jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

How do I correctly attribute a screenshot of a video game?

1. RolyRetro profile image87
    RolyRetroposted 5 years ago via iphone

I review classic video games in my hubs, but  how do I correctly attribute them? Many I record myself, some are based on web research.

Thanks

Roly

1. Haunty profile image82
      Hauntyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can't always take screenshots of a game or produce videos featuring the game. The licence requirements for the product from which you intend to use material needs to be checked first. You can find these licence requirements for most computer programs on the company websites.

One example of this is Blizzard's Video Policy, which supports community-created images and videos of their products as long as you don't use them for commercial purposes. However, publishing such content in a Hub is considered commercial use, so I suggest you read every policy closely.

When you are allowed to use screenshots and videos, always include a specific acknowledgement of the product in the attribution including the company name and the name of the product. Also, screenshots should always appear as they would in the software product. smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image61
        MelissaBarrettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If he's doing a review then the screenshots fall under fair use.

I have done hubs reviewing tv shows... I generally just list them as screenshot and the name of the episode/show.

1. Haunty profile image82
          Hauntyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's true as long as the screenshot or video does not illustrate how to take certain steps in order to accomplish some task. For example, talking about games, making a video or taking screenshots to illustrate how to beat an enemy does not fall under fair use.

1. RolyRetro profile image87
            RolyRetroposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That seems reasonable - my hubs are reviews of the games in question, so should come under fair use.

Thanks for the advice.

Roly

2. 2uesday profile image86
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

You might need to check the difference between the US fair use approach and the UK rules as I think they differ.

working