jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Do hubbers approve of backlinks from other websites on their own hubs?

1. Clayton Fernandes profile image82
    Clayton Fernandesposted 4 years ago

If an outside souce puts up a backlink with a "nice message" to one of your hubs in the comments section, is it good to approve the comment, or do you deny it straight away, or do you see if you can put up a backlink on their website. Some feedback would b appreciated, Thank you!

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I automatically deny all comments with links in them.  I don't want to have to worry about what those links are and have to go click on them to see if they're something I don't want on my Hub.  I feel bad if someone took a long time to write a long "message", but a) we never know if the person really meant that "nice message" of was just putting in a little more obligatory work in order to post his link, and b) I have too many Hubs to have to treat/think about comments with links on a case-by-case basis.  I use my "comment time" for responding to non-link comments that people post.

This may not be very "Internet-like" or "friendly" of me, and maybe I'm just a big control freak; but I don't like people coming along and deeming what ought to be posted on my pages by turning them into their personal bulletin board.  hmm  I just figure that there are more public sites for posting links, and there are other people's own sites for posting their own links.    I see a person's Hubs as their own, private, thing (sort of, anyway).

Clayton Fernandesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

thank you very much, and no i think you're right. i was honestly confused, if i should be nice and let it go or be like, why backlink freely if not remotely interested, unless we can swaps links on your site too. (site seems dodgy anyways)

1. IzzyM profile image85
          IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My bolding. Google doesn't like two way links, so that is not a good idea in any case.
          I also disallow comments with links, unless I consider that the link and the comment with it really do add something to the hub.

2. Dorsi profile image89
        Dorsiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Very well said. I have been going through and removing links on my hubs that I should not have allowed. If it adds greatly to the content I let it stay after I check it out. This a great topic BTW.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Anyone who says "nice Hub" or "great work" with a link is very obviously just trying to get an easy backlink.  They've got no interest in my Hub!  So I deny it straight away.  I'm not going to click on the link to see what it is, in case it's malicious.

If the person has left a long, meaningful comment with a backlink, that's different.  I'll read the comment, visit the link and then think about it.  Quite often I will still delete the comment, but not 100% of the time.  It all depends if the link really adds value.

Thank you marisa it completely makes sense, i dint even think about malicious links!!!

3. Lizam1 profile image81
      Lizam1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I thought it was against hub rules to put a link in comments.  I wouldn't do that but I have offered people who may be interested in an organization the opportunity to email me.  I probably would deny a linked comment for the hub rule reason.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image91
    mistyhorizon2003posted 4 years ago

It is also against HP TOS to use the comments section to self promote, although there is some flexibility on this based on the Hub Author's judgement. I judge each case based on the comment and where the link leads, but I will advise a hubber who posts their link in my comments that they should really have asked first and that they have broken the HP TOS. Outside comments I tell them it is against HP TOS to allow SPAM on hub comments, but if it is useful to the hub content and not to a commercial site I will allow external linked comments.

thank you for the heads up misty!, truly appreciate it!

3. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Usually I delete self-promotional link drops. I did not make the effort of writing an article so that my content could be a free billboard for somebody else. How would you feel if you found that someone had added stickers advertising their books to the covers of your books in the local Buns & Noodle store?

Rarely, I may leave a link drop if I feel that the link points to a resource or related article that would be interesting to my readers. In other words: does the linked content add something of value, which is strongly relevant to the topic? In that case, great! I may add a link to it in the body of the article.

But if I think the link dropper is just trying to exploit my content for self-promotion, it's gone.