jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why does my format always get lost when I save?

1. 77
    Nick Geraceposted 7 years ago

I'm trying to publish a poem.  The way I formatted it is...

Line 1
    Line 2
    Line 3
    Line 4

Line 5
    Line 6
    Line 7
    Line 8

....and so on

But when I save it, it comes out looking like...

Line1 Line 2 Line 3 Line 4

Line 5 Line 6 Line 7 Line 8

...and so on

If I try to edit it, I go to where "Line 1" is supposed to end, and I hit "return",  But that only makes "Line 2" go two full lines under "Line 1".

What's up with that?  I saved it in both Word and  Note pad and got the same result.

1. mortaine profile image71
      mortaineposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I came to this question because I have the same question, but I think for a different reason. I do know HTML inside and out, so it's not a problem of knowledge in my case.

None of the formatting buttons in the text editor work for me. They'll bold or italicize temporarily, but then when I save or publish the hub, the formatting disappears. Similarly, I included one link and it disappeared when I published.

Plus, when I try to edit the HTML, and put in something like a line break (br) tag, which is supposedly in the very small set of HTML permitted-- it doesn't save. Instead, the br tags are stripped out entirely.

Basically, I have paragraphs, capital letters, and asterisks to do my formatting. This is more than a little frustrating, particularly since it looks like Hubpages should have the tools to make formatting work.

Anyone? Help?

2. mhei profile image79
    mheiposted 7 years ago

Hi Nick!
    How about adding an html code <br> or just don't copy-paste, hit on enter every after line..I hope that helps

3. 77
    Nick Geraceposted 7 years ago

Because I'm ignorant and don't know what you mean LOL!