jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Impropper English

1. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
    WorkAtHomeMumsposted 4 years ago

If a hub is written in poor English should it be flagged? How bad is bad? If it reads ok but to a native speaker is broken english do you flag it or is that being petty?

1. quickbooker profile image77
      quickbookerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't think that only due to poor English  any post should be flagged but yes it should be understandable to other user. The main thing is information provided in that Hub. I always prefer to read an informative hub written with poor English rather than an feckless hub with very impressive English

WorkAtHomeMumsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mmm not so sure I agree. Nothing worse than incorrect grammar.

1. quickbooker profile image77
          quickbookerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

After reading all the comments I agree with you we should flag those Hubs to notify user so he/she can edit that. If still they didn't edit that Hub it means that is a spun article which should never be allowed anywhere on the web.

2. CMHypno profile image88
      CMHypnoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If it is written in really broken English, flag as 'spun or badly translated'

Thanks

1. CMHypno profile image88
          CMHypnoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Its doing us all a favour, as HP doesn't need any more substandard hubs.  And if you feel guilty about flagging someone else's work, just remember that the outcome is not your decision.  It is the moderators that will attach a warning or unpublish a hub, you are only bringing it to their attention.  If they think that it is, in fact, of an acceptable standard then no action will be taken.

3. Dale Hyde profile image86
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If it is really bad, I flag it. To me, some is always acceptable.  I know even when I use a grammar checker, I don't always correct what it suggests as I don't agree.  One of the main one that irks me using a grammar checker is that it don't like "don't" and wants do not, lol.

But in reality, there is no excuse if you have bad grammar, to not use a checker and improve upon your work before you publish.

2. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 4 years ago

Hehe, it would be nice if we had the ability to edit thread headings, especially when we are talking about good spelling and grammar! big_smile

Touché
      That's what happens when one types via a mobile. Maybe I'll be reported too. Loll

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've done that before too - an edit function would be nice smile

On the point of the spelling/grammar issue, I flag most things that are written in poor English, but I do tend to overlook spelling mistakes or even what might be termed as deliberate misspellings (ie they don't know the correct spelling as the mistake is repeated).

Flagging only brings the hubs to the moderators' attention, and if they think they are all right, nothing happens.

Usually (but not always) things written in really poor English are spun or translated, or both.

I would find it hard to believe that anyone with such a poor grasp of the language would actually sit down and write something original in a foreign language that they don't fully understand.

I speak Spanish, but I don't write it. I cannot imagine ever trying to write an article in Spanish and hoping to pass it off as being perfect or even understandable.

Translating tools don't do a great job either.

Closed to reply

working