jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Adsense and being banned because of high CTR

1. gbrgn profile image84
    gbrgnposted 7 years ago

Just had a thought about Adsense and my hubpages.

I have 8 published hubs and let's say I have a 12% CTR (click thru rate).

That's 1 click out of 8 views. What if 4 visitors out of the 8 had clicked on an ad. That would have been 50% CTR!

How likely would I be banned from the google adsense program? If this was a normal website with 8 pages and it received 10 to 40% CTR, and if I were google, I'd be very suspicious.

This is a scary thought.

2. charlemont profile image83
    charlemontposted 7 years ago

I guess everybody who's been with AdSense for a while can remember a CTR of 100% and even 400%. It happens sometimes, but not often. I believe Google estimates CTR on a monthly basis or so, but it's next to impossible to have a consistent CTR of even 20%. The average at Hubpages is about 2 to 5% in my experience, so there's nothing to worry about.

3. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 7 years ago

Google have many means of determining click fraud. A high CTR alone would not be the sole factor.

4. anne.moss profile image61
    anne.mossposted 7 years ago

I doubt you could get consistently high CTR, higher than say 10%, from hub pages on a regular basis. If you do, then yes, it will probably trigger some checks and like darkside said, they could be investigating. If they find out it's something like you having a link somewhere asking your friends and family to visit and click the ads, they will ban you. They just need to suspect as much, that's all, looking at the click-through patterns.

5. mrizos profile image77
    mrizosposted 7 years ago

Don't worry about that.  The Adsense Team knows how to recognize click fraud these days.  Legit CTR's can be "sky high" and nothing happens except a larger paycheck tongue

6. knslms profile image66
    knslmsposted 7 years ago

I don't think that will matter, because google has many methods of determining click fraud with cookies, ip address, etc.