jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

What doesn't kill you...

1. AshtonFirefly profile image81
    AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago

...does it really make you stronger? or does it destroy you?

What do you think?

Does trauma, abuse, etc. cause us to be better or does it leave permanent damage?

2. Jonathan Janco profile image80
    Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago

It does both. There is always a price to pay for progress. It depends on what you allow. As a survivor of child abuse, I can honestly say that it is thanks to that that I am a devout pacifist and a compassionate soul who will always turn away from aggression. However, hatred and anger linger in me to this day despite every effort I've made to overcome it.

AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for your response. I'm very sorry you suffered through child abuse. I can relate to your feelings strongly and agree that it can cause both negative and positive things in our lives. I too find myself struggling with scars that seem to never go away  hmm

1. Jonathan Janco profile image80
        Jonathan Jancoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just keep working on the healing process. No one is perfect and everyone needs time to overcome that which they need to. It all started to come around for me when I realized it is much more rewarding to forgive than to not. But 9 out of 10 times I still give in to anger and contempt because I need to know if I've overcome what has hurt me and I guess I havent yet.

3. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I thought I was fine twenty three years after my mother tried to kill me. Turned out that depression I'd been randomly suffering for "unrelated reasons" was more likely linked to recently diagnosed PTSD.

I think whether you know it or not, some things stay with you.

You are right, some things don't show up until later in our lives.
      I'm sorry you went through such a traumatic situation sad I hope you are feeling better and healing from this...

4. Shanna11 profile image92
    Shanna11posted 5 years ago

I think it does- but pretty much what the others have said here is the same as what I'm going to say.

My stories aren't as horrible, but I was bullied in high school, and I still struggle with the insecurity and fear of judgement that their bullying caused, but it has made me stronger. I will never, ever let myself be bullied again without breaking their nose in the process.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image80

I wouldnt advise resorting to violence Shanna. It feeds the bullies. They like being retaliated upon because it justifies their behavoir.

I agree to an extent...but...in some cases it might be advisable to defend oneself physically...I guess it would depend on the situation...

2. Shanna11 profile image92
        Shanna11posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hahah, honestly I would never resort to violence. I'd probably apologize to the person for even thinking about harming them...

2. Jonathan Janco profile image80

I agree. Violent, angry thoughts can be felt, too. Atleast my personal experiences have implied this.

5. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

It all depends on whether it breaks you or not. Depends on what you call "damage."

Technically a sword is made from broken iron, broken limestone, and decimated wood. You could even include broken skin and muscle cells on the part of the blacksmith who forges it.

Yes, that's optimistic. But, it's true. We either rise above or break. I see no value in encouraging breaking.

working