jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What is the Formula for selecting the Related Hubs

1. janderson99 profile image87
    janderson99posted 4 years ago

Can someone outline the specific details about how the Related Hubs are selected and ranked. It appears to depend on the topic category, tags and keywords in the title. However it does not appear to be very reliable. Does anyone know the formula or how the elements are weighted.

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is my understanding that it is "supposed" to be related to just the tags that you have up.  However, I have posted the problem of unrelated hubs coming up on many of my hubs according to that formula. It is supposed to be being checked into. Have not hear anything new about it in several days however. There appears to be a lot of "car" related hubs in particular that are showing up on non-car hubs.  Hopefully, soon, we will get some resolve on this issue.

2. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

It would be helpful to know how related hubs are chosen. I just read an article titled "Benefits of Creating a DeviantART Account," and of the related hubs suggested to me, none were about art, which would be the logical subject I might want to read more about.

http://waynetully.hubpages.com/hub/Bene … RT-Account

They all had the word 'benefit' in their title, but had nothing else in common with the subject of the DeviantART hub. One was about the benefits of prayer, one was about the benefits of peanuts, one about the benefits of cinnamon and honey, etc. Three of them included the number '12', as in the 'Top 12 Amazing Benefits of  Peanuts,' although the original article had nothing to do with the number 12.

I've learned from the forums that the categories we place our hubs in have no bearing on the related hubs displayed on our pages. Supposedly tags do, but from several examples I've seen, it seems that they don't. It seems that the hub title is all that matters?

How important are relevant links in Google's eyes? Are these crazy unrelated links hurting my chances of google recommending my hubs to searchers?

Please tell us how related hubs are determined so that we may do what we can to have relevant links placed in our hubs.

3. brakel2 profile image86
    brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

There was a previous discussion about this. If you overuse a word, it gets picked up. The person wrote an article on Olympics but used the word power as in power jumping 25 times. Related hubs were about electricity. Another hubber' figured it out.

1. SmartAndFun profile image90
      SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that hub and forum post are mine. I unknowingly overused the word 'power' because that word is part of the name of the sport I wrote about.

However, in the article I'm using as an example now, the word 'benefit' is only used twice in the entire article, as well as once in the name. The author categorized this hub under 'graphic art' and the word 'art' is in the article 47 times.

Despite that, of the six related hubs, only one of them has anything to do with art. The rest are about the benefits of random things, with the exception of the oh-so-relevant 'How to eat muesli correctly."

I would love to know what I can do to manipulate the related hubs algo to work correctly and put up hubs that are actually related to my articles. It's not that I want readers to click away, it's mainly to avoid unrelated links that are apparently frowned upon by the Google gods.