jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Bookmarks

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

HP appears to have taken away the "bookmark this hub" function!  I've read several hubs this week that I wanted to bookmark to re-read again later, and in no case was the "bookmark" link available.

Please bring it back.  Not only was it useful to other hubbers, but I believe gave added positive reinforcement to the author; people letting them know their hub was that good, that it merited saving and re-reading.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think the reason they've removed it is that it was internal, which offers no added value to the Hubber.  Whereas if you join an external service and bookmark it there, that does give the Hub some extra "link juice".

So for instance, you could join a site like Pinterest, Stumbleupon, or Delicious, all of which let you keep a list of sites you like.

There's a new one called Pearltrees which might appeal to you, it's rather fun to use.

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

:: pout, pout ::  it was the fact that it was internal that I liked--I could bookmark it from here, and go back to it from here, without going to an oustide site.  I never thought it was for providing "link juice," but more for the convenience of hubbers, and to let the authors know that their hubs were deemed bookmark-worthy by thier fellow authors....
        (I have StumbleUpon, and I'm really none too impressed with its functionality.)

I have Stumbleupon too, but don't like it and haven't gone near it for years.

You just have to remember that HP is not run for our convenience, it's run to make money.  They've doubtless worked out that if Hubbers can bookmark internally, they don't have any incentive to bookmark externally, which means we do lose that promotional opportunity.  It's business!

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
          Jason Menayanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It has nothing to do with linkjuice. Every feature on the site has associated maintenance costs, and also makes our platform more complex for new users. We periodically discontinue features that are not used often enough to justify the maintenance costs and added complexity.

We'll have a link provided shortly where you can download your bookmarks to import into your browser or a bookmarking site (the vast majority of which have nofollow links, so they don't provide any backlink benefit anyway).

DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for that explanation, Jason, and for looking into a way to download our existing bookmarks...(I think that's what you meant?)

2. Marisa Wright profile image93

I'm not a fan of creating backlinks on bookmarking sites just for the sake of it - as you say, they're mostly no follow so they're not worth it if you're doing it to impress Google. 

However, if I'm going to bookmark another Hubber's Hub, I reckon I should do them the favour of good bookmarking it on a public site than bookmarking it privately - they may not get a Google backlink, but the link can be seen by real live people.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

Hi, again, Marisa--
      I tried to hit "reply" under your last comment..and it would not work...no box appeared, and it just kept bouncing me back to the top of the page.  So, anyway,
    what I was trying to say, was this:

Yes, I suupose you have a point there, ...In which case, I guess we need to create a Word or Excel document of some sort for ourselves on our own computers in order to bookmark things to which we want to refer again.
    Public bookmarking is good for the author--but try and ever find it again, the way things scroll off so rapidly--by 3 hours later, you're going to have a difficult search, and by the next day or a week later, you'd be just plain S.O.L.

I'm not sure what you mean?  Where are you talking about?

When I say "public bookmarking", I'm talking about opening an account at a bookmarking site like RedGage. Bookmark a Hub or site there, and you can go back any time and see just your own bookmarks.  The benefit is that other people can see them too.

working