jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

sudden inflow of traffic from facebook....

1. premsingh profile image61
    premsinghposted 4 years ago

There is a continuous inflow of visitors from faceboook to my hubs though I am not a frequent visitor to FB. Traffic continues on a particular hub for few days then on other hub same pattern follows. I did not realize this potential of being a FB user since I did not find many visitors from FB for a long period. Now I understand the power of social networking site and suggest other hubbers to join FB & other popular networking sites. I would like to mention here that this inflow of visitors in thousands is in routine way and not due to advertising. However, there is not much use of this traffic in terms of revenue generation.

1. viryabo profile image86
      viryaboposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have noticed a most unusual spike in one of my hubs too. Not sure where its from.
      Thousands of visitors for the last couple of days.
      I am very worried about this.

2. PhoenixV profile image80
      PhoenixVposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Recently there was a video that went viral called Kony 2012 that wound up with 85 million YT views. It seemed very popular on FB too. I wonder if the two anomalies are related? Maybe someone forgot to turn something off?

2. rmcrayne profile image93
    rmcrayneposted 4 years ago
    1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Latest rumor is that they are escaped Tribbles.

1. LeanMan profile image81
        LeanManposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are showing your age paradigm if you remember tribbles... I guess I am too... Bring back the original star trek.. lol

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
          MelissaBarrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey!  I actually owned an actual tribble when I was a teenager. It was one of the actual props from the show. Bought it at a Comicon in Pittsburgh for a ridiculous amount of money (for a teenager)... James Doohan was speaking.

Oh crap.  Now I'm showing MY age... and my geekdom.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
            paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Fellow Geeks Unite!

2. Greekgeek profile image96
            Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Is it better or worse that I made a "walking" tribble with some fake rabbit fur wrapped around a wind-up toy? wink

Er, apologies to OP for not addressing question. FB scares me.

3. premsingh profile image61
    premsinghposted 4 years ago

thanks to all for the replies. Now I am also convinced that these hits from FB are not real since they are in no way useful to us. Discussions on forum substantiate that they are being generated by someone with some malign intention using a software or bot.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

I think someone else reported an unexplained FB surge not long ago.  And a few weeks ago, several of us were targeted by a malicious site called Skylancers; we got thousands of hits with hours. If it's just one hub, I'd unpublish it ASAP to avoid any AdSense issues or Google issues.  Be sure to report it to the moderators right away.  If it's malicious, it's probably happening to others as well.  I unpublished the hub with the traffic and then republished it a few days later.  Good luck!

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There is nothing to suggest that these bot visits are harmful, and Google ignores (or is not picking up on them) anyway, so I wouldn't bother unpublishing.

Not the ones from Facebook - Skylancers were a different matter.

5. incomeguru profile image84
    incomeguruposted 4 years ago

Just like Izzym submission, Google ignores them. Check your google analytics and you'll see that they actually does not count.