jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Over 18?

1. dannyhodge profile image69
    dannyhodgeposted 5 years ago

I was wondering why Hubbers have to be 18 or over to have an author account - in Britain, 16 year olds can have a job and be taxed on it, and im not sure about the US but i thought it was a similar law over there too.

So why is this site an exception?

There are a lot of budding writers that are 16 - 18 that are currently unable to use this sites services, yet can't, because of this quote in the Terms of Use:
    'Only adults (18 years and over) may register for an Author account.'

Thanks a lot for reading,
    Danny

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is a rule set by Adsense and as you know they are the major advertiser.

I quote

"Program Participation. Participation in the Program is subject to Google’s prior approval and Your continued compliance with the Program Policies ("Program Policies"), located at https://www.google.com/adsense/policies, and/or such other URL as Google may provide from time to time. Google reserves the right to refuse participation to any applicant or participant at any time in its sole discretion. By enrolling in the Program, You represent that You are at least 18 years of ag"

dannyhodgeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

So shouldn't they be able to write without the use of ads?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
          Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, because the site as a whole is dependent on Adsense and must follow their rules.

dannyhodgeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ahh right, okay then. Thanks for clearing that up smile

2. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

Wow.. you're quite lucky... in parts of NZ you are not allowed to even own a pen or buy stamps before you are 18! sad

working