jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)

Is the Rise in Hubpage CPM Universal, or related to quality, CPC etc.

1. janderson99 profile image85
    janderson99posted 4 years ago

I have noticed a nice increase in Hubpages CPM that has partially offset the decline in traffic, helping to maintain income. Have most people found this? I have been trying to target topics with higher Google CPC rates and I was wondering if this may have helped. Are most people seeing this?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image89
      PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, mine's better.  Whether HP are doing better with advertising or being more generous, I am not sure (does it always work on a strict 60/40 split or do they have some flexibility?).  Anyway, my HP ads money is up about 10% for March.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's always on a 60/40 split, given that the math cannot be perfect.

What I mean is that if there are 9 views today, you are not going to get 5.4 views.  There is always some variance from a perfect split, although as the number of views grows that variance (on a percentage basis) gets smaller and smaller.  It is also on a random basis so that no one gets the same period of day and this will result in something less than perfect as well but it, too gets closer the larger the number of views.

CPM varies, too, with the actual ads being shown.  Some advertisers pay more, some pay less.  HP can try to get nothing but high value ads but it isn't always going to be possible.  I know that last year during the Drano campaign I saw some unbelievable CPM figures - wish they could get them back!

2. janderson99 profile image85
        janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks,
        I think it is more likely HP is attracting higher paying ads, but targeting topics with higher CPC from Google may Help. My earning remained the same for March cf Feb, but CPM was up 20%. I don't think the 60/40 split changes - ever!

My Adsense was up 10% too last month.  The disappointment was Amazon, which continues to slip.

This week probably won't be great for me, as it's Spring Break, so I will lose  the school traffic.

(Hats off to the HP team, by the way - HP ads were a great idea and they definitely give HP an edge over most of their rivals, as far as earnings go!)

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm certainly with you there - HPads do far better than adsense ever did for me.

2. David 470 profile image86
              David 470posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. The HubPages ad is an amazing system. Everything is more consistent and CPM is higher for me than it was for Adsense.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image79
    SandyMcCollumposted 4 years ago

My HP earnings were up, too. However, today I've had almost no traffic. I hope that isn't an indicator as to what April will look like! It's probably because it's April Fool's Day somehow....

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think it has more to do with spring breaks the next couple of weeks. My traffic is down also.

In regard to OP, yes, I've noticed a rise in HP CPM, especially the last couple of weeks.

3. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

Jason once said which subjects get the best HP ads CPM. Tech was one for sure and I think the others were law and health, but I can't be sure.

I guess its related to Google CPC - so if you do research using the Google Adwords Tool or its derivatives - choosing a topic with a higher CPC should give a higher CPM - though its tougher to compete.

1. skyfire profile image72
        skyfireposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Google CPC?  Nope. It is related to custom campaigns (like drano) and MSN ads.

So that's where all my money went down the gurgler!

I actually think it's a combination.  Both Will and skyfire are right.

What about Me? Aren't I right too? About 50% of the HP ads are Google ads and so CPC should be a predictor.

Yes, I agree.  The Google CPC is a good indicator.  Advertisers are always going to want to pay out more for ads on legal advice, than poetry.

4. lobobrandon profile image83
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

My traffic today is the highest its ever been smile Hoping this lasts and continues to grow as I update/modify more hubs. One of them after updating adding pics and stuff took off from 5 views a day to 40 today! It's small but for that hub its great considering the percentage rise.

5. Ruby H Rose profile image80
    Ruby H Roseposted 4 years ago

Paul was mentioning HP ads, I am not sure exactly what those are.

1. Ruby H Rose profile image80
        Ruby H Roseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Paul for the information.  That helps

working