Get paid to proof read Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (35 posts)
  1. sharmav profile image60
    sharmavposted 11 years ago

Would you proof read hubs to get paid? How do you charge?

1. Dame Scribe profile image57
      Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Prices would vary - a lot. Some are experienced, others are not. Some have a great command of grammar whereas others, couldn't care too much. I think it all depends on if getting paid hourly, by per word, per hub? I highly recommend shopping around and negotiating.

2. xanzacow profile image59
      xanzacowposted 11 years ago

Does such a job exist?

1. PenHitsTheFan profile image68
        PenHitsTheFanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, count me in.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Although I offer editing and proofing services, I would feel weird  working on Hub Pages and being paid by another hubber.
      I'm here to write my own hubs or volunteer.
      Not find clients.
      Too close of a community for me.
      But others likely feel differently about it.
      Good luck!
      smile

4. StephanieBCrosby profile image81
      StephanieBCrosbyposted 11 years ago

I would certainly proofread hubs to get paid. There are two main reasons: 1)Any writing is content and is therefore up for grabs in terms of asking for my services and 2) HubPages wants quality content. So, if me proofreading means there will be more quality content, then I am all in.

Like Dame Scribe says, the rate would vary. With my regular proofing services, the client would have the choice of a flat rate (mostly for manuscripts), per word, or per page. Since hubs tend to be on the shorter side, I would probably charge per word or a flat fee after assessing how much work might be required. I would also based the rate on what the hubber wanted me to read for. Some people just want a light proof, for grammar, mechanics, etc., and some want a heavy read for context, ideas, connectivity, etc. So it all depends on the client and his/her expectations.

5. ddsurfsca profile image72
      ddsurfscaposted 11 years ago

I would feel more comfortable with proofreaders being non-hubbers.  It is too close being checked by peers.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I think they would necessarily need to be non-Hubbers, but anyone who decides to pay for proofreading should be VERY careful that the person doing it actually has proven the necessary understand of grammar.  It's not at all uncommon to see Hubbers who think their grammar skills are better than they really are.  If someone for whom English is not his/her first language pays someone for whom English is, there's a good chance the the paying person won't recognize less-than-stellar English grammar in a proofreader.

Someone interested in paying for proofreading services may be better off looking for a proofreader on somewhere like ODesk where people can prove their skills by being tested, demonstrating skills over a certain level, and including "certifications" with their profiles.

I just picture someone's paying "any-old-English-writing" Hubber to proofread, only to discover that his/her Hubs still run into problems over grammar issues.  A lot of people offer proofreading services on their HP profiles, and a lot of them really shouldn't.

6. dialogue profile image63
      dialogueposted 11 years ago

This is the first time am hearing about this Proofreading Jobs.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure there are actual jobs being offered - it sounds like a hypothetical question at this point.  Deciding what to charge would be tough.  I have seen some writing in various places (not always Internet) that I wouldn't proof for any amount of money.  Proofing the work of someone who is already an accomplished writer and just needs a back-up set of eyes is indeed a paid skill.  But it is much less time consuming (and frustrating) for the proofreader than trying to 'proof' a piece by someone with little command of writing, even if they're native speakers, or someone who simply has no skills yet and does not express things well.

8. Howard S. profile image89
      Howard S.posted 11 years ago

I do both proofreading and copy editing. If I accept a job, the first one is complimentary. After that, I charge based on my estimate of the work involved. As a professional linguist and translator, most of my work has been with non-native speakers of English.

Having said that, I really hesitate to make my next point in the same reply, but there is no other way to do it. I have read many hubs promoting editorial or proofreading services. Most of the promotions themselves include grammatical errors, misspellings, typos and errant in-text links (from misuse of the "suggest links" feature). Many authors who need a proofreader would find it difficult to spot those errors. I suggest that after two or three potential proofreaders have been identified, it would be advisable to ask a third party to review them and make a recommendation.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your point about those who think they need a proofreader for their Hubs is my concern "on behalf of" those considering paying someone.  The person who would consider getting a proofreader isn't likely to recognize some of the flaws in those profiles (or elsewhere).  If nothing else, one wonders why someone who offers proofreading services wouldn't at least run grammar check (which would pick up SOME things) on his own profile (and that's not even addressing the fact that those people make some of the errors they do in the first place).   hmm

9. Hypersapien profile image43
      Hypersapienposted 11 years ago

I would proof hubs for pay. I suppose the amount charged would depend largely on the word count of the hub.  That said, I'm not sure if it would really be a great idea.  I can already foresee disagreements arising about the nature and quality of the work performed, and before you know it the site will be full of people badmouthing each other.

10. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Nope!  I have a hard enough time proofing my own Hubs.  Why pay $$$$ to have a Hub proofread when you can use that professional service on something like a novel???  A Hub, at the most, will pay you in pennies over time.  You will probably spend much more on its proofreading than what it will earn.  Way more.

11. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I am special English riter for proofings on the internet.  Many many valuable customers will praise my readings and give me whole lot of dollarz in the PaymentPal.

I say NO - too many peoples are asking mes for work.  In some exceptionatical casements I will do extra work for extra money but I am not cheep.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How do blog?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read my blog, it tell how do blog wink

2. cascoly profile image59
        cascolyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

can haz hub-burger?

3. David 470 profile image80
        David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

ROFLMAO, you are a star Mark lol

5. SantaCruz profile image68
        SantaCruzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pleased to inform me of your interest to put the two heads together. Writings on the webpages I do with great frequency and vigor.

6. Turtlewoman profile image90
        Turtlewomanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha, Mark! I can't afford to hire you, but perhaps we can exchange goodies. I have a lot of extra black markers and sharpies around the house.

12. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years ago

When I were a English teechr, I had to eddit essays on a daley bassis allmost. Sense I retared, I hav dun edditting an prufe redding for uthers. I'm rilly gud!

1. noenhulk profile image61
        noenhulkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hehehe. Hire me. I can help like you.

13. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 11 years ago

I can help you proof-read one a week for FREE. I did this a while ago for 2 Hubbers who wrote, but English was their second language.

1. PenHitsTheFan profile image68
        PenHitsTheFanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That was nice of you. That would be rough trying to blog in your second language. I can picture me blogging in my broken spanish. I hope no one wants to talk about anything other than my family or grocery shopping. LOL

2. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kudos to you! I've done the same thing for a few hubbers, but time constraints are a big problem now.

14. SantaCruz profile image68
      SantaCruzposted 11 years ago

I've edited others' hubs and it was worthwhile to them because bounce rates went way down. My editing includes proofreading, developmental editing & keyword research.

Plenty of hubbers write pretty well but have glaring mistakes in their opening sentences. Unless the topic really interests me, those errors make me want to click away. It's because the person's trustworthiness goes down.

15. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 11 years ago

It would be of very little economic advantage to pay someone to proof read your hubs, but that is just my opinion.  In the past I have actually helped friends for free, and maybe you should ask someone who would be willing to do that.  Now if you are going to be submitting your writing to a publication, I think paying someone would be the way to go.

16. SantaCruz profile image68
      SantaCruzposted 11 years ago

With all due respect to SweetiePie, paid revisions do make economic sense for some hubs. If a hub is promoting something valuable such as estate planning services or is linking to valuable classic cars on eBay, then one great article on HubPages can be worth much more than the editing fee.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Per Hubpages rules we are not supposed to write overly promotional hubs promoting services like that.  The average person is not going to benefit from paying someone to edit their hub, and I highly recommend someone looking ask friends to help out for free first.

1. SantaCruz profile image68

There seems to be a misconception here about making money and being overly promotional. "Content marketing" is now very well-rewarded by Google's ranking algorithm. Content marketing involves providing useful or entertaining material (articles, videos, infographics, etc.) -- stuff that IS NOT directly selling but just naturally draws a crowd. That's what I'm talking about. For example, if I had half a brain, I would take the time to link my Hub account to eBay. Then my article about Louis Wain's schizophrenia and cat paintings, which is not at all salesy, could link to a $5000 auction item of his work. This is how it can be worthwhile to have a professionally reviewed hub. If anyone wants to read more about content marketing, see my article about it here: http://vabulous.com/content-marketing-t … business/.

To me it sounded like you were promoting a specific estate planning service, and that is not allowed according the Hubpages TOS. Also, the average person is not going to be writing hubs about things like that, so I will stand by my point suggesting the majority of Hubbers save their money, and ask a friend to help with proof reading.  You could also buy a book on Amazon, and teach yourself much of what an editor would do anyway.  When friends band together they do not have to pay someone to read a hub, and such.

1. SantaCruz profile image68

I'm with you that helping each other or trading is best smile. Still, lots of people think that their friend's or mother-in-law's editing skills are great, for example, but in reality their skills don't transfer to the web.

Well, if you can find someone who has expertise with English and editing, then that would be a good idea.  Not just asking anyone, but I just would not invest this much effort in a hub smile.  Now if I had my own website where I was running my business, I could definitely see hiring someone to edit that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)