Another Copying Site ... Has Been Stealing Our Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. kittyjj profile image68
    kittyjjposted 11 years ago

That is another copying site which has been stealing our hubs from Hubbers at Hubpages. 
    My hub How to Cure Vitiligo Naturally was copied and pasted onto this website:

<link snipped> under the name "Zimmer". 

This bad guy changed the pictures but didn't event bother to change a word of my hub. 

Here are some of the hubs that belong to our hubbers here:

Great tips for a family vacation
    New Moms Eating Placenta
    Gray Hair: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments
    The Trayvon Martin Case Is A Blessing In Disguise
    How to make money while using the HubPages.com?
    How to Hire a Good Manager?
    What is behind the dry eye syndrome?
    The Value of An Online Presence for Small Businesses
    Saw Palmetto for Hair Loss
    Guillain-Barre Syndrome

I didn't have time to check all the stolen hubs there.  You might want to go check it out if your hubs are there.  I demanded that bad "Zimmer" to remove my hub from that website NOW.

1. joanwz profile image80
      joanwzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up. How did you find out about this site?

1. Lord De Cross profile image70
        Lord De Crossposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gathering info about this site. Seems that the posts ended on April, the time Big 'Mess' ZINE attacked us. We will see! An we will  take further action accordingly.

2. davenstan profile image60
      davenstanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It looks like the articles were spun. Nevertheless I don't appreciate my article being stolen. I checked copyscape and nothing came up. I wonder why.

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Thank you for being so vigilant and your heads up on this Kitty!  smile

Good on You mate! smile

3. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

Thanks, kittyjj, for letting us know. I will check out the thieving site right away.  Thanks again.

4. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 11 years ago

From the FAQ entry: http://hubpages.com/faq/#copiedhub

It's understandable to feel frustrated when someone copies your Hubs without your permission. However, since HubPages does not own the copyright to your Hubs—you do—you must assert your copyright under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). We suggest following these best practices.

1. See if there is a way to contact the site and file a DMCA (a formal copyright infringement complaint) claim by email or form. Be sure to follow the DMCA format we share in the Learning Center entry to the letter. (Any mistake in the format of your DMCA complaint will mean it will be ignored.)
    2. If you can't find a way to contact the site, then use WHOIS to find an email address for the site.
    3. If you do not receive a reply within a few days that the offending content has been taken down, then you can file a DMCA complaint with Google (select Web Search) and Bing (email dmcaagnt@microsoft.com). This will not get the copied content taken down, but it will prevent it from appearing in Google and Bing search results.

As the copyright owner, you may also consider bringing legal action against the infringing party.

kittyjjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jason.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

You have also given him/her a backlink to a quality site too.

6. denisemai profile image67
    denisemaiposted 11 years ago

Uninvited Writer is correct. Maybe you should edit your post and omit this person's address. Backlinking to this site only helps his cause!

7. Horatio Plot profile image73
    Horatio Plotposted 11 years ago

Hi Kitty,
    I'm so sorry this happenened to you.
    Jason is right, your best course of action is to file the DMCA. The copy will be removed.
    But I come back to a question I asked when this happened to me. If Google is so clever that it can identify an article from a few copied and pasted paragraphs, then how come it can't do that just after the thief who has his hot, greasy little hands all over your Hub clicks on submit, and simply not allow that posting to happen? Both Blogger (which is Google) and Wordpress could do that without so much as missing a heartbeat. But they don't. Humm...

Thanks everyone.  I just filled a complain on this site.
      http://automattic.com/dmca/
      Hopefully that works.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It won't because the site is not hosted on Wordpress.com.

It's created using Wordpress.org, which is a software package. 

This blog is obviously created by some newbie who doesn't know much about creating blogs - he hasn't even deleted the sample page!  There's no contact page so you can't contact him, and he's running no ads so you can't report him to Adsense. 

The only thing you can do is file a DMCA with Dreamhost, his hosting company.

http://whois.domaintools.com/99floats.com

Thank you Marisa Wright.  I will check out the link you provided.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

It's a fair point - HubPages can catch duplicate content Hubs, so why couldn't Blogger?

1. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HP does a pretty poor job of catching duplicate content hubs. Always has and probably always will. I'm not sure I would hold them up as the gold standard. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

True, but at least some attempt is made.  So why don't other platforms do the same, I wonder?

1. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

mostly because you have every right to duplicate your own work, work which you have rights to republish, public domain work, PLR work , excerpts with certain limitations, manafacturer and marketing descriptions intended for redistribution etc etc,

There is no reason for most hosts/venues to have any concern for whether something is duplicate

HP is in the unique position of sharing impressions on the pages of it users and technically would be responsible for damages and loss of advertising partnerships if copyright holders held them liable for copyright theft hosted on their site and using their ids to profit from.

or something like that, i guess

1. Pearldiver profile image66
              Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Another dart... another bullseye Josh! smile

2. lrohner profile image67
            lrohnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why would they bother? Who does it help? Jason's standard reply to someone griping in the forums about their work being stolen is "it's not our problem -- it's yours," and he's right.

For example, if Blogger instituted a system of policing copied work before it was actually published, they'd have to add a hunk of staff to deal with the fallout. And what would they gain? Remember, there's no problem with duplicating your own work or works that have aged into the public domain. It's way easier to deal with DMCAs as they arise.

*should've read Josh's reply first* smile

1. profile image0
              paxwillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

By way of comparison, the admin at Infobarrel are very proactive in tracking down scraper sites that republish Infobarrel articles, even though the writers retain the copyright to their work and IB actually takes a smaller cut of the ad impressions, meaning they have less to lose than HP. 

IB also has a much smaller staff than HP, but they still manage to get results after a few days in most cases.

Sure, HP doesn't owe us diddly squat and they are within their rights to let us fend for ourselves against scrapers.  But is that really the sort of website people want to contribute to?  HP's "deal with it yourself" attitude doesn't exactly engender positive feelings toward the company.  whatever.

hmm

8. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

D'oh, obvious answer, what was I thinking?

9. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

Got a 404 code when I tried that website. Is it removed? If so, I am happy!

I think so too.  I just checked it and got a message "The webpage cannot be found".  Yay!!!

1. Lord De Cross profile image70
        Lord De Crossposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There you go KittyJJ. Another site that went down to history..!

10. kittyjj profile image68
    kittyjjposted 11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help and support!  big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)