jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Are group cross-links seen by Google?

1. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

D'oh! After four years, I finally discover the "group" tab.

I run to view a Google cache of a hub. Yes.... YES! The cache seems to show the "next" and "prev" links, and they appear to be dofollow!

But sometimes things show up on a Google cache preview that aren't really indexed by Google; they're generated on the fly with a script. So before I start going into a "related content" niche cross-linking frenzy, please... are those links seen by Google? Really?

I promise to be good and use them properly. Cross-linking is one of my favorite forms of simple SEO: Google favors pages that link to and from related content. (An effect somewhat lessened when you're linking to your own content, so one mustn't go overboard, but it's a form of site navigation that helps interested readers find more of what they like, which is a good thing).

1. LeanMan profile image82
      LeanManposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The best links are those within the text itself, I interlink hubs from within the hubs but I do use the group function also.. It does not hurt, not sure if it helps any....

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

The only reason I've ever used them is to sort my hubs into groups on my account page - I can see all my baby hubs at once, or all my "HP help" hubs. They're such small and obscure links on the hubs themselves I've never much seen the point of other optimization.

3. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

I really enjoy using groups, but not for any optimization reasons.  As a reader myself, when I finish someone else's article and see links at the end of it to related content, I find am often interested in reading those articles; or, at a minimum, I am interested in seeing what other content that writer offers.  I don't know whether my readers react similarly, but that's my reason for using groups.

@LeanMan, have you been able to track any comparison between responses to the group links and in-text links?

1. Greekgeek profile image97
      Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Betcha Leanman's right: supposedly, when judging the importance of content/text on a page, search engines look at body text more closely than nav links in the sidebar and around the edges of the page.

And I just wrote "importants," so I'm going to get the heck off the web and go have breakfast before I write a hub on MY LITTLE PONIES or something. Whoa.