Weekly Topic Inspiration: Advice for Aspiring Entrepreneurs

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (100 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

What advice could you give to people interested in starting their own businesses? Share your tips and entrepreneurial expertise as part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration challenge! If you don’t know where to start, I’ve put together some search-friendly titles below:

Essential Lessons for Every Small Business Owner
    Starting Tips for Small Business Owners
    Small Business Ideas for Women
    Good Small Business Ideas
    5 Successful Small Business Ideas
    How to Get Small Business Start Up Grants
    Grants for New Businesses: A How-To Guide
    How to Create an Online Business Start Up
    A Guide to Creating Your First Online Start Up Business
    X Cool Online Businesses to Start
    Starting Your Own Online Business: A Beginner’s Guide
    How to Get Money for Business Start Ups
    How to Get Business Start Up Money
    Where to Find Start Up Money for Small Businesses
    Business Start Up Ideas: X Amazing Examples
    5 Great Ideas for a Start Up Business
    Small Successful Businesses: X Inspiring Examples
    Successful Start Up Businesses: X Inspiring Examples
    X Successful Businesses to Start

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone,
      Out of your many great titles, I chose "Starting your own Online Business: A Beginner's Guide".  I will probably mess around with the title, but the title that you offer is exactly what my quandary is at the moment.
      I just may join in this weekly contest because I am aging-aren't we all?-and I am starting my own business, as a writer.  I am going through this exact process at the moment, thus my p.o.v. will be different from one who is already an expert.  It would not be an 'advice column' but a sympathetic, understanding sort of Hub by someone who is going through the same process.
      The p.o.v. I am talking about would hopefully be somewhat unique, and I know I will learn much that I need to learn right now!
      Thanks for this great topic-if you had anything to do with it...wink
      Later, S,
      L

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally can't wait to read this Hub!

2. Kaili Bisson profile image96
      Kaili Bissonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone,
      It looks like Victoria Lynn and I were thiinking along the same lines. I replied to your Topic Inspiration question earlier today and then got to work on a hub. It is called "How to work from home - 5 important tips" and is found here:
      http://kailibisson.hubpages.com/hub/How … rtant-tips
      These are tips that I found to be very useful when I began working from home just over 2 years ago. I will also reply to Victoria Lynn's post below.

Great way to leverage some personal lessons learned!

1. Kaili Bisson profile image96

Thank you Simone. I have just edited the hub to add a few photos. If someone here could kindly have a look to make certain I have done the attributions the right way, I would really appreciate it. ty!

2. MarleneB profile image92
        MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your tips are great. You covered everything a person needs to know when working from home.

3. Victoria Lynn profile image88
        Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's mine. I've linked it to Kaili Bisson's, since we both offer tips from our own perspectives.

http://victorialynn.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … -Home?done

1. MarleneB profile image92

Excellent tips. To remind my spouse that I am working, I disigned a sign that says, "Writer at Work!". It's very colorful and cute so as to be a friendly reminder. It sits in a plastic holder at the front of my desk. The sign reminds him that I'm actually at work (like a real job). He respects the sign. It has been the best tool ever - to decrease distractions from people in the household.

3. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When we talk about entrepeneureurial expertise, can it be about a specific type of business? Like, say... "Starting Your Own Childcare Business" or "Starting Tips for Recording Studio Owners" I don't know... I'm new to all this, and I have no clue!

It absolutely can be specific- I'd recommend it! The more niche you go, the more competitive you'll be within that body of online work. I think both of those potential titles would be great.

1. profile image0

Thanks Simone, I didn't see your reply. I will participate this time. I hope I don't drift off into a different subject... and end up talking about how to contact Steve Job's spirit for business tips. big_smile

2. profile image0

Can someone answer my question pretty pleeeeease??? sad

2. Mmargie1966 profile image86
    Mmargie1966posted 11 years ago

I'm not as knowledgeable about this topic, but I want to learn.  I look forward to reading some great hubs on the issue!

1. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile great attitude !

3. brittanytodd profile image88
    brittanytoddposted 11 years ago

Here's mine! 

Starting Your Own Online Business: A Beginner's Guide
    http://brittanytodd.hubpages.com/hub/St … ners-Guide

Brittany-this hub was exactly what I needed to read to NOT be intimidated by the online businesses.  What a great hub.  UP and awesome!

1. brittanytodd profile image88
        brittanytoddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much, Denise!  I plan to add more to it when I get the chance.  Thanks again!

2. Docmo profile image92
      Docmoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great Hub Brittany- easy to follow ,practical hints and tips. Voted up!

Thank you so much, Docmo!

3. Simone Smith profile image87

This is splendidly formatted and filled with great tips. I especially love the graph you created showing online seller fees. Awesome!

Thank you so much, Simone!

4. MarleneB profile image92

I liked your hub. It is expertly written and filled with solid information.Your chart showing entrepreneurs what different companies pay is most valuable. It's nice to know ahead of time what to expect. You covered it all.

Thanks, Marlene!  It's so important for sellers to see the fees before they sign up for a site like eBay or Etsy.  Thanks again!

4. ElizaDoole profile image82
    ElizaDooleposted 11 years ago

Great topic inspiration!
    I've done How to Be a Successful UK Entrepreneur.
    http://elizadoole.hubpages.com/_o934ac9 … eneur?done
    Of course, Sir Alan Sugar got a look in!

You've taken a wonderful approach- entrepreneurship is definitely different in different countries (and regions, now that I think of it), and I enjoyed reading about how starting a business is a bit different across the pond smile

Fascinating! Since I live in the US, I never thought about how different things could be in the UK. How very different things are over there. But I'm glad to read that with the right information and direction (such as you shared in your hub), people have a chance at some great opportunities.

5. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

Is it okay to write about something related but not exactly that, like: Tips on Working from Home, or How to Successfully From Home?

Hi Victoria Lynn,
      Please see my reply to Simone....you and I were definitely thinking alike! Maybe you have some further useful tips you could add to the 5 initial ones I offered up?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Kaili Bisson--Yes, we ARE thinking alike. I read your hub and commented on it. Those are all great tips. I actually had a few different things in mind, so perhaps our hubs would compliment each other. I'm going to work on it. If and when it comes together, I will also link to your hub for more tips for readers. Thanks for pointing yours out!

Super...please let me know when you have your hub finished and I will link to it  :-)

2. Simone Smith profile image87

I'm assuming you have already gone for it, Victoria Lynn, but if not, go for it!!! Working from home can be perfectly entrepreneurial.

Simone, you assumed correctly. I am already working on it!! Thanks!

6. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 11 years ago

Hello everyone. I thought that this would be a good way to jump into HubPages. This is my advice about what kind of online business to start.

http://digbyadams.hubpages.com/hub/How- … p-Business

I like your idea. You are a genius! Your approach to starting such a business is awesome.

I found this really inspiring, DigbyAdams. And daaang- that's just your second Hub? You're going to kick butt on HubPages!!!

1. profile image0
        DigbyAdamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. I'm going to try to respond to your Weekly Topic Inspiration every week. It seems like a fantastic place to learn what hubbing is all about - and you've done the work of finding great titles for us!

3. Denise Handlon profile image85

Hi Digby Adams...great hub to start with.  Looks interesting and full of info.

7. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

I wrote it, but it's too long (1736 wordcount)... I didn't think I'd have so much to say! sad What's the recommended length?

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

ALL RIGHT PEOPLE!!! HERE IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT! AND A LONG ONE IT IS! YOOOOOHOOOOO!!!
    http://klarawieck.hubpages.com/hub/A-Gu … ic-Lessons

I enjoyed every word. Don't worry, it's just the right length. You covered the subject well. Very nice hub.

1. profile image0

Thank you, MarleneB. I guess I had a lot to say. big_smile

1. profile image0
          Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I left you a comment.  I wouldn't worry about a Hub's length because that's the writer's call. For Hubs,  I've written anywhere from 500 to 2,000+ words, but I do like to babble at times.  It goes with being retired and not seeing anyone for days.  Anyway, your article was fascinating.  I would never have the guts to promote my business and find clients like you did.  Then teach them, too.  Some people have it in them to start and keep their businesses going.  The rest of us wonder how you are able to do it!

Klara-glad to see you here jumping in!

1. profile image0

Thanks, Denise. Let's see how far my ADD allows me to go. Lol

lol

Long indeed, but PACKED with super useful advice! Thanks so much for sharing all those great pointers!

9. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

The one thing I wish I had learned when I first started my online store that sold eternity rings was how to do a keyword analysis. It seemed so complicated at first, so I hired a consultant to help me get the gist of it. In my hub, I want to share what my consultant taught me about keyword analysis and how important keyword analysis is to helping me develop a web store that actually made a profit. Although I paid a hefty consultant's fee, I didn't have to pay anything for these valuable tools. Of course, you have the option to spend a little money to add more in depth analysis, but the free tools work just fine. To learn more, here is the link. http://marleneb.hubpages.com/t/2fd6de

Hey, live and learn, right? Way to turn all the lessons you've learned into a super useful guide!

Yep! It seems my life is filled with life's little lessons.

2. Denise Handlon profile image85

This looks great!  I'll be back to read it when I am more awake!

10. profile image0
    timmathisenposted 11 years ago

I needed a distraction so I gave this a whirl.

http://timmathisen.hubpages.com/hub/Med … e-Business

You got me started with the title of your hub! Hilarious. And, to boot, for those who "get" it - some good advice to be had.

I'm so glad you needed distraction. This was a hoot!

3. Denise Handlon profile image85

lol  what a great title!

11. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I have this bad habit of treating any writing assignment as my last, and since I have a very hard time coming up for air, the only thing I'm doing is my writing.  As a stay-at-home writer, you will always need balance.  You may get the writing done, and that's about it.

http://arlenevpoma.hubpages.com/hub/Sev … me-writers

Arlene, you provide excellent advice. Every writer should read your tips. And, you must have been looking at my rose bushes, because they are in need of some serious attention. I need to stop writing for a moment to trim them before the buds turn to rosehips.

1. profile image0

Marlene, I will never be an expert at cleaning house.  But letting my roses go?  Oh, noooooo!!!

1. profile image0

Arlene, I loved your hub. Job well done!

1. profile image0

Thank you, klara!  After reading your article, I am tempted to get out my sheet music and play my piano.  It does need tuning, though.  The last person who tuned it wanted to burst into tears!  It was that bad.

Ah balance! That elusive, distant glimmer of perfection! I'm glad you pulled that healthy POV into this week's theme.

1. profile image0

Thanks, Simone!  There is only so much that you can do on a daily basis.  So when things get overwhelming, that's a sign that you are doing way too much.  Shut it all down and ask yourself what you really want to do.  I hate housework, so I work that into my breaks.  Otherwise, it piles up or won't get done.

I'll be reading these a little later-I'm currently midway through my five  (12 hr ) shifts.  sad    No fun this weekend!   

In the meantime, Señora Poma, 'Ole'  and love the new avatar!  lol

1. profile image0

Thank you, Denise!  Five 12-hour shifts?  I would be the biggest whiner to work with.  Unless I was nodding off.  How do you do it???

I need to get in a recipe Hub by Cinco de Mayo (tomorrow).  I tried making this enchilada sauce last week, but it bombed.  Too much cumin.  Yeeccch.  It was soooooo awful.  Back to the drawing board.

Yummy, Arlene. Looking forward to your Cinco de Mayo recipe hub. My 7 layer dip has been getting lots of views. I love cumin, but maybe too much is too much! Good luck!

1. profile image0

Ah, yes, Victoria Lynn.  I do remember that recipe of yours.  Oh, YUM.  It could be the only thing I make because Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow.  I was thinking about you because my brother's birthday is on the 4th.  And since you have a background in Spanish, I thought of CINCO AS THIS SUNDAY.  DUH.  So much for spending one's lifetime in California, where it would help to know Spanish.  So that's one less day for me to play in the kitchen.  Jeez.  DUH.

Oh that is funny (no offense).  I hate when my anticipation is high and the results bomb!  lol    Yes, get back on that pony, girl, and ride, sally, ride!

Oh--I am a zombie right now.  I've not been to sleep yet because I was coming down from the exhilarating evening I had with 20 patients and one take down.  In the process of the take down I inadvertently was pepper sprayed!   My best uniform is permanently stained!  sad    I

This stretch is by far the longest I've done.  Coffeeeeeeeee    smile   

Good luck with your recipe.

12. profile image0

Oh, no, Denise!  Not pepper spray!  I used to do cell extractions, and if I couldn't talk the inmate out of holding his food tray or covering up his cell front or window, I would just pray that he would give up.  I was always the "extra" on the team because it wouldn't take too much to kill me.  Slam me against anything, and I would be done (I'm 5'2").  That pepper spray is nasty in the air and when it is sprayed on you.

Yes, if I were hit with pepper spray, I would be whining so much that someone would put me in a cell and walk away.  I am no happy camper when around pepper spray.  I used to be a child asthmatic to boot.

13. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 11 years ago

Alrighty, I finally did one.  Here she is and she is longgggg.

The Truth About Starting and Operating a Pet Sitting Business

This was a wonderful hub, wordscribe43   smile  Great job.

Wow! I didn't know the business side of pet sitting. There really is a lot to consider. Excellent hub.

3. profile image0

A lot to think about.  I think it's hard enough taking care of one dog that isn't yours!

14. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

Excellant hub, mts.  smile

1. profile image0
        mts1098posted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks wink

2. profile image0

Bravo mts! Excellent hub!

1. profile image0

thank you wink

3. MarleneB profile image92

This is an excellent hub. Thank goodness for Item #96. I really need to heed that much needed piece of advice.

1. profile image0

Your are welcome...take as much as you need wink

4. Simone Smith profile image87

Yeah, this is great! SO much useful information packed into one Hub!

May I make one recommendation? If you move the first photo capsule to the side of the second Text Capsule, the formatting will look a bit more polished and folks will be able to dig into the meat of your Hub immediately.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
        wordscribe43posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't that contradict what Paul E just said about having a leading photo though?  As per his advice, I've been moving photos for the past 24 hours...  It was one of his "hints".

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/97175#post2074556

I can see what Simone is talking about. I read the article because the title grabbed me and I wanted to read the information. So, the photos were not a hindrence. However, before Simone even mentioned it, I was thinking the same thing she said. I was thinking that (in this case) the photos would actually be an enhancement to the article if they are placed alongside the iinformation in the second capsule. Part of my logic is that, since the content makes reference to the photos, the reader doesn't have to scroll back up to see the photos. For instance, the photo of the logo was mentioned in the article, so I had to scroll up to see what the logo looked like, then scroll back down to finish reading the article. I enjoyed the article, nevertheless, because it really did contain a lot of highly useful information. The placement of the photos (in my mind) would enhance the reading experience.

Wordscribe43, leading with an image is a good thing, but burying one's content can be a hindrance. I recommend floating first images to the side, or just including one full-width first image. This keeps the content from being buried.

15. profile image0
    DigbyAdamsposted 11 years ago

Wow, participating in the Weekly Topic Inspiration is definitely a great way to be inspired about HubPages! I think I've read all of the Hubs and it's interesting to see all the different viewpoints and perspectives. It's definitely a great learning experience about hub layouts and content.

smile   It's fun isn't it...not to mention a chance to meet new people.  smile

2. profile image0

Digby, you're a smart cookie to look into the WTI.  Sometimes I think of it as constant inspiration that most Hubbers have not discovered.  Like a kick in the pants to get you writing.  There will be times when you'll take off on your own because something has got you thinking.  I look forward to checking out the new topics each week.  Lots of fun and supportive writers on WTI.

3. MarleneB profile image92

I agree with you. I recently discovered the Weekly Topic Inspiration, myself. I enjoy it so much that I have made reading each topic a regular part of what I do on HubPages. I learn so many things I have never learned anywhere else. All the writers are excellent at the craft. But, most of all, I find the writers in this forum to be very classy people who encourage and help. They have all been an inspiration to me. This is my favorite forum. You could say I'm a WTI addict.

Wow, that makes me so happy!!!

16. profile image0

Marlene, you and your writing took off like a bullet!  Glad you're here!

Thank you, Arlene. I am glad I'm here, too. I really enjoy the company.

;lol;  just woke up and I'm heading back to work...two more shifts to go.

So you two realize that your names rhyme? hee hee  Arlene and Marlene, hee hee     Oh boy, my patients are in for a real treat tonight...silly me.  smile

17. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 11 years ago

Thanks so much, Denise, Marlene and Arlene!  It was such a fun hub to write.

18. profile image0

You're so welcome, wordscribe!

Denise?  Denise?  Where art thou???

Ohhhh, bummer man.  I was on a five day work stretch-you know, the 12 hour shifts from 7 pm to 7:30 a.m............zzzzzzz......zzz.....zz....z   

Yeah, I really had hoped to get one in, but it was too late.  I was in survival mode with just sleep/eating/working cycle.  I did make it and woke today at around 12 noon-too late to really organize any research and writing.  sad   

Well, maybe this week will work out.    How was Cinco de Mayo for you?  lol

19. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

I really enjoyed everyone's Hubs this past week. I hope you'll join us with our next theme which delves into the medications we take!

1. Mmargie1966 profile image86
      Mmargie1966posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great topic!  I'm working on it smile
      Thanks, Simone!

20. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 11 years ago

Achh, Simone-too late, I guess, but here it is:

http://lorlie6.hubpages.com/hub/Scammer … ng-Scammed

Crazy, yes?

tongue on me!

Lorlie6-don't despair.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  Truly useful information.  God bless.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, Denise-you are such a doll.  Thanks so much for your kind words, and God bless you, too.

smile  thank.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)