jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

SUGGESTION: Publish a HubPages e-magazine

1. Living Well Now profile image78
    Living Well Nowposted 4 years ago

Why not publish a HubPages e-magazine? It wouldn't have to be as slick as the new Huffington.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/huffingt … 1550?mt=8/

Sell ad space and split the revenue with Hubbers whose work is used.

Offer it as a free, downloadable PDF similar to what Full Circle Magazine does.

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2012/05/2 … 1-out-now/

Full Circle uses free, open source software to produce their publication. The Web site and publication have come a long way since their first issue. It's slick and accepts advertising. I'm not suggesting you use open source software to publish, I'm just pointing out what's been done. You could use standard publishing tools and software and have interactivity built into each issue like Huffington does. This would bring visitors to the HP Web site, which is what you want.

HubPages could offer different types of e-magazines from cooking and recipes to fiction and photography or single e-magazine. Combine HubPage authors writing and Hubpage photography and graphics. Sell advertising space and split the revenue with Hubpage authors whose works were featured. Have the download available for iTunes like the HP podcast and make a lite version for Google Currents. That would help HP address revenue in the mobile space ;-)

2. jacharless profile image81
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

Great Idea and possibly unite/partner with Flipboard, which is a brilliant Magazine App. Okay, okay, so I am shamelessly promoting a friends VC portfolio company here, but the app is just outstanding! And works on both android and apple platforms for mobile and tablet.

3. BWD316 profile image86
    BWD316posted 4 years ago

Awesome idea! I really like the idea of branching out to emagazines, apps and a mobile audience.  Maybe they could do a weekly issue with a variety of hub articles showing others what hubpages has to offer.  I know I would download it, especially if it were free!  It would be so much fun to read hub articles in a digital format other then the Internet.  It's a great way to expand hubpages while also encouraging better work and exposing Hubbers' work to a larger audience!

4. MickiS profile image95
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Ok, I appreciate the suggestion. But, may I ask a dumb question? Whatever effort we put in to promoting an e-zine, why wouldn't we just keep putting that behind HubPages.com?

We do already optimize the site for Mobile display.

James, I know the folks at Flipboard well. The founder is a colleague of mine from Netscape. Small world. ;-)

Living Well Nowposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your question is hardly dumb...I appreciate your reply.

Let me ask a dumb question or two. Wouldn't promoting an e-zine be the same as putting an effort behind HubPages.com? Wouldn't it be an extension and promotion of the HubPages brand?

As BWD316 pointed out, it would be a different digital format showcasing Hubber's work in a spiffy, magazine-like layout that's difficult to do with a traditional Web page. And you could still read it offline.

1. BWD316 profile image86
        BWD316posted 4 years ago in reply to this

An e-magazine would also encourage more deep reading I stead of informational snacking that occurs on the Internet everyday.  A e-magazine would contain the articles allowing readers to read like they would a book or magazine.  This would be great for longer, more in depth articles.  I also think this format would reach a new audience, especially if offered on various e-readers like amazon kindle, the iPad and the Nook.  Some people would enjoy reading a magazine style format then the constant hyper linking of the Internet.

Living Well Nowposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If the RSS feeds were open, you could syndicate your content with Amazon and read it on the Kindle. Web page and blog feed subscription rates are $0.99/mo.

How HubPages would generate revenue from something less dynamic than a Web page or Web site is the $64K question.

2. jacharless profile image81
      jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, indeed-e smile
      Thanks Micki!

5. prairieprincess profile image95
    prairieprincessposted 4 years ago

This magazine is what Squidoo does and it seems like  a very attractive product.