jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Permission to republish article

1. alexadry profile image92
    alexadryposted 4 years ago

A person contacted me asking if she can use part of my article, giving me credit and a link back to the article. As much as I am sick of people copying my content, at least this one had the decency of asking me permission. I am wondering the pros and cons of this. For instance, if she would use only 50 words with a link back I think this will generate traffic as it will act as a teaser. However, if she copies 50 words of my article  on her website will this affect my traffic? I know Google is getting pickier by the day...thoughts?

1. Robin profile image
      Robinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If your Hub has been indexed by Google, there is not a big disadvantage to having her use a portion of your text.  The link back to your Hub will probably outweigh the disadvantage.  Congratulations!  wink

alexadryposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's what I am thinking. I think it may help if it only contains say like the first 50 words, so that people feel compelled to visit my article to continue reading.

Arrrgggh, my blood is boiling!  I thought this person was extra nice but you always have to re-think things! This person that was actually asking for permission, gave me the link to the place she wanted to post it, I clicked on the link to check her website only to find she posted my article already in its entirety without even waiting for me to reply! Forget about it, I am not going to allow even 50 words! contacting her and sending a DMCA if she does not respond!

1. lobobrandon profile image81
            lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh! I guess you should file a DCMA she didn't have the decency to wait so why should you wait for her reply? If there are plenty of copied articles then filing a DCMA would be the best way - who knows if she's going to be the next copycat!

2. alexadry profile image92
    alexadryposted 4 years ago

You are so right, no more pity! The article is still up and she still did not reply, so yes, DMCA it is!

3. JKenny profile image93
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

Bloody hell Alex, that sounds worse than the bigezine issue, because the 'person' actually contacted you. Personally, I would be skeptical of people asking me permission to use my articles, simply because you have no idea who they are, and whether they are being truthful.

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

I personally find that far worse than random bots. Give her what for!

She removed it and e-mailed me telling me she is sorry I didn't want my article "featured" on her website, nice way of re-arranging things, huh? Well, all I care is that it was removed and that's all that counts.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Glad it's down! Featured, ha! As if she's doing you a favour!

2. lobobrandon profile image81
        lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Glad that it was removed smile

5. ComfortB profile image85
    ComfortBposted 4 years ago

Might want to check in every once in a while. You never know!

working