jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Should employers have the right to ask for your facebook login?

1. Kiwi Max profile image81
    Kiwi Maxposted 4 years ago

Recently I've read an article where a man was asked to provide his facebook login and password during his interview.

The interviewer could not access the man's personal details and photos because of privacy control and so requested the information.

In the end, the man refused to do so and walked out of the interview.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do employers have the right to look at your personal information?

Do we have the right to keep our privacy private?

Do you think it matters on the job you're applying for?

Imagine me as the employer and you're applying for a job with me - would you give out your facebook login details if I requested?

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No employer has the right to ask for such information ever.

2. Polly C profile image87
    Polly Cposted 4 years ago

No, they have no right to ask and I would not give it.  It is a total violation of privacy and not employing someone because of it should be a case for the industrial courts.

3. lobobrandon profile image82
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

I'd give the guy a laugh and walk out! He/She has no right to ask for personal info.

4. 0
    The Writers Dogposted 4 years ago

Absolutely not. I am not required by Australian law to provide my marital status or religious affiliations, so I am certainly not going to give people access to my FB logon.

5. 0
    idratherbeposted 4 years ago

No but maybe yes? Say you have to fire an employee for bad work performance. That employee uses that account to post bad reviews about the business in retaliation. For instance a restaurant. I can see where that could hurt the business.

6. starme77 profile image85
    starme77posted 4 years ago

I think your personal life should stay just that... personal ... now if you have a facebook for business/promotional purposes then yeah that should b public

7. Scribenet profile image87
    Scribenetposted 4 years ago

I would say asking for a Facebook password would indicate what kind of employer you would be up against. Total invasion of privacy for curiosity sake. I can see no reason to ever give such information.