jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Link issues

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

There is a fantastic website with valuable information for pet owners, to which I wanted to place a link.

The website is up and running, and is a valid site.

However, the page loads extremely slowly, and I can't place the link, because the HP "test link" utility calls it a "bad link."

It is not a bad link--it's a valid link, and works fine--it just requires patience.  Apparently, the 'test link' function has none.

Is there a workaround for this problem?  I've contacted the site owners via their FaceBook page, to let them know, but there is little else I can do.

Suggestions welcome....(It's a WordPress site, if that info helps at all...)

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I had that problem with a site on my breast cancer hub. I assumed it meant that that particular site was not seen as acceptable, maybe due to spam issues, spyware, etc. I found other sites that were more reputable and had the same information.

DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah..this is a particular niche, and this is a one-person-driven campaign to get the word out.  It's not a spammy site at all....it's perfectly reputable, and frankly, there are no others that even address the issue, let alone have the same information.  ...  (at least, not that you could unearth in a lifetime of searching.  ) 
        Besides, I am part of their campaign, and I want to do all I can to help them out...so, no, there are no other sites I can use.  I wonder, what if I place the link anyway, without running it thru the "test link" function...  and just explain that the site loads slowly, so please be patient...maybe just use a text capsule instead of a link capsule... ... ???

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If the links capsule says it's a bad link, then you're right to email the webmaster because they may have a serious problem.  It could be that the site has been hacked in some way, and that's why it's loading slowly.

It's a problem even if it's just a slow load time, because Google hates slow load times and will not rank the site - which means they'll never get the word out!

Post the link here and I will have a look at the site and see if I can spy any problems.

You may be able to get around the problem by using a text capsule instead of a links capsule.  However it sounds like they need some help getting their site working effectively.

Thanks, Marisa--
          It's an all-volunteer organization, and the woman in charge is trying to balance it all with a full-time paying job...We all know how hard that is.

It was she that I contacted, as I have no idea how to contact the webmaster for a WordPress site--which is more like a blogging site, isn't it?

Anyway,  the URL is:  http://tinytimmy.org/     And the site is titled as "Tiny Timmy's Healing Journey."

(It sometimes loads faster or slower than others...I'm unsure if it's a browser issue.  Sometimes I'm using IE; sometimes Firefox; less often, Chrome.)  I've not really made note of the browser I was using at the time...I thought of that after the fact...

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Definitely not a browser issue. I just tested it with Pingdom, which says it "loads slower than 87% of all websites" - which is awful! 

In fact, it didn't ever load up properly for me, until I refreshed the page. I checked on http://validator.w3.org and it has 105 markup errors (errors in coding), which could be a big part of the problem.  She also has far too much showing on the home page.

I'd be happy to fix the issues for her, but it would mean trusting me with the admin login and password and I can understand she may be hesitant about that - happy for you to ask her though.

Thanks, Marisa--I will forward the information, and ask her.  That is very generous of you.  I know it would help them get the word out much faster and easier--in fact, she had recently posted a plea for help on their FB page, asking if anyone was familiar with Word Press.
            (She can always change the passwords after you've fixed things, if she has an issue with that.....)

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

OK--Hopefully 'bumping' this up to the top again...on a different link in a different hub!!!  I got a broken link alert, and sure enough, the original link did return a "404 error."  So, I did a search for the subject of the link, and easily found another page with the same general information..  but guess what???

It's happened again!!!!  As soon as I hit the 'test link' button, it reported, 'bad link!  (This time, it is NOT a matter of a slow-loading page---the page was listed at the very top of the search engine, loaded almost instantly, and I was still on the page, copied/pasted the URL....so no typos...

How can a link to a page be reported as "bad," when I'm still ON the freaking page to which the link leads????!!!

And no, it's not a 'spam' site--it's a historical information site, with information on the non-profit society maintaining the historical location as well as information for genealogical research and how to join the society, if qualifed through your lineage!

Perhaps the link here will be 'snipped,' but I put it here as a test...and guess what?  It works!!

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hello. This site is loading for me about as slow as the first site you shared here, which, by the way is still loading extremely slow.  What is happening is the link tool here is getting impatient waiting for the page to load hence the link error that you are getting.

I would think that it may be a server issue. However, I am no webmaster. I do know that if I had clicked on it and it took as long as it did to load, I would not have waited but went and clicked the next link in my search results. People and "filters" are extremely spoiled with a quick load! I think some don't remember the good old first internet days of the dial up where you clicked a link, mowed the yard, cooked dinner, grabbed dessert with a glass of wine just in time to see the page finally fully loaded. smile

Right--I do recall those days, and they sucked! wink

However, when I clicked this new link, it came right up...and the danged link-check utility didn't even wait at all; less than 3 seconds before calling it out as a "bad link."  I've heard of impatience, but that is beyond ridiculous!

3. paxwill profile image81
    paxwillposted 4 years ago

Did you try writing the web address without making it a live link?

Not yet, paxwill, but that's about my next move...I can also turn it into a link with the link tool, or add the link in a plain text capsule...those options work as well.  It is just frustrating that the purpose-designed 'links' capsule isn't seeing active links properly.