jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Barbie Doll Inspiration - Barbie Doll Favorite Memory

1. GmaGoldie profile image88
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

Ruth Handler created a doll which became known as Barbie, named after her real life daughter named Barbie. Her tag line became "we girls can do anything".

The history of her invention is fascinating, essentially the men in the toy industry told her no and she took her invention directly to the end consumer via a new invention at the time call television.

What are your memories of Barbie? Did that little plastic doll inspire you in any way?

Please share with us your favorite Barbie doll memory.

1. mary615 profile image94
      mary615posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi, GmaGoldie, just a suggestion:  why not ask this question in the form of a "question", and give Hubbers a chance to write a Hub with the answer?

GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Mary615,

That is why I need you - thank you very much! Will do! I am still learning this forum thing.

Thank you very much!

2. Greekgeek profile image97
      Greekgeekposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm afraid mine was beheading a friend's Barbie with my Darth Vader action figure.

I had a suspicion that Barbie was telling me I had to have big boobs and wear high heels to get ahead in life. I killed her, and now I'm stuck with oversized boobs that are not sexy, they're just comical.

I suppose there's some karma in that.

GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Greekgeek,
        OMG you got me laughing out loud! Oh millions of us can relate! smile

2. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

I had Tressy not Barbie. Tressy was more fun, because her hair could be adjusted to various lengths and styled. I always thought Barbie had a creepy looking face and so didn't want to have one.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago

I had a Pippa doll instead of a Barbie. She was tiny but perfectly proportioned (did not have big boobs, or blonde hair for that matter) As I have always been exceptionally short, 5ft 1" as an adult, I felt some affinity to Pippa. lol

4. Shanna11 profile image90
    Shanna11posted 5 years ago

My first Barbie toy was a set of three- Barbie, her little sister and then some sort of teenage version of Barbie. It was a Christmas set and they were all dressed in cute little Christmas aprons and things and baking gingerbread cookies. I had those barbies for a long time. I had a tendency to make stories with them- long, drawn out stories- and I'm pretty sure that the youngest of the set ended up being murdered by a Russian spy.

We had a funeral for her and everything- to this day, I'm pretty sure she still is resting in a tupperware container, buried a foot into the Georgia clay. The middle barbie was left at Rooms to Go Kids (a furniture store we spent one awfully long day at while my parents picked out boring furniture) after my brother and I flung her on top of a light fixture. She probably melted shortly after. The eldest barbie ended up being colored green with sharpie marker and became an alien for a while before she just finally was thrown away.

Later on, when I was nine, the controversial pregnant barbie came out and my friend got one. We spent hours making her give birth over and over and over.... and then they pulled pregnant Barbie off the shelves and suddenly she was worth a ton of money online.

So we had my friend's mother sell her, and we divided the profit and spent it on Peppermint patties and costume makeup. smile

5. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

What are your memories of Barbie? Did that little plastic doll inspire you in any way?

Please share with us your favorite Barbie doll memory.

Well... Being a Ken in real life...
    ummm believe me.. I knew Barbie most intimately! big_smile 

Did you know that...............

ummmm...

Nope... Best not say! tongue

6. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

I remember searching for a a woman's private parts on my sister's dolls as a child

Can you imagine my shock when as an adult I finally saw the real thing and I asked my partner why she hadn't taken care of that open wound in between her legs?

Even more embarrassing is that happened just last week

working