jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Trying to Find a Job

1. Whimsical Chair profile image63
    Whimsical Chairposted 4 years ago

I'm trying to find a job these days.  It's been tough for me.  I've been depressed, but I know to try to have a positive outlook.  I know to always state positive statements. 

Today, I just realized that if I invision positive, uplifting images of me getting a job could help me be negative.  I was doing a little bit of it and I had some nice feelings inside me.  My question is, "Will this technique help me?  Should it or could it help me?"

1. jenb0128 profile image95
      jenb0128posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know all about the depression over trying to find a job. I lost my job in September when my place of employment shut down. I've been on several interviews and I did the "positive thinking" thing, but I'm still unemployed (even though several of the interviews were for jobs that were almost identical to my previous job, which I had for thirteen years). I'm still sending out resumes, but I've switched to the "whatever happens happens" mentality. A positive outlook is good, but for me, it made it hurt all the worse when that obnoxious "while your background and skills are impressive, we've decided to hire a different candidate" form letter came.

2. 61
      Grayesonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Whimsical Chair.
      Hope is not a strategy.   Neither is positive thinking.   Both can be helpful but the truth of the matter is that one must consider looking for a job to be one's full time job.  Ensure you are maximizing your network of friends.   Ask if they are aware of any available openings.  Polish your resume and interview skills.   If you are getting interviews....but not offers, then probably somewhere in the process you are bogging down.  Do you have good answers for typical interview questions?   Why did you leave your last job?   Were you "layed off" or did you quit?   These are tough times but you must persevere.   As webclinician said: "if you are thrown in the deep end of the pool, you better learn to swim" (my paraphrase).   Hang in there.  You can make it.   Take a look at my Hubs under Job Interview CounterPunch.

2. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 4 years ago

There are physiological, mental and emotional benefits to being positive. But positive thinking does not do magic. Having an open mind and a prepared mind is better.  When an opportunity presents itself, the open and prepared mind will give you a better chance of making a good decision.

3. webclinician profile image59
    webclinicianposted 4 years ago

Positive thinking is a word frequently used by depressed people as well..."i try to think positively but things are just not going my way."
    Life is full of challenges and they are meant to make you stronger. In today's world, either you sink or swim. Hard to swallow but this is just the way it is.
    It took me two years to find the job I want. Not stayed positive all the time but never lost hope.
    Hope will keep you going. I've seen people fell and almost give up but hope kept them going.

4. Whimsical Chair profile image63
    Whimsical Chairposted 4 years ago

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer.  I hope things will go well for me.

5. hscchemistry profile image60
    hscchemistryposted 4 years ago

Hey man,

Get out there and give it a go! You never know what will come your way. I've always been a bit confused that a few people I know were able to get job offers even though they weren't that deserving of it, whilst others were struggling to find jobs too. You just have to stick with it and persevere.

As was said in Napolean Hills book "Think and grow rich", sometimes you have to come across to the person and present yourself with the demeanor that you are THE person for the job - so just have confidence. Don't get down on yourself - you'll be alright smile