jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Moving some writing from Amazon to HP

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image88
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

I plan to remove some of my work from Amazon Kindle, so I can create hubs from it.  How long should I wait after I delete the writing from Kindle to add it to HP?

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do a search on Google for a sentence from your text. If it doesn't show up, you're good to go.

Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Marisa!

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm puzzled. Most folk here want to move up to self-publishing on Amazon Kindle, not the other way round.

Why not leave the articles/ebooks where they are, and write fresh content for HP?

You can write on the same topics, even say pretty much the same thing in different words, and point your articles to your e-book or whatever it is you have on Kindle.

Just watch your sales rise if you do this!

...but do you know anyone who's doing well with it?

A few months ago, everyone was saying blogging is dead, ebooks are the way to go.  But I've yet to actually meet anyone who's making better money on their ebooks than on their blogs.

I wrote an ebook on flamenco.  It's 20,000 words. I've pointed my flamenco articles and my blog to the ebook. In 7 months I've made the impressive total of $60 - and most of that was in the early days. 

In the same 7 months, my flamenco blog (which by coincidence also has about 20,000 words of content) made $545. 

I know Lissie wrote a travel ebook of a similar size.  She's done a lot of work promoting it, creating a site for it, etc.  It's in a more popular niche than mine, but even so (last I heard) she was only selling 5 or 6 copies a month. Considering most ebooks sell for a dollar or two, that's not much return!

So as far as I can see, if I have 20,000 words of information on something, it's going to give me a better return on a blog than putting it all in one book.

I wrote two short stories and published them separately, hoping that one of them might be chosen by Amazon Singles. Any length is OK for Amazon Singles - essays, short stories, etc. - and they do the promotion. Great idea, but it didn't work.
          So I waited a few months with the stories published as two ebooks. I thought I'd see how they did, and if either did moderately well, I'd go back and add some stories and make one book of short stories - and send a free copy to any who had already purchased one of the singles. However, neither has done much of anything. (yawn)
          At this point, I'd rather put them on HP. Maybe someday, I'll organize them into that ebook, but I really want to have decent artwork for the cover, and some online reputation as a writer before I do that. 
          So far, you're definitely not alone in receiving few sales on Amazon. I've heard a lot about no sales from others who've made a much more serious effort than mine, and they were people, like you, who were doing well elsewhere.

I think it's the usual problem:  over-supply.  When a new idea comes out, the early adopters make money, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon.  There are so many ebooks out there now so you're expected to sell for one or two dollars a book. Hardly worth it!

You're right. I'd like to try it sometime, but like I said earlier, I think it'll take having some following already. We'll see if that happens.

working