jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Wonderful Google search engine results

1. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

In the real time analytics section I happened to notice that a search for "glue for repairing felt lined shoes" had resulted in a visitor.  There was no reasonable hub being looked at, however, and I have no hubs that would be a reasonable fit.

Running the search myself I found the hub on the third page.  A hub on laying self stick adhesive tile flooring.  That needs to go under shoe molding.  Where carefully lining up two edges...  and scratches can be repaired by....

Can google really believe that catching a bunch of random words from an article is equal to a phrase containing those words?  Do they not look at context at all - "shoe molding" cannot be "felt lined shoes".  The verb "lining" cannot be connected to the phrase "felt lined"

Is it no wonder they do such a crappy job?  I don't think I've seen a poorer excuse for an SE result!  Absolutely no connection at all outside a collection of words that, coincidentally, happen to be in the search phrase and in the hub.

1. Bendo13 profile image86
      Bendo13posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've noticed this too as I'm searching for things myself... Google has become pretty stupid in trying to search for words you didn't include like instead of the "did you mean this" link it now just includes in the results.

Like I was searching for something like "registration FEE" as in a fee for registering for something... Google showed me results and highlighted in bold fRee... with an r...

Yes Google, the words are pretty close but it's not what I asked for and your search engine is crap.

I hope this eventually makes them tumble down as a good search engine rises to the top above Google... and we can once again get the traffic we deserve.

2. Dale Hyde profile image88
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Makes you wonder how many millions of times a day this happens and how much lost traffic results.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Many, I'm sure.  It's a part of why SEO is necessary; proper use of keywords can help eliminate visitors that are actually looking for something else.

At least in theory - it certainly didn't help this time!

That poor guy or gal didn't find what they wanted from me.  The hub visited won't show any ads they are interested in (unless from their own history) so I won't get a click.  I will get a very short term visitor and get a small downcheck from google.  Because their SE doesn't work, but that's fair.  Isn't it?sad

2. Bendo13 profile image86
        Bendo13posted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's doing it again... I searched for grinding and it has clenching in bold as if that's what I want.

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Anyone using the other search engines? I'm using others to help with searches...and hopefully gain an edge over "G"
    Google isn't giving me the results I need as well..