jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Photo turning to "portrait" position

1. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

I took a photo for a hub. When I snapped the photo, I held the camera so that the photo would be in the "landscape" format, ie, short and wide. However, when I load the photo into my hub, the program is automatically turning it to the "portrait" position. I've tried several times and it does this every time. Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing this or how to fix it? I'm wondering if i has something to do wth the size of the photo? Thanks!

2. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 4 years ago

You may have to open the original photo which you uploaded from your camera, into a photo editing program. Then make sure it's oriented correctly, make it at least 520 pixels wide (assuming you want it displayed as 'full width', then save it as different .jpg file. Then try uploading that file to the photo capsule. Hope that helps.

3. Outbound Dan profile image97
    Outbound Danposted 4 years ago

I've had the same thing happen to me, with landscape photography automatically turning portrait.  It has happened a few times, and so far I can't find a reason.  Of course at times, when I am taking Macro shots or something, I've realized that rotation isn't a bad thing and actually improves the picture.  Other times, this skewing of my photos have made mountain sides far steeper than they originally were. 
    So, what I do (though it probably isn't the right thing - but it had worked so far) is delete the photo capsule completely.  Then I insert a new photo capsule in my Hub and then try to upload the picture again. 
    So far, it has worked.

4. 2uesday profile image88
    2uesdayposted 4 years ago

The answer timourous has given sounds s good solution to the problem to me.

This has happened occasionally to me in the past but in my case I think I know what causes it. The program that I use to upload my photos sometimes 'corrects' the orientation of the image; if I then try to use it elsewhere it reverts.

The way around it that I use is to save the image the way I want it to be to use in future and give it a new name, while retaining the original in with my downloaded photos. Naming the photos seems like a good idea anyway, so it is not a complete waste of time. Some traffic to my online pages comes from my photos via Google images.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Sometimes the metadata in a picture seems to get 'stuck' making it turn the wrong way up.  There may be better ways to fix it but I find converting formats normally works, e.g. from jpg to gif.

6. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 4 years ago

Just a little note here. If you intend to doing any fixing up on the original photo, save it as an uncompressed .tif formatted file, first.
    jpg, png and gif are 'compressed' formats. This means, every time you save the file, you lose some detail. After you're finished fixing, you should then save your final fix as a jpg, mostly to save time while uploading the file.

7. SmartAndFun profile image90
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I ended up resizing my photo to a smaller dimension and it stayed landscape instead of automatically turning to the portrait position. Thanks again for all the great suggestions! This is such a helpful place.