jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Would like some critique.

1. LadyMar profile image60
    LadyMarposted 4 years ago

I joined HubPages in November, due to the holidays and then foot surgery in February, I'm just now getting back to publishing Hubpages again.

I welcome critiques, ideas and suggestion to what I can do to make my Hubs better and receive more traffic.  Below are a couple of my Hubpages.  Thanks.  :-)

http://ladymar.hubpages.com/hub/keeping … okinggreat

2. IntimatEvolution profile image82
    IntimatEvolutionposted 4 years ago

They are well written.  I would post some backlinks in the hub.  But that's it.

1. Sue B. profile image87
      Sue B.posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do backlinks really help? I have heard that links in your hub pull people away from your hub and that could harm you as well. What do you think is best?

3. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

The writing and layout is great smile maybe look up other sites to chick their keywords and include them in yours wink great job!

4. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

Both pages are rather short. That alone is an issue. These are also subjects that have been flogged to death so don't expect too many views.

Having said that, your writing is clear and to the point- which is one the most important things.

You need to dig deeper into subjects and also find subjects that have not been covered so much.

LadyMarposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks to all that have replied and given their critique.

I've yet to find the information on Hubpages on how long a Hub should be.  What the minimum and maximum length of a Hub is recommended.  So my articles have run from 150 to 300 or so words.  If anyone knows this info, please let me know.

My Hub is geared toward female 40 years of age and older, especially older.  And yes, there are numerous articles in magazines, on tv and on the internet about beauty.  But within that information is sometimes new tips and findings.

I would guess most everything has been written about numerous times especially with the advent of the internet, so having a different slant is always welcomed.

1. Will Apse profile image91
        Will Apseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The minimum number with any chance of success is around 500. Long, information rich articles with between 1000 and 1500 words, pictures and vids often do very well.

I would check out the learning center- reading every article there is a labor but probably worth it.

LadyMarposted 4 years ago in reply to this

While I agree articles too short might not do very well, but too long articles, depending on the subject matter are not good either. 

I write for another publication on a different subject matter and they suggest articles minimum 150 up to 500 words per article.  For them my articles are usually around 300-350 or so. 

In today's society a lot of people don't want or like to take the time to read long articles, they lose interest quickly.  In our instant gratification society now days, it is unfortunate that people prefer sound bites of information.

My goal is to write about 300 to 600 word hubs, depending on the topic.  Some topics lend themselves to longer articles than other topics.  smile

1. Sadie14 profile image88
            Sadie14posted 4 years ago in reply to this

In the learning center here one of the biggest keys to having successful hubs is said to be writing around 1,500 words. As long as you have a good clean, interesting layout I don't think it should be a problem.