jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Email publicly available...

1. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago

I just received the weirdest email from someone who emailed me through hub pages. I couldn't find the 'hubber' and then discovered that if I signed out and did a search for me, that someone could email me without signing in. I'm not sure that I'm happy with that. I allow people to contact me, meaning other hubbers - not the general public... There's a measure of safety in having people sign up for HP before they can contact one.

what is happening? Is this a bug, or is it new politcy?

1. Lisa HW profile image84
      Lisa HWposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I just signed out, and I don't see any way that someone could e.mail me (from the profile on here, anyway).  I wonder if your settings may have been inadvertently changed (by you or the system).  (Of course, receiving e.mails through this site doesn't mean they see your e.mail address, does it?  Isn't it only if you e.mail back to them that they'll see your address? )

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The important point is that the person who emailed you, doesn't know your email address (unless you reply).  They've used the contact form on the site, which doesn't disclose it.

I'm happy to have this feature, because it means a reader can ask me a question without having to go to the hassle of joining the site.

1. 0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Marisa, I did think of that, and naturally, I didn't reply. I guess it just shocked me. That said, someone could pose as a reader and then one would reply and it would reveal one's email address. I suppose, I just feel safer knowing that they've had to fill in some form. Then, again, they could just lie on the form! smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that's the view I take.  I've had spam messages from people who have signed up for HubPages with the specific purpose of spamming other Hubbers.  So making them join doesn't help, IMO!

3. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I got one of these too and wondered how someone could do this.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

If someone emails you via your profile link and they are a site member, the email contains their user name and a link to their profile.  It's really useful for deciding who seems legit and who deserves a reply.  Spammers make themselves known quite readily and are easily reported.

3. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

One of my first contacts through my contact link was from a non-Hubber who was the grandson of a man I had written about in one of my Hubs. 

It was wonderful to hear from that family and to know they liked what I had written!  I did not mind letting them know my real name and e-mail address, but the experience did help me to realize that I was sharing personal information when I replied.

As a result, I created an e-mail address which is only for HubPages and which shows a User Name (Profile Name) when I reply.  That way, I can choose whether and when to share additional information.

1. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Aficionada, obviously it's my day for receiving emails... I've just received another one. This time from someone in South Africa who read my hub on how I became a beggar. She is 60 and living in dire poverty.She wrote to me to tell me that she loved the piece I had written and told me about her situation. So I guess it works both ways....

4. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 4 years ago

I enjoy hearing from readers (most of the time smile ).

I guess it's like most things in life, we take the bad along with the good; and if the bad is bad enough we try to change it.  Too often, if the good is good enough we take it for granted!  lol

I'm glad to hear of your South African contact.

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

On my profile I give readers permission to contact me with any questions. I have been one to always interact with my readers here and on various other platforms where I publish. Interaction is a wonderful thing and works both ways as I benefit from those who may contact me on many occasions.

Our privacy is protected on HP as others have stated. Your email addy is not shown to whomever contacts you until you respond to that message from your email inbox.