jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Please explain The Google "Spam Penguin."

1. ThunderKeys profile image82
    ThunderKeysposted 4 years ago

What is it in the simplest terms?

How does it affect page rank for the average hub or blog post?

1. TNB profile image61
      TNBposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't know what Penguin is, but Paul Edmondson said that HubPages wasn't affected by it much.

2. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Unless you saw a major drop in search traffic immediately after April 24, you most likely were not affected. Many of see a normal fluctuation in traffic towards the weekend. Did you see a major drop in search traffic?

http://searchengineland.com/penguin-upd … ice-119650

ThunderKeysposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No drop in traffic, - just wondering what this new Google Penguin is.

3. jacharless profile image81
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

Penguin is the latest in a Series of Planned Algorithm changes in the Google Data System. This particular emphasis is on Keywords and Links.

Spammers often set up link clusters inside pages and overload with keywords/tags in order to fool the spider. This includes Links As Keywords. The algorithm is designed to read through both follow and no-follow links, as well as, content to determine if the information/content matches the Link and Keywords or if it is just Spun Content/Malicious Content (ad clusters, info harvesters).

Think of this as a noose tightening method to root out spam content, spam comments and even malware to some degree. It is a 'genuine' effort to stop Black Hat and improve White Hat SEO. And certainly to improve Google's own product relevance. Keep in mind, Keywords and Links also effect Ad Displays.

Both Short and Long-tail Keywords (even tags) need to be reevaluated in-page, and possibly within the meta headers...

Here is the Penguin Algorithm Explained, in more detail. Keep in mind, this effects mostly Short-content (back link) sites and Blog Networks. One to be hugely impacted is WordPress.
    Also, here is an extremely useful article for writing content on the web post-Panda.

It is a good idea to take an hour or so to read through each Search Engines Guidelines, which is called White Hat.

In December, I sent a letter out to my web clients, informing them of massive changes to their eCommerce sites and back linking strategies. Last week on Craigslist, nearly 100 posts were placed regarding help with eCom SEO, because millions of eCom sites got clobbered. I would post my articles, but HP calls that self promoting...he he.

ThunderKeysposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow James. Thank you for such a helpful and detailed response to my question.