jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

IMPLEMENTED: Add video icon to the "discover what others are reading"

1. ktrapp profile image91
    ktrappposted 4 years ago

I think it would make a lot of sense to add the red video icon (already in use on the profile page and feed) to any video hubs that appear in the "discover what other are reading" section and the previous/next hub image links.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I'm personally not crazy about any other possible attraction to take viewers off our page.

ktrappposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Understandable, but at some point the reader does have to leave the page, either through a link in the hub's content, a previous/next link, a "what others are reading" link, clicking on an ad, clicking on an author or commenter profile link, or simply closing the browser/browser tab.

If the "discover what other people are reading" section is here to stay (and it most likely is), then I want to use it to my advantage. I guess there are two sides to every coin -- those links take a reader away from a hub (hopefully after they've read and maybe commented), but they also bring traffic to hubs and sub-domains as well.

If we want to make a reader keep reading within our sub-domain then I think the best way to do that is to have the previous/next links be extremely relevant/related to the content of the hub that they appear on. At least we can control this through the groups we set up.

On a side note, now that the previous/next links are so visual I realize how awful some of my grouping is and if I were a reader I would bypass them. I am planning on deleting all my groups and starting from scratch.

As far as video hubs go, I just think there should be some distinction between them and other types of hubs (like in Google results you know when you're about to open a video). Whether it attracts a reader/viewer or not depends upon what they're looking for. But since I want to use the previous/next and "what others are reading" section to attract viewers the video icon would be helpful, especially for how-to hubs.

So while I agree with you, if those "attractions" are here to stay then maybe we should see them as opportunities to get traffic. It's sort of like making lemonade out of lemons I guess.

3. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I understand all that you're saying, but at the same time, my primary focus on creating a hub is not to focus on what others are reading section. It's bad enough that it's right under our content, before comments. There are other 'general' places a viewer can find the video hubs. I'm not in favor of making our hubs any less author friendly. The avatar size makes us even less prominent along with the removal of read more hubs by author. Sorry, it's a thumbs down for me. smile

Completely understandable. At least we can control the previous and next links which appear before "what others are reading" links to "encourage" the current reader to stay within our subdomain. I am working on cleaning up my Groups so these links make more sense and the reader doesn't automatically jump to the next six links taking them away from the current sub-domain.

Have you ever looked at the click path data (I think it's on Google Analytics)? It's a big arrow that shows where each reader went within your subdomain. You can see their path from hub-to-hub and when they drop off. It's interesting to look at, but I've always seen most readers move onto other Hubs not the profile.

The only way then to really keep a reader within your subdomain is to either link to other hubs within the current hub or to utilize the previous/next links.

Say for example I have a "next" link with a video icon for how to cut crown moulding. If none of the 6 links below mine have a video icon, then I bet for that particular topic the video icon may help me better compete among the links. I think it can be really advantageous to get someone to stay within your subdomain depending on the topic, or, the part NONE of us like, get someone to click away to one of the "what others are reading" hubs.

But besides all of this, I think it is fairly typical these days for there to be some sort of indication that a link leads to a video.

But trust me, I fully understand your point. In an ideal world I think all the writers would want to get rid of those six links, but HubPages wants to keep the reader on HubPages period - be it my subdomain or yours.

4. MickiS profile image95
    MickiSposted 4 years ago

Kristin, thanks for the initial suggestion. This feature was implemented and went live on the site this afternoon.

Thanks so much. I think it looks great.