Interpreting Hubpages Policy on Gambling (Poker) Related Content

1. Doc Wordinger profile image94
    Doc Wordingerposted 4 years ago

Just after I signed up to HubPages in early 2011, I published three hubs about poker.

One hub is about the greatest ever poker players, another is a product review of the best poker products (tables, chips etc) on Amazon and the other hub is a 'how to' article about organizing a home poker night.

Recently, I started thinking about whether I was inadvertently contravening HupPages' terms and conditions with these poker hubs. I reread the guidance and rules on gambling related material. Hubpages says,

"Hubs that promote or link to sites that offer or promote gambling for money are not allowed. Discussions of gambling rules, strategies, or events are generally acceptable. If you are unsure if your gambling-related Hub is ok, please contact us for clarification before publishing your Hub."

It is clear from this paragraph that promoting online poker or gambling sites is forbidden. It also states that gambling strategy, rules and events are 'generally acceptable' topics. But what about hubs that make reference to the money that is wagered in gambling (however small that reference may be)? Would this be considered 'promoting' gambling for money? Or would you consider this simply 'acknowledging' gambling for money? Where do you draw the line?

I firmly believe that I am not falling foul of Adsense policy because none of my poker hubs contain links to gambling websites, nor do they promote online gambling in any shape or form. However, they do make reference to the money that is used in poker for tournament buy-ins and to wager bets.

I want to ensure that these Hubs are 100% in line with Hubpages policy on gambling. I'm pretty sure I can re-edit if necessary to remove reference to money but this would render them a slightly impotent. Who wants to read a home poker guide that ignores money? And how can you measure greatness among famous poker players without reference to the money they have won?

In the worst case scenario, I'd rather un-publish these hubs of my own volition rather than have them unpublished by staff due to flagging alerts. I feel that the 'greatest poker players' hub is completely acceptable but the other two may be borderline due to the interrelation between gambling events/products and gambling wagers.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of Hubpages community members on this topic, especially experienced Hubbers and Hubpages staff. In retrospect, I should have emailed Hubpages before publishing the articles. I can easily re-edit or un-publish them within 24 hours if they are deemed inappropriate.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
      Jason Menayanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would read this Learning Center entry for more detail: … ol-Content

1. Doc Wordinger profile image94
        Doc Wordingerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the link Jason but I've already read this a few times. I think I'm just going to re-edit the hubs and remove all references to money. At least that gets rid of any doubt.