jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Is there an audience on HubPages for this sort of historical article?

1. Apollos Crow profile image80
    Apollos Crowposted 5 years ago

After a long dry spell, I've posted a new article focusing on a bit of oft-neglected Russian history - the reign and reforms of Tsar Alexander II.  I put a lot of work into it, but my fear is that it might be too "academic" for a general audience.  If anyone is willing to give it a read and let me know honestly if it comes off as dry, dull, pedantic, etc., I'd be very grateful.

I was not sure how much detail to go into, and how much background information to supply.  I tried to strike a good balance, pepper it with some pictures, stay on topic (I have a tendency to ramble, if you can't tell).  Any feedback is appreciated!  Here's the URL: http://apolloscrow.hubpages.com/hub/AlexanderII.  Apologies if this is not the appropriate place for this thread.

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

Hello Apollos Crow smile I found your article very well done except the paragraphs are too long. Too much text in one spot tends to make one go cock-eyed therefore break them down to less than 10 lines long. I would set tags to education, k-12, family, parenting. Wonderful article smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree, DS.  Breaking the paragraphs into smaller sections of text, or even different capsules with subtitles, seems to help make for an easier read.  A very informative hub for those seeking such info.  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

Apollos Crowposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Interesting idea.  So the subtitles would just be single-line synopses of each section, so people could skim to the part they want?  I'll have to see how that looks when I play around with the editing.  Thanks!

2. Apollos Crow profile image80

Thanks!  Yes, I see what you mean.  Less essay-style, more reader-friendly article?  I will do some reformatting later on today, thanks for the useful feedback.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

To answer your question, yes, there are historical writers here who would enjoy reading this type of hub. Be sure to follow this topic category and various sub topics and you will find them.  I know one who loves to share interesting hubs, and often that's how I have found them on the feed.
    You can also use Twitter to find history buffs.

yes, or use a keyword simple phrase for major sections of text. It will make it easier for viewers.

Cool, thanks for the tips.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 5 years ago

I concur with what the others have said about the paragraphs- I write on historical subjects both on this account and my "Just History" account and yes they do get readers; although it is steady rather than dramatic numbers of hits.
    I was thankful to a reader who pointed out my paragraph problems and I have shortened them; perhaps even simplified them.
    I am concerned over your first two sentences- whilst I think they are quite well written I am concerned that they are very academic- the casual reader might think - gosh that's a bit hard and not finish it. If the sentences were less complex it might engender a longer visit by the reader.
    A brilliant hub and I hope to read more

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  Simplifying the language may be a good idea.  I reckon I get a bit stodgy and verbose when it comes to certain topics.  Nice to know there are other history buffs around, I look forward to checking out your hubs.

working