Please Restore the Slide Show as an Option

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

If you have more than one image you HAVE to have the Slideshow.
    You used to be able to turn it off in the 'settings' tag.
    It ruins the appearance of the image with the black message.
    Please allow authors to opt out or shift the horrible black link to below the attribution etc.
    Authors spend a lot of time taking and editing images only to see their display ruined by the clumsy slideshow black link. The first image is the most important and this is the one that is ruined.
    Please
    1. Let authors opt out of the slidehow (first preference)
    2. Move the black slideshow link to below the first image

Please

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Agreed. I had all mine turned off. I hate the slideshow!

3. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I vote for that! I think the visitors are used to slide shows and prefer them.

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some images such as technical drawings and diagrams are not suitable for slide shows. Why can't the author decide whether they want a slide show on their hub. If the images are inappropriate it makes the author look stupid and destroys their reputation. Please give the authors the option as it used to be.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I will agree. Hubbers must have a choice on whether or not to use the slideshow on their hubs. To eliminate this option which apparently has now happened is ridiculous.

The slideshow viewer was supposed to be active when there are 5 or more photos on a hub, however, even that has changed. I have a hub that has two pictures on it and I still get the slideshow for those two pictures.

This means that the slideshow is automatic and never used to be this way. Not to mention, there are some hubs I had turned it off on, for a reason. Now that reason is meaningless.

5. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I agree too! I do a lot of instructional hubs where it's essential that a user can click on a photo next to the text and get a larger view - the only way they can see the picture full size now is in the slideshow - and this is not intuitice! Also - with this type of hub, a slide show simply doesn't make sense either.

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are ways of stopping the 'horrible black link thingo' from destroying your beautiful first image:
      => only use one image
      => add a white band to the bottom of the first image about 25% of image height ( you have to fiddle with it ) so that the 'black thingo" appears well below the image. Silly and time consuming work around.

That's my current approach - I emailed HP but to no avail. Hopefully if enough people support this it could be changed???? Attribution - that's another story!!!!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6577355_f248.jpg

1. snakeslane profile image79
        snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Bill Yovino profile image88
      Bill Yovinoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OMG! I didn't realize they went fubar on this too! I have several technical hubs that show screenshots of critical junctures in software configuration or installation. Now the user can't enlarge the image in order to read the vital text on those screens, rendering my hubs useless. This is a show stopper!!!

I can't write another technical hub until this is resolved and I would recommend that anyone else who writes technical articles find another publishing venue until this is addressed.

6. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 11 years ago

I have to say that Hubpages has ("have" for you British types) made some really dumb moves lately. This is just another one that makes our hubs look less than professional. I don't know if you have a new person in charge of layout and design, or the old one has suddenly developed a psychosis, but each change just makes things worse.

7. Bill Yovino profile image88

As a follow-up to my previous comments, I checked my hubs that are not technology hubs. I have a travel hub with photos I took of some really scenic places in New Zealand. The photo capsules are full width and have the caption "Click to enlarge". With the recent changes however, when a reader clicks the photo, it gets smaller, not larger. Are you serious?

8. Bill Yovino profile image88

Adding to my comments in order to bump this issue up again. Removing the ability to click on a photo to enlarge it has seriously devalued my technology hubs. Technology hubs and screenshots go hand-in-hand, as many such articles use images to guide readers through complex interactions with the computer. This functionality MUST be restored.

9. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

I have a hub where I would like to turn the slideshow off. sad I would like this option back.

10. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

I'm also very frustrated by the one-size-doesn't-fit-all slideshow.

I use many images which only make sense in the context of the article. Worse, some of them are diagrams with details that are too small in the slideshow. They weere great when we had the option for people to click on them to get a larger view, reinforcing or teaching a point in a different way,but now the information provided by the full-sized  images is lost. (My sunspot photos, for example, look pretty boring when you won't let people enlarge them enough to see the sunspots clearly.)

Also, of course, the black slideshow button is covering the most important image on the hub.

But even if that were fixed, having people click on a slideshow in many cases will be confusing and/or distract them so that they then don't read the rest of the page, which means fewer clickouts and sales in some cases.

If we have pretty pictures that are easy to understand before the visitor has gotten into the body of the hub, of COURSE we will turn on the slideshow option!  There's no reason to force slideshows on hubs where it will confuse the visitor or look poorly-designed.

Look at the rest of the web. A limited number of articles have slideshows. More are structured essays with a graphic illustrating specific points in the content, and they don't have slideshows.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)