jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

1. Crystal Tatum profile image88
    Crystal Tatumposted 4 years ago

As a professional journalist, I don't write anything without citing the source from whom I got the information. This standard has kept me from writing in-depth hubs, as I have very little time to do what I believe to be adequate research on some of the topics I wish to explore. While I may know about some of these topics a bit from personal experience, I believe it's necessary to do additional research and possibly even interviews with experts to get a high-quality, accurate and ethical hub.

But I've noticed that there are many hubbers that don't cite sources at all, and I find it hard to believe that all are experts in the topics they right about, especially those who write about a variety of dissimilar subjects. While some of these hubs are very well-written, I wonder if the information is paraphrased from sources that are not being cited.

What's the standard here on HubPages for this kind of thing?

1. Dale Hyde profile image86
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The only time I post a source is if I in fact copy a line or two from a page or article.  Knowledge gained from research, to me, is knowledge earned and can be written in my words.

I do no interviews at the article level. I do them in various other formats from time to time.

To write about a subject, again, my perspective, does not mean that I have a ton of on hands experience, but that I have gained knowledge, as stated previously, from hard research on my part and formed my opinion based on my research. Then I present my perspective.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Unless it is blatantly false, illegal or incomprehensible: no.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

This site was neither created by nor for professional journalists.  Or even experienced writers.  In fact, some of us are pretty sure that based on a recent poll that the admin team sent out to the site users that admin themselves aren't sure what this site is for.

As stated in the 2nd and 3rd entries from the site FAQ:

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I have added sources to the bottom of a few of my hubs. Most of what I write does not need sources and can easily be checked. I gather my facts from a few places. And, like Dale, if I do take something from somewhere else or paraphrase it I say where it came from either in the text of the article or at the bottom.

If I were working for a newspaper or was being paid $25 per article then I would think of doing interviews, etc.

5. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

I've just finished several years in a bachelor and master program where sources had to be cited in painful detail on research papers. I'd rather just write the article, and am relieved that I can do that now without a formal reference page. (I don't tend to quote, but would give that source.)