda began, I have had the worst time finding relevant research results on a host of topics. Google let a lot of aggregators and content farms dominate the pages. Now, it's getting better.

So do we start putting the facts in the first paragraph and forget writing traditional introductions? (That's what I've been working on, anyway.)

1. Jason Marovich profile image86

What reason could there possibly be not to include keywords in summaries and the first few lines of an article?  Even human readers would appreciate that, yes?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)