jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Pen Names on Different Sites

1. cryptid profile image92
    cryptidposted 4 years ago

In your opinion, or in your experience, is it better to use the same pen name on every writing platform you use (here, Squidoo, Wizzley, etc) or is it better to have a different name for each site?  Just interested in some thoughts from experienced web writers as I try to sort out my own.  I can see positives and negatives to both points of view.

1. WannaB Writer profile image92
      WannaB Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I wish I had kept the same pen name for most sites. HubPages is the one writing site where I'm different. For twitter and Facebook I stick with barbsbooks, since I started them to promote my book business. On MyLot I'm completely different and don't want what I say there connected with my business because it's a site where what I share is much more personal than other sites. Only a few people there connect me with other profiles.

In the beginning I was just so excited about writing and being read I wasn't thinking about branding. Now I am. Although I do write in different niches, I don't see a reason yet to start different accounts with different user names on the same site. Seems to me it just makes things more complicated.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

I don't think it is recommended to have a different Pen Name for every writing site you're on. Google looks for "authorship", last time I checked and if you have too many different Pen Names, then it will be harder for you to get "authorship".

At least that's my take on it. If I am wrong, then I hope others will say so.

3. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

I go by 'Janet' on most sites

4. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

A pen name is like a brand. Use pen names for niches -- like Ellis Peters using one name for historical novels and another for mysteries -- regardless of publishing platform.

1. rmcrayne profile image93
      rmcrayneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. 

HubPages was my first online writing site.  I really wish I had known enough to have kept my clinical topics separate from everything else.  I've joined a couple other sites and published a few articles, and have chosen a couple names for different niches.