jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Spam Comments that are not spam.. we never know they exist

1. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

If the HP filters identify a comment as spam you don't get notified that the comment exists so that you have the opportunity to decide if it is spam.. I have found comments several weeks old with people asking for help that have left phone numbers or emails.. Unless you look at the actual page you never know that the comment is there..

Tell us that these comments are left and give us the option to approve..

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I can see why they don't send an email, because people who get a lot of spam would be sent round the bend.  But it would be useful if there was a reminder on the approval page (e.g. you have ... new comments and .... ne3w spam comments")

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

I regularly check the "spam" category in my comment section and that takes care of the issue very easily.  I would very much NOT like to be emailed about spam because the majority of it truly is crap.

1. leahlefler profile image97
      leahleflerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Relache, thanks for mentioning this. I hadn't explored the comments section and didn't realize there was a spam section. I was rather surprised by the amount of spam there! I did find a couple of legitimate comments and approved them, but I agree - I would hate to get an email regarding each and every spammy comment.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've been trying to remember what the old comment approval page was like, Relache.  I recall that in the old design, I never forgot to check my Spam box - somehow it was more obvious than it is now.  Or am I dreaming?

3. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oops, I missed it too. thanks for pointing it out.  I had several non-spam comments to approve!

1. 2uesday profile image88
        2uesdayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Me too, I never noticed it was there until I read this, some of the comments are from months ago sad

3. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 4 years ago

Thanks, I had never noticed that you could look at the spam comments before.

Just doing a review, not so sure why some comments end up in the spam when the poster is saying thank you for an answer to a previous post that was allowed.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I might have an answer for you.  I've noticed a few seemingly innocent comments that were automatically marked as spam. But when I click to the profile of the Hubber, I discover that each and every time it is a Hubber who was banned from HubPages. So my theory is that all their comments are marked as spam so that we can find them and remove them via the "spam" filter in the comments page. 

Follow all spam comments back to the person's profile and see if they were banned. Post a comment here to let us know if you discover any that were not. I'd like to know for sure if I am right about that theory of mine.