jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Yet more copying sites

1. Anti-Valentine profile image95
    Anti-Valentineposted 4 years ago

I read through the forum threads concerning bigezines, and I decided to go and look for content that might have been copied from my hubs. I used copyscape but there's a limit to how many links you can scan using the free version.

So I managed to find a couple of sites that had copied at least one of my articles, so far, and I want to file a DMCA complaint. I can't see an email address, and I can't get any more info from a whois look up. So do I go through webmastertools or google's DMCA? Do I need to have my hubpages profile set up in webmastertools? I'm just trying to understand so I know what to do. First time doing this sort of thing.

The content thievery is taking place on live strong cycle wearsey.com and cycling apparel sale.com (I broke the links intentionally so they don't get any backlinks). You might also want to check there if you are reading this to see if any of your hubs have been stolen. It's not running any ads from what I can tell.

Thanks for any suggestions. We should start a thread here where we post broken links to all copying sites, like a blacklist, if it doesn't exist all ready, and we can help eachother out.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you can see Adsense on the site, click on the tiny arrow on the ad (it may say "AdChoices") and you'll be able to navigate to a place where you can report the site. Be sure to be specific about the URL of the page where your original is, and where the offending post is.

If you can't see Adsense on the site, then you'll have to report through Webmaster tools, and you will need to have your HubPages profile set up before you can do that.

I agree, it would be nice to have a place where we could share information on "thieving" sites.  It would be even better if it was somewhere private, where we could be sure naive newbies wouldn't post live links to the sites! But I wouldn't be sharing every site anyway - just the ones where you're sure there are lots of copied Hubs.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image95
        Anti-Valentineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, sorry for taking a while to get back to you. I was in my webmaster tools account - I take it that you verify a Hp subdomain using the Google Analytics option in "alternate methods"? And I guess it would pay to have webmaster tools set up in the same Google account as Analytics.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

There isn't much point in having a "blacklist" since hundreds of copy-thieving sites spring up every day and often get removed at the same rate.

3. Anti-Valentine profile image95
    Anti-Valentineposted 4 years ago

So I see that I finally got those little red copyright symbols next to a few of my hubs this week. I checked the copied hubs tab and only two of the hubs were listed. Clicked on "file DMCA complaint" but couldn't process it.

So like I said, I can't get an email address on the content stealing sites I've looked at, so would it be worth going to the hosting company (GoDaddy, etc)? I haven't yet been able to verify my subdomains via webmastertools but I'm trying to work something out. I've pretty much got my DMCA complaint notices filled out and ready to go.

One more question: when sending DMCA takedown notices to say GoDaddy, should I have one URL per form, or can I include all the URLs in one form - because they all seem to be hosted with the same company.