jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Duplicate Content

1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 4 years ago

I write quite a few How To hubs for Microsoft Excel. Within these hubs there is always going to be duplicated content such as

"Click on the Insert Menu" (especially when creating charts)

and other generic terms that add value to each hub.

My recent hub was marked as 'duplicate' and was 'moderated' and unpublished.

While there are definited 'duplicate texts' between two of my hubs it's very generic duplication and the important parts are amended accordingly.

Surely when checking for duplication there has to be a review of the context. While I have rewritten parts of the latest hub it seems very counter-productive to have to re-invent the wheel every time I do a How To hub that has many common elements with a prior hub!

Any advice on how to overcome this problem is much appreciated.

1. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Move the hubs to your own dedicated site on Excel!

2. 0
    cottageindustryposted 4 years ago

Do you check your final work on copyscape.com? I think snippets of duplication cannot be avoided especially technical stuff. I am new here and having similar issues.

I do think because hubpages gets so much spam, they generally view all contents through the same lens. I admire what you've done in three years and would gladly follow you.

I personally just do what they say and if it keeps getting flagged for some other reasons, i just delete the hub and publish it on my main site.

1. janderson99 profile image86
      janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes HP will publish it as an exception  - I have several of these (the red label remains on it for ever).
      I too use copyscape.com for blocks of text.  - That works!