jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Hubbers in Mexico

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

I apologize if there is already a forum on this topic. I couldn't find one.
    If there is one, could someone provide the link for me.

I am sure we have hubbers who live in Mexico.  There has been a major  Earthquake there-something like 8.9.

I would like all hubbers from Mexico to know that we care about them and their families and hope that they are okay.

1. Aficionada profile image95
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1 - Thank you for sharing about this, FBR.  This kind of compassionate interest is one of the great things about the HP community.

I'd like to add my concern and best wishes for everyone in Mexico.

2. relache profile image85
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Having personally been through a 7.1 earthquake, I'd just like to point out that anyone in the effected area will not have the electrical power necessary to connect to the Internet, nor will they for several days.  They also have contaminated water supplies, ruptured gas lines (which cause rampant house fires) and will have horrific mudslides if it rains.

Even if they are alive and uninjured, they are far from okay.

FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Quite true. The largest earthquake that has affected where I live during my lifetime is relatively minor. I live on a fault line, so I think it is just a matter of time before it happens here. Certainly during my lifetime, I expect it to happen. The small earthquakes that do happen here all the time, I rarely notice because I used to live across the street from train tracks.

I know that none of these people will be able to respond to this for several days. But I started this thread, so that when they do-whenever that is- there will be a place to say so. Contaminated water could easily kill people who survived the earthquake. Or they could freeze to death during the night.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
          Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And it will probably mean quite a lot to those hubbers affected, when they are able to respond, that people have cared about their situation.

3. Deborah Brooks profile image40
      Deborah Brooksposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My son lives in Mexico what part of Mexico? do you know? this scares ,me

4. Deborah Brooks profile image40
      Deborah Brooksposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just found out the earthquake is in Mexico city. My son lives 500 miles away from there.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The tremors were felt there but the epicentre was 300km south of Mexico City.
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17452834

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago

News updates have stated that 8.9 was incorrect. It was 7.6. But still pretty powerful!

3. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

No fires or collapsed buildings so far.

4. paradigmsearch profile image89

Collapsed overpass just reported.

5. paradigmsearch profile image89

"Update at 5:01 p.m. ET: The governor of Guerrero has released a statement saying that about 500 homes in the state have collapsed..."

Looks like this page does regular updates: http://content.usatoday.com/communities … 2jOmYR2SeU

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that link smile

Seemed a bit odd that such a huge earthquake should have no reports of damage. 800 houses now.

6. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

I'm sure there are many Hubbers in Mexico. Off the top of my head, I can think of Claudia Tello, for one. Best wishes to all of you. I hope you are all OK and back online and on HP soon.

7. eloygiles profile image80
    eloygilesposted 5 years ago

Hi fellow Hubbers,

First of all, thank you very much for your concern and prayers.

Yesterday around 12:02 pm we experienced the 2nd largest earthquake since that of September 19th, 1985. It was an oscillatory earthquake of 7.8 magnitude on the Richter Scale. The epicenter was located on the Pacific Coast (between Guerrero and Oaxaca), in a little town known as Ometepec.

Fortunately there were no reported deaths, and only minor damages to buildings and structures.  There were however around 200 reports of minor injuries and nervous breakdowns.

After the earthquake shaked most of central Mexico, 40 more replicas were felt during the night, with the strongest of a 5 magnitude on the Richter Scale.

All ativities are back to normal, at least here in Mexico City.

I want to thank you for your concern and support over this event. We thank God it didnt cause any major tragedy over here.

PD: Video of how it was experienced at a 33rd floor @ Mexico City.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4w5ZNlKxcY

FloraBreenRobisonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Glad to hear you are okay. Thanks for the update and the video.

8. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 5 years ago

I've been holding my breath until we start hearing from the rural and poor areas, whose construction -- often brick or adobe -- isn't always as quake-proof as that in modern cities and resorts. Sure enough, they've got a lot more damage. No reports of casualties so far, but emergency teams are just now getting into some of those areas.

Hope and prayers for them.

working