Huge drop in page views over the past seven days.

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (237 posts)
  1. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

I am experiencing an overall average off 66 percent less page views per day, for seven days versus a week previous and for the past two months. 

Such a huge drop in page views makes me think that Google has tuned up something again. I do know that I don't have the time and energy to keep trying to tweak to please Google. What was good yesterday, as long is it is not spam or with paid backlinks and such, should be good today. 

I have been on HubPages for a little over five months. I have had to tweak and tweak and tweak the hubs I have up with each Google burp. To me it does not make sense and takes far too much effort and time. By that I mean you try to find out what Google wants this time, go and check all 79 hubs, tweak them, then wait a few weeks or a month to see if the ranking comes back, and then if you see it starting to come back, bang, Google burps again and you have to start all over again.

Maybe it is just me being frustrated, but I feel that a article or hub that ranks at one point rather highly should not be brought down by these burps if there is nothing wrong with them.  My main hub dropped simply because after June 1st, 20 to  30 other sites copied the concept and most of the title.  Google is ranking them higher simply because the copied title and content is on a higher rated site, like "official" news sites and such.  So much for having a number one on Google drop right off the page.

Edit: I think I need a break from HubPages and writing. smile

1. profile image0
      James Agbogunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dale Hyde, you should remove the word "I" from all your Hubs. It seems your Hubs are on your personal opinions. Nobody is interested in your own story. Most of the people that are complaining of drop in traffic are writing their Hubs like they are writing a personal blog.
      It's like the new update is using the frequency of the word "I" to differenciate between an educative material and a personal blog. That's what it takes!

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't find this to be true at all!  Where did you get this info? 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. profile image0

You don't have to believe it! Check your work, it's all about "I"!

Stories and personal experience are being phased out. Just imagine this: "My arms are so weak I can hardly lift them from my sides as I lie down on an old cot for a few minutes after hours of butchering my fellow human beings"
          "my", "I", stories; that is what your Hubs are about. Just like a personal blog! I have been reading through the Hubs of every individual complaining on the forum, and there is one pattern: "stories and I".

I never expected my fiction to garner views and these aren't the one which have been affected.  My how-to hubs have always garnered the most traffic and earnings with most of them not being in the first person at all.  So much for your theory!  lol

The majority of my hubs are not creative writing nor written in the first person.

1. profile image0

Now, let's talk about Hunting and Shooting: "You’re probably asking yourself “How does this writer know this ever happened, especially 900 years ago?” Well I do admit I may be off a decade or so, but I have my reasons for believing as I do. So hear me out, both hunters and animal lovers alike. I promise I would do the same for you".
              It's all about "I"! It's a Story!

Once again, this is not one of my high traffic hubs and has never been.  I'm certainly not going to point out those which are to you.  You may be correct on some very personal hubs, but not all of them fit into your theory. 

If this were the case, no articles which gave personal experience would ever get searched by Google or other search engines.  Can you say this is indeed the case? 

1. profile image0

You just give it a try! You should also reduce the "I" on your Profile page...and see the result coming. Try talking to the reader as it is the computer screen speaking. Google is now taking people to the exact thing they are seeking. And mostly, people are seeking educative materials. Your Hubs are an educated peice, but you should remove yourself and concentrate on describing the material.

I find it difficult to take advice from someone who has been here over 2 years and haven't reached 100K views yet. What's your excuse if you know what Google is looking for? 

2. habee profile image92
                  habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Randy. Some of my most read and profitable hubs are in first person. They're my experiences with certain topics.

There is no sure fire formula for a successful hub, in my opinion.  Some readers prefer a personal touch while others are after raw info and may not care where or how it is provided by the writer.  Personally, real life experience is both informational and interesting if it is written well.  Just the viewpoint of someone who searches, reads, and writes occasionally and what I like.  I doubt everyone has the same preferences or all articles would be similar in style.  Hey Holle!  smile

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
                    Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed.  I think that when people do Google searches, many times they are looking for descriptions of personal experiences.  This can be the most informative information, so people are seeking for it.  Personally, when I am looking for information on a product or a health issue or whatever, I look for articles that people write from personal experience.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
                Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I admit, I have several hubs that are based on my story. But I also have hubs written about medicine (ophthalmology, endometriosis etc) that have suffered more than my "story" hubs as you put it. My best performing hub, is the one about my weight loss. How do you explain that?

I think many of us write to please ourselves along with articles meant to provide other more non-personal info for earnings and traffic.  This guy has no more clue about what actually causes lost traffic here than anyone else lately.  I'm weary of all of the "experts" chiming in with useless advice.  No one, including HP staff, seems to have a clue what's happening to this site.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

I agree Randy. Have you noticed how many hubs have been published lately in an effort to answer that question? All of them say pretty much the same thing.

All I know is my blog, which is purely about me, gets WAY more traffic than my hubs, and that's not saying a lot because I don't get that much traffic on the blog! lol

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
            Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I personally don't think that it is what Google wants, but an opinion of what a person "thinks" Google wants, Barbara, lol. I am not sure if anyone really knows what Google wants from day to day. A mystery! Maybe one of the greatest mysteries of all times....hmmm.... a hub topic perhaps? (mind is working, lol.)

2. Dale Hyde profile image81

I will respond just this once, to the "I" subject matter. First of all I am a teacher, a qualified spiritual teacher, a spiritual writer and have been for decades. What folks have asked of me is for my "personal" views and experiences to gain insight from one who "may" have garnered a "little" wisdom on this roadway called life.

The "I" factor has never been a problem before in any of my writings here and especially elsewhere.  My views seem to be "I" unrelated, that is the drop in views. Not all of my material is "I" centered.

I would have to agree however, that for someone to have been here as long as you with under 100K views, where is all this wonderful insight and knowledge in reference to you receiving this abundance of views on your material?

I have referenced my spiritual material. I write reviews here and elsewhere. Rather hard to not use "I" in a review.

My drops have been straight across the board from hub one to hub seventy nine. The "I's" and the non-"I's".  So that would discredit this being the sole or main reason for my views to drop. Plus, when a hub brings in well over 1,000 views a day for weeks with the "I" factor in it, and then plummets to 300 views a day consistently, well, I don't that that would be a fair "I" representation.

By the way, beings you have read all of my 79 hubs, as you reference "all" of my hubs seemingly are centered on "I", I do thank you for the reads. smile What a time consuming and considerate thing to do before making such a judgmental response to my forum post. smile

ha ha ha... nice...

2. profile image0

I find it funny too!

What?  Your posts?         lol

What do you find funny? Now you have me curious.

3. gracenotes profile image91
          gracenotesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Dale.  If I can't use a little of the first person pronoun "I", my voice disappears.  I'll have to stop writing here forever, and find a more appropriate site.  There is nothing more stilted and awkward than writing everything in the third person, and furthermore, trying to work around the passive voice.  90% of my hubs have at least some use of "I".

The truth is, some people do not feel comfortable using "I" in their writings, and especially not in their profiles.  I found this out years ago.  All of the officers in our communication club were asked to submit profiles of themselves.  One of them piped up, and said flatly that she could never use "I", and she gave the reasons why, but I can't remember much of what she said.

Years ago, my psychologist friend told me that some are other-centered and when you ask them how they enjoyed their vacation, they will reply, "Had a good time!"  Some people try to avoid "I" in their speech patterns.

Interesting sharing of insight there. "I" guess "I" will always be an "I" type of person in the way I share my knowledge and insight with others. "I" certainly am not going to change my lifestyle at my age to please Google. One has to keep in mind whereas Google may be top dog at this moment, another search will come along and beat Google. Always happens, lol, in just about anything to do with online sites.

4. Bedbugabscond profile image94
          Bedbugabscondposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"I" am not ready to pull out my "i"s just yet. I am seeing wonky things happening too, but I have "i"s for a reason. "I" really won't pull them unless "I" absolutely have to. of course "I" have only been here five weeks. Either way "I" think "I" will keep my "I"s for now.

"I" agree! smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That happened to me after the last update.  In the last week, I've seen a big surge in traffic back to my old levels - but I'm not sure whether it's a Google tweak, or just the surge of spam traffic we've been experiencing. 

So have you gone after those sites with DMCA's?

Only the one that I have previously mentioned, Marisa. The others are not word for word and one can not do anything about a title duplicate.

3. profile image0
      Lynda Nickelodeonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Try writing your own FUNNY experiences. Everyone doesn't like to read, but many love FUNNY things!

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Kind of makes me think of stores that have unreliable pricing strategies tongue low one week then high the next. Actions of others becomes untrustworthy hmm like somebody inebriated. I hear you Dale, you're not alone smile we just have to wait it out, after all, we're only catching a ride on their tide tongue

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

If you have something that is worth speaking about to the wider world, my view at this point of time is that you need to place it on your own sites.

I removed the hub that was bringing me 75% of my views here, plus several associated hubs. I am currently transferring them to my own site. I no longer have any reason to trust HP to enable the best profit from this material.

I feel HP--among other such content farms--is being targeted for destruction by the big G.  And like others here, I've lost any confidence in HP to do anything to prevent it. I'll give it a bit before I start moving all of my best hubs, though.  It's too late to get them solidly established elsewhere before my peak earning season is over.  I should have left back in August when I had my account decimated overnight.  Live and learn!  mad

2. WriteAngled profile image74

Well, that really depends to a major degree on the topic and the reader. If someone considers Dale to be representative of their views, they will read what he has to say.

A personal blog may be as valuable or more valuable than personal crap spewed out on Hubpages or elsewhere.

3. WriteAngled profile image74

I would tend to go with the view that hubs banging on about "I" will fail, as exemplified by:

"As a SAHM I consider..... "

"I think [having no declared professional or academic qualifications to make a reasoned statement} that doing xyz will "..... [extensive spewing of personal viewpoint]

1. profile image0

LOL!

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
        Dame Scribeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think a writer revealing they're 'human' is a great touch for articles. Even the techy big wigs will include their own thoughts and opinions, on their topics tongue don't know about that attitude of disrespect for SWAHM's hmm

1. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Given that 50% or more (have no clue of the statistics on this) of women bring up children, many of them while trying to juggle a job as well, whether from economic necessity or so as not to scupper their career, motherhood is more a natural status than some big deal.

I do not see why a woman who stays at home doing nothing except childcare is entitled to feel she is a superior being. Unfortunately, this is the attitude promulgated by many such females.

My own adult daughters have expressed their gratitude to me on a number of occasions for the fact I showed them it is possible to have a life outside the home, give one's children emotional nurture as well as provide for their needs, remain financially independent and make good in a career. They, at least, consider me to be a role model worth emulating. That is actually what matters to me more than anything else.

3. Dale Hyde profile image81

First of all, thanks so much to all who have commented and shared! At least I am not alone here. I am now going to scroll back up and respond to some individual comments here to address specifc areas that were raised.

4. Dale Hyde profile image81

I just checked my views again, and they are continuing to drop even since I posted this a few hours ago. Amazing. I am about zeroed out.

Me too, Dale. It's really disheartening. I've tried publishing new hubs within days of each other, I've tried pinging, I've tried linking from my blog. I'm at a loss. Strangely, my articles on Knoji, are still getting traffic, and I haven't published there in over a month.

It is a tad discouraging to say the least, Daughter Of Maat. My websites remain rather consistent in views as well. No drops there.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just posted on a similar thread about my traffic. My traffic was a steady rise from the start. Even though I never published many hubs it kept rising slowly and was stable rising steadily not in jumps. But, yesterday BOOM!! A bomb on my subdomain traffic fell by over 70% as per analytics and its fallen even more now - just around 250 views!!

I'm not complaining, will be writing else where for sometime and giving other things a try too. Experiment time. I actually planned on doing a 30 in 30 mid June i.e beginning on the 15th or so. Plans changed though.

I believe what Izzy, CMHypno, and I went through earlier was merely a taste of things to come for HP.  Since then many of the touted success stories have taken a fall too.  So much for the advice those of us hit early were given by the know-it-alls on these forums.  My motto is still Time Wounds All Heels!lol

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
              Alastar Packerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good one bro!!big_smile

Merely another way to express one's hope for karma, Alastar  smile

Right, when the pendulum swings back it swings back hard. Randy, in an attempt to be helpful; Dale has a great looking set of hubs but there's 15 links to his places on the profile; make any difference to Big G in your knowledge?

I cannot say, Alastar.  I don't link or backlink very much at all, and my traffic is less than 25% of what is was last August.  Perhaps too many links may be a problem for some, but not for me.  Like everyone else here, I have no clue what to expect anymore or what to do to satisfy Google.  It looks bad now.  sad

Yea, kinda like asking why the author score is always at it's lowest when the views and average hub score are at their highest. Wheres the balance in that sad

After awhile you learn not to expect things to make sense here.  I used to make pretty fair money for having fun on HP.  Now it's turned into something completely different and I seldom write anything strictly for the earnings.  I still enjoy playing around with my fiction, though. Besides, that was the reason I began writing in the first place.  I have no interest in changing things all of the time.  Let the suckers have at it.  I'll just write as I please!  smile

An interesting thought Alastar, about the links to my various online places. But those links are on the profile only and have been there for at least four months, when my views were very high. My drop, this time, that is drastic, has been over the past few weeks with the worst in the past few days.  However, I am not beyond dropping the links on the profile, lol. I am open to all ideas and suggestions that are reasonable.

Oh no! I keep using the "I" thing! smile

I noticed when I went through all some of my hubs and took out all the contextual links, my views went up, but that may just be because I updated the hubs.

2. Alastar Packer profile image71

Dale this may not have any bearing either but do you know your page rank number with google?smile

Haha nice motto smile I'm just glad that its happening before I actually began writing here seriously. All these hubs I wrote were during University days, got a 3 month vacation and thought of writing maybe one a day (in the afternoons), but now I won't. Will try writing on Wiz...  As they say never put all eggs in one basket - even if you're just carrying them for fun smile

Yep, even though I've been here over three years I never had the desire to go all out writng hubs because of my experience on similar sites.  They seem to peak out at around 4 years or so with it taking another year or so for them to start fading away.

I hope this isn't the case here, but the signs do seem familiar to me.  Perhaps things will level off soon and I will be proven wrong.  I hope so, especially for those who have really put a lot of time and efforts into hundreds or perhaps even over a thousand hubs.  But at least they can put them elsewhere if they so choose, unlike on some other venues I've written on.  smile

1. lobobrandon profile image88

HP is my first so I'm new to all these waves and stuff.

I am exploring other options as well, lobobrandon. I think that is a wise thing for one to consider.

5. Dale Hyde profile image81

By the way, Randy, I have been following your input and do appreciate your insight and the way you tend to lift spirits. smile A wonderful attribute of yours. smile

HA!  Some apparently don't think so, Dale.  Especially the hall monitors! lol

Well you have lightened my mood, so that is all that matters to me, the former "I" person, haha! smile

Hall monitors are usually people who don't know their job smile So nothing to worry. Actual people like hearing what you have to say.

Or are simply there to quell dissent, Lobo.  I've seen this done on almost every site I've written on.  They always have an agenda and these guys are no different.  yikes

Hmm... Too bad this is all new to me sad

6. TahoeDoc profile image79
        TahoeDocposted 11 years ago

I have had the same experience. After having consistent and steep rise in traffic, even through the last 2 algo changes, I have seen my hub views drop about 50% since hitting an all-time high on June 2. I'm used to some traffic fluctuation and a natural dip over weekends, but this is different.

I'm putting a link to the hub I had written about the rise, and now the drop. If anyone has a problem and somehow thinks it's self promo, I'll remove it, but just in case it's useful. It's just meant to share information.

Before this, my 'best' hub on anesthesia got nearly 1000 views per day some days. That one, alone, has dumped several hundred views a day.

I don't backlink, I don't sell anything... I write content about anesthesia from a qualified professional's point of view. I had only recently started publishing here again. What you can't see on the second chart yet is that line actually continues to under 800 views per day. Sad sad

http://tahoedoc.hubpages.com/hub/Hub-Vi … Experience

7. Dale Hyde profile image81

Some may notice I posted 79 hubs at the beginning of this post, however, I have since unpublished one and moved it elsewhere. So now it is 78. smile

Haha

8. wordscribe43 profile image91
        wordscribe43posted 11 years ago

My traffic dropped over 80% the other day.  Very discouraging...  I WAS going to stick it out, but now I'm not so sure.  Why, you ask?  Well, I REALLY don't like the fact HP is now advertising how many views our hubs have received.  I have to draw the line somewhere.  hmm

I'm sad, too because I love it here.

9. LeanMan profile image80
        LeanManposted 11 years ago

A couple of my best performing hubs have seen a significant drop in traffic, they have not lost positioning in the SERPS but google currently has a couple of paid links in the top two spots where there was previously nothing, it is now so hard to see that they are paid links due to only being slightly shaded that I think people now click those paid links not the "organic" ones below.. This for me I am sure is how I am losing my traffic at the minute for those hubs..

My hubs have fallen in the SERP's for some terms. Nothing like the usual ups and downs though - these are huge

10. LeanMan profile image80
        LeanManposted 11 years ago

One of my other accounts that has been pretty much dormant and getting almost no views - so I had forgotten about it - has in the last few days suddenly started to get views (I'm not talking big numbers but at least they are all getting a view or several each day).. so something I would suggest has changed in the last few days.. I don't think it is old enough to have "matured"..

11. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Anyone who has suffered a huge drop in views might like to check if their work has been plagiarised.

I have another subdomain about sharks, and one of its most popular hubs suffered a substantial traffic fall in the last few days.

Funnily enough, that hub had been on the hot hubs list one day last week.

I searched Google and didn't have to look far.

Someone with a keyword in domain name site had copied it, and are currently ranking #1 for my article's main keywords, pushing mine down to #4.

I read their site, and all their stuff is copied and badly formatted, but they have built themselves hundreds of links, so Google is still paying more attention to linking than they are to copied content!

I filed a DMCA, just need to wait and see if they get de-indexed.

I did find my main hub (the one that pays me the most, lol) had been copied several weeks ago. Most of the people I contacted did drop the article. However, one did not. I filed a DMCA with Google. A week later Google say they could find no violation and to please give them more information. I then copy/pasted the whole article with another reason why it was duplicate content and they responded a few days later that the page would no longer show in Google.  I have checked and the page is no longer there.

My highest traffic hub was copied too by fanbox or something like that. I contacted them and they got it removed. Didn't have to file a DMCA

My problem now is that major sites have used the same title or very similar which now outranks me on Google. It was like they found out the combo of what was drawing search traffic on Google and jumped onto the bandwagon, lol. I can understand competition, but to copy, well that is never acceptable to me. I guess "age" does not always matter when it comes to Google and such.

I'm sure with time everything should settle down. As I type this my traffic is falling even further and seems to be 50% of yesterday!! yesterday was already 70% lower than usual sad

Falling to the 200 mark at present.

Well, as you say, time may tell. It is rather depressing to see such drops, suddenly. Not just because it is the weekend. I say that because there will be those that pop in and not read everything and say it is because it is the weekend, lol.

I think I will move on to other things for a few hours and see what happens later today in my views here.

It's 7pm here. My traffic usually starts recovering from the Weekend drops. But, the weekend drops have been + or - 50 views (Ya plus at times too)

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

Sounds familiar, Lobo.  Mine dropped from around 1600 views to barely 200, literally overnight in August.  It still hasn't regained much traffic since then.  It seems we can only depend on a short time at the top with no guarantee google will honor the original article unless we prove to them we wrote it.  You'd figure they had the means to tell this already.

Too bad they aren't monetarily penalized for promoting plagiarized content over the original because it would get their attention a bit more than it does now.

Mines dropping from around 600 a day. I just hope this is temporary.

2. Alastar Packer profile image71

Good point Izzy. You interpreted the red flag correctly and knew what to check.  Hope you KO the thief and uppercut their adverts with that DMCA.

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

So is there a site you can use to find if your work has been copied? Or do you have to do a search? I have one hub that came up as a duplicate shortly after I published it, and I have yet to figure out why. But it did well when I published it, so it's making me wonder....

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just grab a section of the text in your hub - preferably from the top or near the top, and search for it in Google.

You'll maybe get more accurate results if you put quotes round it.

You will then see all versions of your exact words that are out there on the net, and can check each site to see how much they have copied.

I hardly ever bother writing to the webmaster to ask them nicely to remove it. Just go straight for the jugular and file a DMCA.

They need to learn!

PS if you are using Chrome, just highlight the text, right click, and choose 'search on Google'.

Thank you Izzy!!

I do use two tools along with the Google search. Both are free and the first one is my preference.

http://searchenginereports.net/articlecheck.aspx

http://www.plagium.com/

12. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years ago

My traffic has been steadily dropping since November. No big sudden drop, really, just a steady decline.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would say virtually the same, except I had great traffic and earnings thru December, and a steady decline since.  My current traffic is about 25% of December.

13. Anamika S profile image68
        Anamika Sposted 11 years ago

My traffic (and revenue) also has been steadily dropping after the Penguin update. Despite of my efforts to improve the quality of hubs and writing new hubs, I have not been able to bring it up. However, I still remain at alexa number 2 spot for traffic which indicates that the overall traffic of hubpages and hubbers are dropping too. I guess I need to look for better ways to improve traffic.

14. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

An exercise in futility.  Work harder for less traffic?  No thanks!  It may get worse and probably will.  smile

1. Anamika S profile image68
          Anamika Sposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand your frustration. I have always been an optimist and keep reminding myself, 'Tough times do not last, tough people do'. Let the fear of failure not stop us from trying.

I am not at the point of not trying, but certainly time to stop, look and listen. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image63
              Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's funny you should use "stop, look and listen".  I still have some traffic (knock on wood), but it's down considerably.  I used to think of myself as "being in a  yellow light mode" (proceed with caution).  These days, I'm not in a "Stop light mode", but I am kind of in a "Stop-sign mode" (which still leaves moving forward to my discretion, but which certainly is no "green light mode".  Most recently, I've kind of gotten out of the car and ventured off into the woods, to see what I could see.   lol  I don't know..   There's not a lot of money-making in the woods, but it's been kind of nice.   smile

It is wonderful to simply get out into nature and enjoy oneself, relax and get away from the computer/internet world! smile I think I need to remember to do that more often myself. True, there is not many money trees growing out there in the woods, but a lot of things have no dollar value. smile Thanks for the reminder!

I was actually speaking metaphorically.  (I hate the real woods, but I like the idea of them (for other people).  lol )  I pretty much meant getting away from the whole traffic/earnings thing and just writing whatever/however the heck I feel like writing out there in Internet No Man's Land, or else offline completely.    smile

Lol, you had me picturing you wandering through the woods in a mental relaxation state of mind. smile But true in what you reference, the simply getting away from it all at times.

No...   I'm as driven and horribly stressed out and attached to the computer screen as ever - worse, probably.   lol   (Just happy to have, at least temporarily, taken a rest from the idea of hoping to make as much money in my spare time as I did in the past.)   smile   Hmmm.   Maybe I ought to load on some mosquito repellant and see if, maybe, I like the real woods any more these days.  Nah....   I don't.    smile

Lol, Lisa. I have other ways online that do help my overall income. I have hooked up with a great contractor on Odesk. About five to seven hours a day, and I make a third of my "regular job" salary with them. smile However, it took several years to finally land a job like that and hopefully it will continue to hold up. At least it is a guaranteed weekly income addition based solely upon my performance with no Google involved, lol!

I love the woods!  There's no one there to bother me and I always see a few wild animals.  I mean real ones, not the kind on the forums!  smile

Same here, I haven't stopped trying. Just branching out a bit. You're very optimistic and that's nice smile

3. Randy Godwin profile image59

Would that our trying makes a difference.  Some things are out of our control.  Not saying give up, but there is a point of realizing things will never go back to what they were.  Reality is often a cruel companion.  smile

15. TahoeDoc profile image79
        TahoeDocposted 11 years ago

http://searchengineland.com/google-push … ate-122518

Gee, looks like some of us were lucky enough to be in the 1/10 of 1 percent of English language sites to be hit. Nice.

That could be it! sad

ha ha ha, we're in an elite group of spammers! YES!! wink

Always great to be in an "elite" group! smile

1. TahoeDoc profile image79
                TahoeDocposted 11 years agoin reply to this

whoooppeeee. tongue
                Now, I'm trying to figure out if my drop is mostly due to my most successful hub which got a majority of my traffic (and has definitely seen a HUGE drop) or if all hubs are affected.

I did find one obscure site that has copied part of that hub. It wasn't easy to find, so I don't know how significant it is.

Here's their site if anyone wants to check there specifically for their stuff.

http://createwebsitebook.com/common-ane … y/#more-31

Also, is our info considered stolen if someone copied it to use as an answer on Yahoo Answers, but left a link to our hub? I don't know if that's still copied. I would guess yes, because the text shows up there-was clearly copied and pasted, it's not JUST the link

Even with the link, the copied material will show up on Google as duplicate content as well as a risk of being caught by the HP duplicate filter.

Thank you- I will work on having that removed as well, then.

Good luck to us all in having papa-G come to his senses and realize the genius contained in our hubs wink

I do like that, Papa-G, lol. smile

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
                  mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Depending on how much of the hub they have quoted I would see this as a useful organic backlink to your article. Just putting a link to the hub itself would tell the potential reader nothing about if it was worth reading. Your article was published first, so their site should be seen as the one with duplicate content if anyone's was going to be. If you are really concerned you could give them an alternative piece of text, i.e. a summary, and ask them to replace the quoted text with that, and leave the link in place,(making sure to emphasize that you are flattered and grateful they they considered your article worth linking back to).

Edit, just noticed you say this was on Yahoo Answers, so it could be difficult to follow my complete suggestions above. However, Yahoo answers is a great place to have a backlink as loads of people should potentially view it and then hopefully visit your full article.

16. Anurag2008 profile image95
        Anurag2008posted 11 years ago

Okay guys, rumors are rife that Google has possibly released another Panda update over the weekend. SEO roundtable believes there are strong signs of a Panda refresh (the last one was on April 26 2012 - Link: http://www.seroundtable.com/google-panda-3-7-15281.html

Really? Thanks google, next time vasoline would make it less painful...

UGH!!!

17. Dale Hyde profile image81

Still awaiting the forum "monitor" to pop in and give us some HP insight on this.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And pigs might fly...

If they don't have an answer, I doubt they will.  I don't think this forum is intended to be a place where HP will come along and scrutinise an individual account to see if there's anything wrong with it - it's to report things that may be a sign of a wider problem.

This is the description of this forum thread, straight from the main forum page:

Puzzled by traffic-related irregularities in your account? Please report it in this staff-monitored forum.

So that informs me that individual issues would be dealt with here. "Your account" is individual, lol. smile

Plus, it is much more than individual at this point. Numerous have expressed concerns.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Well yes, but we're talking about traffic being affected by what Google is doing, not a problem within HubPages, and that's how I take the intent of the forum.  I don't think it's intended as a place to get advice about how to deal with Panda or Penguin or any of the other Google tweaks, because HubPages staff don't have any kind of insider knowledge or direct line to Google, contrary to what some people think.  Maybe the moderator will drop in to clarify that.   

Going back to the original post, I'm curious what kind of tweaks you've been doing to your account?  If your writing was good in the first place, which I'm sure it was, I can't see there would've been much you could do - unless you were following some of the ill-advised suggestions that were being bandied around the forums in the post-Panda panic!  It's always difficult to sort the good from the bad - this discussion about Google disliking the first person is a typical example of the misinformation that's out there.

Most of my tweaking was working with keywords and using a keyword tool to guide me somewhat as that was an area that I was working in, Marisa. Most of what I have done was not done by suggestions gleaned from the forums. smile But I did take some advice from some of the "learning" hubs that are published.

As for it being a Google or Panda issue, that may well be true, however, for the traffic to be falling here for me, but not elsewhere where I publish, well, it may possibly be a HP issue somehow. How? I would not know. I am not well versed in that area.

Firstly,if it's a Panda or Penguin issue then the change in traffic will be sudden - an overnight change when the update is rolled out.  You're saying that's not the case. 

Have you looked at the differences between your other sites and HP?  Are you writing about different subjects?  Are you concentrating on a single topic elsewhere but various topics on HP?  What about the freshness of content or frequency of updating?  All those might be clues.

You may have a point there,however most is based the same. Thanks for the input. smile

18. profile image0
        DigbyAdamsposted 11 years ago

You might want to check out this topic http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99009?page=2. Paul E. explained some of it here.

Well it would seem that Paul would address this issue here, as it is laid out. Many more posts in this thread as well. I would not think we would have to sort through other forum threads to find an answer to a question or questions raised here.

As for "seasonal" well, I reckon the seasons on HubPages are not the same as my blog and my three websites, as there is no decrease in views there, lol.

2. janderson99 profile image54
          janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Blame the Weather, Season lol

19. Pamela N Red profile image83
        Pamela N Redposted 11 years ago

Things slow down in June, kids are out of school, more people doing things outside spending less online and going on vacations. Just keep writing and it'll pick up eventually.

I have to disagree with that, Pamela. Simply because my writings on other sites, including sites I own, have not went into this slump.

1. Pamela N Red profile image83
            Pamela N Redposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could it be the subjects you right here compared to your other sites? I tend to look at what kind of articles do people read or search for more in the summer months.

1. Pamela N Red profile image83
              Pamela N Redposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good grief, I meant "write" not "right".

20. bankscottage profile image92
        bankscottageposted 11 years ago

I've had the opposite happen.  I've had a huge spike.  I had about 36 views earlier today (about 5PM).  A good day for me as a relatively new Hubber.  At 6PM, I had 181 views.  All of my hubs with multiple views but none with a ton.  At 7PM, I am still at 181.  Why a spike of 145 in an hour and then nothing?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
          prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Depends on where your views are coming from. US, Asia or EU countries for example. Maybe they are still sleeping.

Overall, I am not addressing a specific day, but over a two week plus period.

21. Sally's Trove profile image79
        Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

I think it's pretty simple. What HP was 4 years ago is not what it is now, in Google's eyes. It was a place where "indie" writers/publishers/authors could tag along on a large site, and maybe even turn some SEO tricks to game Google.

At least for now, Google rules the roost in search, and HP is off its list. Punto final.

Just so you all know, my traffic has dropped to about 20 percent of what it was at its peak in November/December of last year into January of this year. The quality of what I produce hasn't changed...search has.

To Marisa's point, "...we're talking about traffic being affected by what Google is doing, not a problem within HubPages..." It's not a problem within HubPages, but it is a problem that HubPages has. The HP model apparently doesn't register well with Google.

Just my two cents, which are now worth about 80 percent less than they used to be.

That is my thoughts as well, that the HP model may be the issue in the eyes of Google. Again, I am trying to learn and I do appreciate all the various comments that have been shared here. I have learned quite a bit from what all have posted.

22. Anurag2008 profile image95
        Anurag2008posted 11 years ago

It's confirmed: Google rolls out Panda 3.7 update: http://www.brafton.com/news/google-roll … s-affected

This was this past Friday night. That does not cover the time period I referred to in my original post here. I am talking of a two week plus time period that the decline has been in motion.

This update may have had some influence for this past weekend stats, but not prior to that.

1. Will Apse profile image87
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is it just one or two pages or all of them?

If a few important pages fell a few places in the SERPS it can have a big impact.

It is the majority of my hubs here.

2. Azure11 profile image85
          Azure11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

On my other account (that was previously doing so well!) my traffic dropped by 80% on Friday/Saturday - guess this explains it - boo hoo :'-(

23. Dale Hyde profile image81

As of today, my views as well as earnings are still down 66 percent or more.

I am watching a regression going on, lol. It is rather depressing. I will possibly check back in a few days and maybe, the forum monitor will see 149 posts here and deem that it may be worthy to acknowledge it at some point.

Thanks again for all the comments and insight.

My earnings for the past 3 days are equal to what I get in a day sad My traffic is still down and surely was the panda. I posted about it here http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99087

24. ftclick profile image54
        ftclickposted 11 years ago

There were some updates to the algorithm I suspect. Get traffic from other ways with a list. You cannot put all eggs in one basket coming from the search engines. Just search for AsktheBuilder panda/penguin and hear his reasoning. His site was featured at G00gle conferences and they still clocked his site. He had only high high quality original content and still they beat him down.

25. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

The "I" criticism is mostly offbase, I think, since one of the basic conversion skills is to engage with a reader and establish trust. They need to know there's a human being at the other end of an anonymous webpage in order to be convinced to click that "buy" button. That's why marketing so often builds mascots and personas like Flo the Progressive gal: even though she's fictional, she gives the rather boring product (cut rate auto insurance) a personality and a face.

However, there's two things that may be giving some of us grief (I say us, because I've been posting a lot of "thinky thoughts" articles on Hubpages):

-- For the past year, Google has pushed user engagement and experience aggressively. I'm not sure to what extent it's able to monitor user behavior on webpages, but where there's Adsense, there's metrics. Are people clicking links? Reading a significant portion of the page (or at least skimming it)? Coming back to after clicking a link? Leaving comments, clicking social buttons? All the noises I've seen from Google suggest that it's refining ways to measure user interactivity and engagement on a page, which may put thoughtful pages that are just for reading at a disadvantage.

-- Useful and relevant are the bywords for search traffic. Google doesn't care if you've written a deeply moving and effective article on spiritual growth. It cares if you've written a useful and effective article on "how to get rid of pillbugs organic gardening." It's trying to match its readers' queries -- which tend to be questions seeking a solution -- to your content. So concrete, specific, problem-solving content tends to get more search traffic than opinion pieces, creative writing, or more esoteric and thoughtful content.

Which doesn't at all address your latest traffic drop. sad I'm stumped.

The last Panda was June 8th, the one before that April 27, and I think the latest Penguin update was May 25. But in addition to those major updates, there's always lots of minor algorithm adjustments... the kind we used to pay attention to before Panda and Penguin hogged all the headlines.  And I have no clue which of them could be snookering you. So I should just delete this post and not natter into the wind, eh?

The problem I keep returning to is that Hubpages was designed to be profitable with more traffic than it's getting now. My traffic/article ratio on Hubpages is about half what I get on other sites, yet the earnings/article are a quarter as much. Quite frankly, I'm not satisfied with that ROI.

But that's still only one person's experience, and I'm keenly aware that there's always experts on any site who do better than members who haven't truly mastered what works on that site.

Thanks for the insight as always. I guess that there is no answer out there to what I am experiencing. I mean that there have been a lot of suggestions offered here, but nothing concrete. Since the start of this thread, I have published a few more hubs simply to see how they do as fresh material. I have used similar subjects and formats as other hubs.

I will say this, I have a bunch of zeros and ones on my stats page at this moment. I have not ever seen this in this magnitude over the 5+ months I have been here. Many of my hubs showed Google as the sender of the most views, but I am now seeing that decline as I check the daily stats on individual hubs.

Maybe Google simply suddenly does not like "Dale" anymore. I can't think of anything I may have done with the exception of filing a few DMCAs that Google did respond to in positive manner.

26. prettydarkhorse profile image54
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Nice post GreekGeek, but aside from relevancy and usefulness G is also trying to pinpoint individual preferences, your past searches which could be subjective of course. That is why I think G can't really know what is the best answer for searches because search is geared towards individual preferences.

27. WriteAngled profile image74

Unfortunately, the whole individual preferences idea is plain stupid. It assumes people constantly want to search on the same few topics. That might be the case for people needing to keep updated on very narrow topics, but I would bet they form a minority.

The most useless aspect of individual preferences is when this concept is applied to products on sale. Are the people at Google really not bright enough to realise that once you've searched for, found and bought a product, you are probably no longer interested in seeing ads for it and similar products for quite a long time to come!

I researched solar panels in January and installed them in the first week of February. Now, nearly 5 months later, I am still being constantly presented with ads for solar panels whenever I happen to use Google. It's actually become really irritating, and is yet another reason I'm starting to use Google less and less.

Possibly if other people are getting equally irritated, Google will lose some of its search market share, which can only be a good thing for everybody.

An interesting concept and could well be an issue for sure.

28. Dale Hyde profile image81

A quick view of my stats: As of this moment, out of 81 hubs published I have four, that is 4, hubs that have ten views or above. Now this is from an account that had over 1200 to 1600 views a day rather consistently for weeks prior to the last two weeks.

1. janderson99 profile image54

Hi Dale,
          You can takes this suggestion with a 'grain of salt'.
          I personally do not use the RSS capsule with text summaries as you have done for 'Related Articles'. There has been a lot of debate about this. I simply use a list of titles (no text) - or better still incorporate uniquely worded anchor text links into the text and don't repeat the title text (a little penguin told me to do this).
          (I use a spreadsheet for finding related links - simpler than RSS).
          When I ran a test using 'copyscape' for one of your related blocks it returned 6 exact copies (your other hubs).

Many others have argued that having a small percentage of duplicate text does not matter. Many have said that this RSS does not affect traffic.

Just  'two bobs' worth => hope your traffic returns soon!!!!

29. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, for months now I have had only 8 hubs that are receiving 10 views or more, and none of them receive 100 or more views.

That is out of 500 odds - I have recently unpublished a few.

I don't know if this helps with google or not, but Angela Brummer published a hub called Hubber Alert that has been ever so helpful for my traffic. It can only help with google ranking I would think.

1. IzzyM profile image86

You can link someone else's hub in the forums if they have something there that is important to the discussion.

However, it is also important to know that I used to get thousands of views, and that all stopped on August 10th, 2011. Google just pulled its traffic overnight!

I think that is important to add to this discussion here.

Some on this thread are experiencing the withdrawal of Google love for the first time, and it usually does bounce back after a few weeks, but there are those of us out there to whom the traffic has never returned.

It is a major problem either with the site, or with Google.

Everyone needs to know it can happen to them. I have no idea what it is about my account that Google hates.

Probably not enough spelling errors or something, judging by the current front pages for my chosen keywords!

Thanks Izzy, Daughter of Maat and janderson.

There is not much tweaking I can do to my articles at this point. However, I think I will simply pull the related article RSS feed and just leave any links to my articles I have in the article text alone for now.

This will be my last tweaking of any of my hubs unless it is updating my one hurricane hub or correcting obvious spelling or grammar errors.

I remain undecided at this point exactly what I may do with my material here.

Did you notice my question about comparing your Hub account with your other websites/other writings? 

My HubPages account has also suffered from recent Google updates, whereas my websites have been largely unaffected.  The big difference between them is that on each of my websites, I write about only one topic - whereas on my sub-domain, I'm all over the place.  Conventional wisdom says that single-topic sites do better, so that could be the reason.  However it doesn't explain why some other Hubbers are still doing well with a variety of subjects.

Hello, Marisa. Yes, I did read your question and responded somewhere up there. I do write about a variety of articles here but two of my main websites are pretty much related to one area of interest.

My concern is that why my views are dropping however, not because they are low. The variety here has remained the same overall and views were up consistently until recently.

Google is tweaking all the time, and since their stated objective is to favour "authority" sites, it may just be gradually getting better at doing so. 

However, I see you added the RSS feeds only recently - it can take time for a change like that to flow through, so I think I'd be suspicious about the RSS feeds being the culprit. 

It's interesting, because I have seen a few people saying they're a bad idea, and I deleted a few recently while I was editing Hubs for other things - and my traffic has been going up again.  I hadn't thought the two might be related, I may have to go and have a closer look.

Actually, I went back and looked, the RSS feeds were added almost three months ago to quite a few of my hubs, so that would have been long enough to effect the hubs with the recent drop in views suddenly over the past two week period. If so, the recovery will take some time, however, each hub that I deleted the RSS feeds on, I submitted to be indexed by Google using Webmaster Tools. Having them re-indexed may help, hopefully, speed up any recovery.

1. IzzyM profile image86

As other posters have said, let us know if it works Dale.

I have two collapsed accounts, and both of them make extensive use of RSS. RyanKett wrote a hub blaming RSS feeds, and I didn't believe him, but he later withdrew the hub for some unknown reason.

I have just spent some time updating all my hubs, and had just finished when the latest Panda was run, and it did not bring my traffic back, but I saw the odd hub seeing increases.

I took away a couple of RSS feeds, but not much.

Need to check, actually, if the increases were on hubs where the RSS was taken off..

I certainly will be sure to update here on the results of the RSS deletions on the hubs. I think I should see something maybe in two weeks or there abouts? Would be nice if I saw them earlier, in positive manner. smile

Let me know if the increases were on the hubs you had deleted the RSS feeds on. That would be interesting.

I'm not sure that will be relevant, considering that if it's a Panda issue, the changes on those Hubs will improve the Panda score for the whole sub-domain.

It is interesting to try and understand the effect on sub-domains. That is a new concept to me. I have never operated under an actual sub-domain such as what is here.

30. Dale Hyde profile image81

Back to my deletion of RSS capsules and resubmitting each hub to Google after the deletion.  We will see how this effects things over time. The RSS feeds were a recent addition approximately five to six weeks ago.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image94

Let us know if deleting RSS capsules make a difference.

I certainly will do that. However, it will be a time related thing over a period of weeks before I can judge any results. But this is the ONLY recent "new" thing I did to all my hubs. One thing, adding the RSS feed did not do was INCREASE the traffic, lol.

31. Dale Hyde profile image81

About the RSS feeds, I have completed that update, the deletion of them.

I did note that out of 81 hubs, 29 did not have RSS feeds and the views were down the same percentage.  However, the other hubs that did have the RSS feeds may have pulled the sub-domain down, lowering the ranking of all articles on that sub-domain. It seems that I have read about something like that happening here before, where some hubs may effect the overall sub-domain ranking?

You're right, one of the frustrating things about Panda is that you may be allocated a low Panda score for your entire domain, based on only one or two pages which are judged to have broken the rules.

To give you an example, the early Pandas didn't affect most of my own blogs, except one.  I tried various things to recover it, and finally decided the culprit could be a handful of posts which were basically just a series of videos with a very short intro.  I had put each in a separate post, thinking I was generating extra interest by posting them over several days.

I read that Google will penalize multiple titles with similar wording - it sees that as a sign of article spinning.  So having a series entitled How to Fit Pointe Shoes #1, #2 etc was probably not a good idea!  Plus my posts were too short, i.e. "low quality". So I combined them into fewer posts, made the titles of the surviving posts different - and then I had to wait for the next Panda to run.  And my traffic came back.

Thanks, Marisa. With what you shared about the multiple titles that makes me think that the suggestion that it could have been the RSS feeds even more accurate. I can not remember who suggested that, but it was a second time someone had mentioned that. The first I paid no mind to, but the second made me stop and think. Now with what you shared about the multiple titles, well that is three...and I always feel that three is a lucky number and when something appears three times within a short period of time, a message is "trying" to be conveyed to you. smile

Edit: I went back and looked, it was janderson99 that made the suggestion that got my attention on the RSS feeds.

32. Dale Hyde profile image81

Well, today only shows "LESS" views than previous days. I am still heading "DOWN"... I still only have the four hubs with over ten views.  Just thought I would let folks know that no miracle has happened yet. I guess I should stop watching it and just let it go, lol. I am already making plans on the possibility of having to move things to another venue to get my views back up. I certainly do not want to have to do that as it will be a time consuming undertaking from start to finish.

Mine are averaging around 250 for the past 3 days sad Happy that its not going down further, but this is low

Mine are still way down. I guess that this particular thread is not staff monitored as touted beings no staff has recognized this thread by a single comment. I also see that many are simply accepting the drop and moving on. I guess that is what I need to do. Will be spending less time here and focusing on something else and see if I can generate some revenue from another source.

I would simply close this thread if I had that option, but there is no option to do that.

I would also have to say that my views for a Saturday are probably the lowest I can recall in many many months by about 500 views or so. No idea why, other than the new layout possibly. Certainly my earnings on Adsense are barely worth checking now, (and this has been the case for a few weeks since the layout changes). I am on the HP Ad program, but earnings from Adsense were still okay until a few weeks or so back in spite of this. Now they are pennies a day and I will be lucky to hit payout in about 6 months at this rate. HP Ad income down too, so I really wish we could just go back to the complete old layout on both page and Ads, as this was producing far better earnings and traffic for me sad

I was cruising along just fine, Misty, for several months. No major issues, views and coinage coming in the this SUDDEN STOP.... But I guess 81 hubs does not generate enough views for HP concern. To me, when my first pay out was over 100.00 dollars, well, that impressed me. I am not bragging here, just simply posting solid facts. Anyone question this, well I can screenshot my PayPal account, lol. but now, well, may well be several months or MORE at this rate, between any payouts.

Same old story, Dale.  When I plunged I was making the $100 Adsense payout in a little over a week with about the same number of hubs you have now.  Actually, only about 30 hubs were making most of my money and this isn't counting the many Amazon sales I made at the time.  And I was small potatoes compared with Misty and some of the other hubbers with many more articles than I had.  Now?  I'll be lucky to make Adsense payout every 2 months, even though this is normally my best time of the year for earnings and traffic.

So, Randy, I reckon I have had my rise to fame, and now simply need to like forget the rise and move on, lol?

I am discouraged to say the least. I have "tried" to refrain from pointing fingers, but I am human, I am an author and to be ignored like this does NOT sit well with me. I have linked all over the internet to HP and this is the "thanks" I get... simply an invisible forum posting..

And.... for those staff members who "may" pop in now, after many days of this original post, no, you will NOT impress me.

33. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
        Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

The thread may help people Dale. I wouldn't close it even if there was a button simply because others experiencing a drop may feel alone when they aren't. It's sad but unless your traffic is coming from google, it's gonna keep diving. Did you try sending google that form they have for re-evaluating your rank in the SERPs?

I am not sure which form you may be speaking of. But if filing a form would help well I would give it a try. smile  My earnings are down by 66 percent, lol, right along with the views. I don't have time to analyze each and every hub and try to figure out all the details. They were doing well, and then the views just stopped...did not gradually go lower, lol. Anyway, if I can locate a form I will file it. In the meanwhile, I feel that my time here for the time being could be better spent in other areas online.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6762602_f248.jpg

For what it's worth. I understand. It's not seasonal and it's not a usual 'dip'. The line goes essentially straight down. I, also, don't have time to analyze each hub to figure out what's going on or how to 'game' the system-- are there enough keywords? too many? are the photos and videos laid out properly, is there too much refreshing or not enough, etc, etc.... I was happy when my hubs did well just by writing what I knew, as an expert on the topic. I thought maybe common sense finally was built into the algorithms a little bit. Before this, my hubs were apparently considered good, authoritative content. Now they are not.

I understand.

I am glad you understand. I do not think it is seasonal or like any other downward spike I have seen over the years I have been writing online.

My contention is the same, apparently they were good content until someone or something deemed they were not. Certainly not seasonal. As I explained earlier, one of my hubs is very seasonal, lol, and should be racking up views as it was not long ago.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94

It's the google penguin appeal form. Here's the link, I went and found it for ya big_smile

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie … mp;ndplr=1

I want to fill it out to, but I don't know what to put for the second question! lol

Thanks! Hmm.. I am not sure to put there either. Maybe "page views"? "All pages"? I guess we would put in our profile URL for the top space?

This does say it is for the April 24th update. I don't think that was the one that hit me because I was doing exceptionally well, view wise, up until just two or three weeks ago.

I just filled out one of the forms, Dale. I went to google analytics and found which of my keywords had lost the most traffic and picked the hub associated with it and sent it in with a comment saying that all my pages were affected. We'll see what happens... big_smile

1. Bedbugabscond profile image94

How long do you think it takes to get a response, if you get one at all?

Great! Do let me know the results. smile

34. Dale Hyde profile image81

My update. My Google traffic is now down over 75% and falling. I reckon it is time to move things to a better "grazing grounds" as it is appearing I am being penalized for being associated with HP.

Join the crowd, Dale!  It's been 9 months now since I lost 75-80% of my traffic and earnings literally overnight.  It doesn't give one much incentive to publish anything with the expectations of earning from it on HP at this time.  I think content farms such as this one are being targeted by Google for elimination from its search engine. 

This may explain why HP is so insistent on trying to please them with putting the published date on our hubs.  I wish they'd stop catering to them and focus more on Bing and Yahoo where much of my traffic is now coming from.

I don't know, but like you, I'm getting weary of the games here.

35. Dale Hyde profile image81

I am a "tad" frustrated. This is supposed to be a "staff monitored" forum thread...ten pages...not one staff member has even shown up. This is sad. I see that there is some very biased stuff going on here, or so I am led to believe. Punish me if you must for speaking my mind, delete me, suspend me, but you, the staff, have posted in this forum topic that it would be monitored by staff. You, the staff, deem that I and my ability to make profit here are not important, that is all cool. I paid my bills before arriving on HP and will continue to do so. I do not think it is professional to "judge" a hubber by their spiritual beliefs and therefore ignore them. I have insight. I am not stupid and others have told me of why I am not getting responses... Simply put, a Pagan in a place that is staffed by Christians.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

I really hope that isn't what they are doing Dale, as I am a Pagan too, and I believe I read somewhere Relache is as well. I know there are a good few of us on here.

This is why I wish the moderators had to be identified when banning someone from the forums.  Almost all of my bans (I've lost count of them at this point) came from arguing with christians on the forums.  I truly hope this isn't the case here, but we have no way of knowing for sure since the mods aren't identified when they take certain actions.  I know, take it or leave it!  I've heard it all before.  sad

Lol, I can very, very, very, easily leave...trust me. Remember that cartoon? "Exit....stage left?" Who was that... Platapus or something like that?

Snagglepuss!  LOL!  Yes, I was looking for somewhere to write when I found this place, Dale!  It used to be a great place to write and make money, but they allowed too much crap to be published here and Google finally got tired of it.  smile

There ya go Randy, lol. I knew it was some kitty. smile haha! Love Snagglepus. smile

I have noticed emails from HP on any topic are never 'signed' by the sender, which is rather frustrating if you want to go back with a follow up question to the email, and want to ensure it is read by the right staff member. It also makes it nigh on impossible to gauge if the staff member who has manually reviewed a hub and unpublished it, removed ads etc, is a novice trainee, or a senior staff member. I find this somewhat unprofessional as in any business a name is usually put to any correspondence.

It is a form of insulation which protects staff but does nothing to instill trust in the writers.  But hey, trust doesn't seem to mean as much as it used to not long ago.  Welcome to the internet!  smile

Well it if is not the Pagan issue, where is the staff on this issue, lol? I am led to believe what I am being told. The staff has commented and interjected on more previous postings since this one was created, Misty. It is like this one is invisible to staff. I personally think that enough others have shared the same concerns and problems here that I posted about and it is like an invisible thread. So, this being displayed, the lack of staff presence, only adds fuel to the small flame that has been set in messages I have received to tone things down or be basically tossed out of HP land.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

Maybe they will show up on Monday Dale. I agree they should have responded to concerns and commented, but would hope it is not religion based sad

Well this post originated days ago, when staff was commenting on other posts in "monitored forums" and this one was ignored. I don't expect a response on this one, lol, a week or so later. I am like you, I ignored, and disbelieved the messages I have received in personal email, but as time has gone by, with this thread as a proving ground, I am lead to believe otherwise. This is a serious issue for any author. A loss of revenue... and is being ignored by staff. If ANYONE has any other ideas or thoughts, feel free to share. I am not a hater... My spiritual path does not allow that. However, that being said, I will not be used.

36. Dale Hyde profile image81

Report a Traffic Problem
        10    411
        Puzzled by traffic-related irregularities in your account? Please report it in this staff-monitored forum. (Please read the FAQ at the top before posting!)

Okay, there it is, what the officials posted for this forum topic.

I am puzzzled.... I have reported it here in this "staff-monitored forum."

??????????

I think that a drop from 1600 to 300 views a day is a good call for puzzlement?? Oh, hello, staff...??????

1. janderson99 profile image54

They are probably off for the weekend, Dale.  Father's Day, church, basketball, US Open Golf, you know, important stuff.  smile

Well,Randy, this was posted a few days ago, actually, lol...plenty of time for staff to read this.

They'll probably get around to it Monday or Tuesday, Dale.  You'll probably get the standard "We are running tests to see if ......"  so you really won't get much in the way of actual help.  When I complained back in August I was told I wrote awkwardly and this was the reason my traffic dropped.  Salt in the wound always helps!  lol

Actually, HP has never had a good PR person to deal with the writers in my three years here.  Not that it hasn't been suggested several times.  smile

What happened to LAST Monday or Tuesday, lol?

If you read the blogs you'll find the staff has a very loose schedule.  But then, so do I.  Of course, I don't have thousands of people writing articles and asking questions of me.  smile

I have a lot on my platter as well, but I do give attention to business and detail, Randy... I have not and will not email them with the concern, which will be a suggestion from the "usual" forum poster(s), simply because this is a newly created place to post traffic issues and a place that is to be monitored by staff, lol. I am a stubborn Virgo, actually. smile Plus, I am far too old to get down on my knees and beg! If I were to get down there, shoot, I would have problems getting back up, lol. smile

most earth elements are stubborn, look at taurus!! lol

Most true, haha!

I'm a virgin too, Dale!  Virgo, I mean!  lol  And yes, like you, I'll put up with a little bit of sh*t, but I won't tolerate a lot of sh*t.  I've never had to before and I'm not about to learn how to now.  smile

Peace, fellow independent Virgo!  lol

Lol, Randy, you are a killer. Gotta like you even if you have had the ups and downs with HP staff. I am all about interacting with "real" people that DO NOT put themselves up on a pedestal;... You do fall into that category. smile Virgo to Virgo, lol.

37. Dale Hyde profile image81

I went back and checked, this post was created by me seven days ago... so a whole week has come and gone, staff clocking in for five days, responding to other "monitored posts" within this heading, but not mine. Biased, yes.......Choosing to ignore and not respond?....yes.

38. Dale Hyde profile image81

My mind set at this point, lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXVUi35Y4Q

39. Dale Hyde profile image81

My earnings and views are still down a minimum of 66 percent. I guess this is the "new" earnings and views to expect. Something certainly came up and killed my hubs. Just saying. I see no possible reasons from the higher ups yet.

I will check back when I think to. Not spending much time here as of late.

40. Kenna McHugh profile image92
        Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

This is so funny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)