jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)

anything new re:traffic?

1. Marye Audet profile image91
    Marye Audetposted 4 years ago

I have been really sick... and in hospital and now home on bedrest so I have not kept up. Anything at all new on the Google front?

1. lobobrandon profile image83
      lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you know about the Penguin update, then there's nothing new after that as far as I know smile Others may have something to say though. Sad to hear, hope you get well and are back on your feet soon.

2. Purple Perl profile image81
      Purple Perlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Get well soon,Marye! Listen to some soulful music to relax.

1. Marye Audet profile image91
        Marye Audetposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps Google will change their name to Popper next

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I heard there will be more Penguin updates tongue not sure what they are focusing upon with the next round though.

3. waynet profile image50
    waynetposted 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure the next update will be the full Google Zoo and then they'll start giving names to the Pandas and Penguins!

1. JKenny profile image92
      JKennyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Cool idea, perhaps the next penguin update should be called Pingu or something.

2. KeithTax profile image80
      KeithTaxposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think vulture is the next update name.

4. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Google Knowledge Graph prelaunch.

Remember my recent discussion about what Semantic Search means for content writers and how to avoid too much traffic loss? This is a form of semantic search, the kind of thing I was warning about.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image89
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

Some more people have plunged.  A few have recovered.  General slide continues.

Since the Panda and Penguin updates and Paul E's hubs and comments, the only real development has been the introduction of the Google Knowledge Graph which GG has mentioned.

We are coming to that time of the month when they introduce new algo updates, so there might be some more turbulence soon... who knows?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image89
      PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago in reply to this

PS Sorry to hear you've been sick, Marye!

1. Aficionada profile image93
        Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ditto that! I hope you're completely well and recuperated/-ing now.

6. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Photos should pick up even more traffic thanks to the new Google related sear ch previews that were just announced.

1. jacharless profile image82
      jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Indeed. I just wrote a web-software tool for photo optima.
      Unfortunately, unless HP sets up a better photo storage method, it won't do much for Hubbers. Each time you upload a photo, the name is changed to a short-code of s4.hubimg.com. It should have a unique name that corresponds with the Article Title.

example:

uploaded photo name: http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6550811_f248.jpg
      actual photo/title name: PHP Captcha Generator Script Tutorial

zero photo optimization ability. sad

James.

1. Greekgeek profile image96
        Greekgeekposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Slight correction: there's about 20% photo optimization ability.

The caption on a photo uploaded to Hubpages gets fed into the alt-name for that graphic. So you can still get the keywords in there, at least a little bit. Also, I've noticed that in Google image search, if you mouse over each image, it shows the title of the photo capsule and often quotes a few words from nearby text. I can't tell whether that's only for display -- something to help the searcher find out the image's context -- or whether image search is actually using that text as clues to identify the image, since the filename's not there.

I agree that it is frustrating; optimizing images for traffic is one of my favorite ways to GET traffic. The caption kludge is imperfect because a caption is not the same as an alt-name. It''s a lot more text, and therefore makes it hard for image search to guess which words are what the picture actually is. But one can at least optimize that text.

1. jacharless profile image82
          jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you're right.

The need for additional text kind of defeats the purpose -or at least stretches the gum as far as possible. My experience with Bing & Yahoo is named Images. So "PHP-Captcha-Script-Tutorial.jpg" or "chocolate-mousse.png" have a better overall appearance ratio than say DSC-0009HGNMOGKTEFFboghm[1].jpg with the added caption/alt/tags.

Optimizing images is not easy without powerful scripting, because of the file type. But it can be done. I tested the modal on WP that returned considerably  more organic UV a day for a client. An non CMS return was just off the chart.

But, all in all, the most important element of SEO for Photos is this:
          Use ALL the parameters to your advantage.
          Size
          Color
          Type
          Then apply the subject {tag/keywords}
          And then see the related/trending {referral} types in that image pool.

James.

7. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

My traffic, which fell by 90% a week ago has now increased six-fold overnight. I'm not going to be regaining previous traffic on this site, because I have used this last episode as an alert call to move my best hubs over to my own dedicated web sites. However, I now seem to be able to look forward to the hubs left here becoming reactivated.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image89
      PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's interesting.  Maybe what you see as your "best", Google saw as your "worst" and removed the penalty when you moved them away?  Just speculating.

working