jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Too Many photo Hubs

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Whats going on with the very short and only photo hubs?
    I try to hop a few and am unhappy with what is being submitted.
    Why does HP allow only photos without much writing?
    And why isn't there a program to disallow a Hub of 100 or less words?
    These are making HP look too spammy...

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I spent a bit of time hubhopping because of your forum post, something I haven't done for a long time.

If hubs are in the poetry category, I bypass them completely.

What I saw were some hubs that seemed to have some worth, but most (other than in the poetry category) were spun or put through some gawdawful translation app. I flagged those.

I didn't find "photo" hubs, as you describe, but then, I didn't spend an hour looking.

Hubhopping is a nice thing for hubbers to do if they want to waste their time, but it's up to HP, not their contributing members, to police their site.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image88
        Bedbugabscondposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, bit if you help police you get a badge, right?? tongue

2. moonlake profile image89
      moonlakeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have some hubs with lots of photos I suppose those would be the ones you want taken down. I don't mind photos but only if there is something explaining why the photos are there. The photos often tell the story.

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I love photos and as a photographer I can appreciate their value,BUT this is a writing site and if I wrote on a photo site, the others members or admin may delete them.

If there is a mostly photo hub then maybe a short paragraph under each photo may help.

3. Cardisa profile image90
      Cardisaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Stacie, flag them. There is a warning on every hub that is created with less than 100 words but HP still allows it to be published. The hubber is the one ignoring the warning. The next step would be not allowing the hub to be published.

My suggestion to HP would be having some sort of program installed that would prevent the hub being published in the first place. Then some perimeters could be set per category....such as poetry 50+, recipes 250+, photo galleries 50 words per photo/ no less than 5 photos. Stuff like that so the hubs, so long as the warning exist the hub will remain unpublished until you fix it.

4. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 4 years ago

I agree. When I hub hop, I try mentioning this but will do it more, since I find another hubber in a agreement. smile

5. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 4 years ago

They should be flagged for low-quality if you feel they are substandard. We experienced this several years ago with Bollywood pics they unfortunately need to be flagged. But if you feel uncomfortable with that, e-mail them personally and let them know there hubs are substandard and could be taking down if not corrected. That normally works. smile

1. Ms Dee profile image87
        Ms Deeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Interesting, AEvans. I though HP contacted them about the substandard hub after evaluating our flag. So, I do not email them, myself.

6. SmartAndFun profile image92
      SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

I think some hubbers are participating in some sort of hub challenge, "Photo-a-Day May" or something like that. Maybe the single photo hubs will die down after this month.

7. brakel2 profile image88
      brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

There are too many inferior sites, and not enough staff to get rid of them. Can we email the writers about their hub to tell them about bad grammar etc?  A website had a short grammar quiz for writers to pass. What else can we do?

8. brakel2 profile image88
      brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

I agree. If a photo could have an explanation     by photographer about setting and inspiration, it would make a big difference.

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago

I have flagged some for low quality (way worse than blog-like, almost like short FB posts saying "Here I am this morning!" - with little or no content and maybe a photo or two. But they're still posted.

What worries me, aside from the fact that these 'hubs' don't reflect the standards the site sets, is that if Google uses this sort of thing to determine the ranking of 'writing' sites, we are all being penalized.

10. Mark Ewbie profile image84
      Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago

Photo Hubs.

Create page.
      Add some photos.
      Share them on Pinterest.
      Collect some cents.

Repeat hundreds of times, possibly using some sort of bot.

11. A C Nortal profile image60
      A C Nortalposted 4 years ago

I imagine that it is because of the tumblr craze that is currently going on. They're trying to use their hub in a way that is more like tumblr, rather than posting there.