Let's talk strategy - incoming links and outgoing links, what works?

1. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 4 years ago

The need for me to learn more about website development has gotten even clearer to me after I just lost over 75% of my traffic since the latest Panda/Penguin roll-out. I have to admit I was so disgusted I had faint ideas of throwing in the towel and just not looking at my laptop for awhile.

In the spirit of my dads favorite saying "never give up", I am reassessing what I can learn and what kind of damage control I can do right now, one piece at a time.

So as far as back-links are considered, what does a writer/website developer want to do when writing? Say like me, I have a new personal website (my name) that I want to draw more readers to. It however has no authority. So it seems I need to decide to drive traffic there or drive traffic back here to my hubs? I know many of us writers has websites here. A solid strategy seems absolutely necessarily - no willy nilly cross linking, etc. (btw Marissa your info has been invaluable and much appreciated, I've learned alot)

And backlinks that readers put in your comments? How do you writers deal with these?

When linking to other sites in your hub, what's your criteria for that site?

And RedGage - bad or good to link to or from?

And what about the newest kid on the block - Pinterest? Bad or good to link to or from? Considered spammy or ???

If anyone has any good advice on backlinks please contribute and feel free to post good hubs/youtubes/articles about easy to understand back-linking strategies.

I think this could be of great value to us striving to learn website development.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image92
      PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I added long lists of links to other articles that I'd written (both at HP and other websites) at the end of most of my early hubs.  I am now deleting many of those links.  Whether it will have a positive effect or not, I really don't know, but it is worth a try...   smile

1. Dorsi profile image90
        Dorsiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think that is a good idea. You know we learn as we go and we have to always try to make improvements, tweaks and do what we feel is right based on what we learn. We are all in this together!

I am in the process of going back through every one of my hubs and deleting comments with questionable links. Alot of work and I'm going to be very careful what I allow in my comment box from now on. In fact, I may add something to my profile to that effect: "In order to give my readers the best possible reading experience, comments with links will not be approved. Other comments however are welcome and will receive a response" or something to that effect (of course hubbers or writers I know that provide a quality link - well that's another story)