jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

I am not quite clear on 70, 60

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 4 years ago

I am working hard to make excellent Hubs and love doing this. I have been on for less than a week. What does the number mean exactly next to the title of my Hub? Thanks and I would like to say that this is a top-notch site and I have already enjoyed all the writing and others so much.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image87
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Welcome! I'm sure that you'll enjoy yourself here. It's a good group of people.

As Cagsil says, you should read the tutorials. They explain a lot.

Just quickly, the number next to your hub title is the score that others have given to your hub. It starts low and goes up as enough readers vote your hub up. Even after you reach higher scores, you'll see hub scores fluctuate slightly, because they are also tied to your hubber score and a bunch of other things that are both ethereal and delightfully entertaining.

2. Cagsil profile image85
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile

The number next to your profile picture is a Hubberscore/Authorscore. It's a rating system HubPages uses.

You should probably visit the Learning Center. It will have a lot of information which can be helpful. I posted the link below and a couple of others to help you out.

The Learning Center: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ's): http://hubpages.com/faq/

3. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 4 years ago

If I were you I would stop publishing new hubs and look at my already published hubs to see if I could make them more interesting to the the reader, as they are in my opinion in danger of being flagged for purely personal or poor content.

Have a look at the learning centre and look at the hubs being produced by some of the authors here- experiment with style and content and use the features such as video, more photos , a poll or quiz or even the map capsule.

When I started I didnt realise that you could have more than one of each capsule, you can and it makes it easier to manipulate the content.

It is a learning process where we all start somewhere but it is learn, learn and learn again

Good luck and best wishes!

Diane Woodsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for saying what you did, evidently it is to make me a better writer than I am already...Take care and I am relieved once I re-read your post....

1. CASE1WORKER profile image85
        CASE1WORKERposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We are here to support each other- I am sure that most of us have re written our first hubs at least five times- I  know I have!

4. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 4 years ago

You think my posts have poor content? I am sorry you feel that way but I think whomever is scoring them may differ from your opinion. However I will look them all over to see if I need to edit and of course will. Are you one who is in charge of ratings? For my sake alone I sure hope not. I will keep an eye on my profile ratings for sure to see what is happening. Not sure whether to thank you or not for the comments but thanks for writing.

1. Cagsil profile image85
      Cagsilposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey Diane,

I'm going to have to agree with Case Worker and her assessment of your writing of hubs. Don't worry, it's a common occurrence around HubPages with new people.

I reviewed all 7 of your Hubs and found only 1 article which by the guidelines of HubPages shouldn't be flagged. Meaning, there are 6 other articles that could be flagged because there's not enough content on them.

If you would like, here's a suggestion for you. To verify what I said, then you should open another forum thread, but this time post in the Extreme Hub Makeover Forum thread and ask others to critique your hubs. Specifically, the size of the content and see what others have to say on it.

5. leahlefler profile image99
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

Hi Diane, your scores (and the scores of your hubs) will usually start out on the lower range and increase over time. Most hubs start out with a score of around 50. Detailed articles with multiple capsules tend to earn higher hubscores. Adding in original photographs or using public domain photos with proper attribution helps, too (you can try wikimedia commons for free public domain pictures). You have a great start here. I'm not that seasoned, but I can give you a few tips:

1. Read through the materials in the learning center.
    2. Read hubs by some of the top-scoring writers to get a "feel" for a layout that works well.
    3. Add original photographs or properly attributed photos to your hubs.
    4. Make sure all hubs are over 500 words in length.
    5. Add in capsules such as polls or quizzes to make your hub interactive and to keep people on the page for a longer period of time.
    6. Try adding in youtube videos related to your topic - this also keeps readers on the page for a longer period of time.

Good luck to you - keep writing! You're onto a good start.

Diane Woodsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is great, I may take my laptop in the office after a bit to print this out so I can read it. Sometimes I read too hurriedly when on my laptop...Thank you for taking the time to write and I do appreciate it so much. I know that even though I have had 3 pieces publioshed before joining hub, I still have a long way to go. thanks!! Have a great day...