jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Writing a number of hubs on the same topic.

1. Lydia Jones profile image74
    Lydia Jonesposted 5 years ago

I have just published my first hub which I am intending to be the first in a series under the title "How To Earn Money Writing Short Stories For Women's Magazines".
    My question is this: I have read the help concerning how to link hubs together but is it O.K. to use the same title for my 2nd, 3rd hub etc. Each will cover a different aspect of the same subject. I would ideally like to use the same title and start each hub with the same two or three paragraphs before moving on to the new copy. Is this allowed or would it be regarded as duplicating?
    Thanks.

1. lobobrandon profile image84
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Its duplicating. If you want to add it in terms of a series you could either write a different introductions (re-write those 2-3 paras) or juts link to the first hub in the series.

Also, there's no way you can use the same title as you can't duplicate the URL. There will have to be at least minor changes in the title in order for the new URL to be accepted.

Hope this helped and welcome to Hub Pages
      wink cool

Lydia Jonesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! I thought it might be duplication. How much change do I have to make to the title? Could I just add #2 for example?

2. Aficionada profile image90
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This needs to be rephrased.  When you start a new Hub, the URL automatically starts out the same as the title, but it can be changed before you leave the Hub initiation page.  Also, a title can be changed after the Hub has been published for a long time (or even a short time), but the URL can never be changed. 

So, it would technically be possible to have the same title, but why would you want to?  Someone coming across the title in the SERPs would not necessarily notice that the summaries are different, and so they would not know to check out all of the separate articles.  It would be better to have different subtitles to distinguish the separate Hubs.

Lydia Jonesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I take your point about someone not knowing the hubs were different parts of the same group of articles. Maybe I need to make the change at the beginning of the title to make sure the URL is different and that people see the second/third etc is a different piece. Tnks for your help! smile

1. lobobrandon profile image84
            lobobrandonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes that's it wink

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

I wrote a series also smile I used first 2 words next to accompanying information to have them together and helps remember to link them together lol just a tip smile

3. Lydia Jones profile image74

Thank you!

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

Yes, it would be duplication if you don't change the content. You can always refer to the other hubs by saying something like, "As discussed in earlier hubs, it's a good idea to clean your hot water heater once every . . ."  This would allow you to reference what's been said before. 

If you're wanting to restate the intro concepts, just paraphrase them, as has been mentioned by others.

Good luck!

5. Lydia Jones profile image74

Thanks Marcy! I can see I'll be doing a lot of paraphrasing at the beginning of the new hub! Thanks again for taking the time to answer. smile

working