SUGGESTION: Could we limit the number of "shares" per day?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (28 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 11 years ago

My feed is full of "shares" by a Hubber.  HP recommends we do not share our own Hubs too frequently, why can't that apply to multiple sharings by the same Hubber for other Hubs. 
    I don't think they can possibly read all those Hubs,  I think it's done for other reasons.

1. christin53 profile image84
      christin53posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think limiting the number of shares would be a really good idea it would make us think twice before sharing.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The easy way to fix this is to "unfollow" the person who is doing it, if it's someone you follow. Anyone behaving like that, probably isn't worth following anyway.

Is your feed set up so that you see Hubs by your followers?  I fail to see the point of that option.  After all, if someone follows you and you're interested in their Hubs, you'll follow them back.  So by definition, any Hubs by followers you're not following, are unlikely to be of interest to you.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

Knoji limits the number of recommends you have per day (which is essentially the samething). On that site as you level up, you get more recommendations per day. HP could do the same thing. If you're above say a 97, you get a certain number of shares per day, if you're 90-95 you get so many shares etc, and it drops as the hubber score drops.

3. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 11 years ago

Someone wrote a Hub several weeks ago about sharing Hubs.  They said if you share X number of shares a day, you will get X number of page views, and X number of new followers.  They did the math.  I think that started all of this. 
    I think it's wonderful to  be able to share a Hub that you feel is worthy and would like others to read it, but this is getting ridiculous.  This Hubber just jumps on and jumps off and shares!

Chris Hugh wrote a Hub today about this problem and shared how to filter this kind of stuff out.  I intend to do just that.

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

That's not the purpose of the share function. I share hubs that I think are great reading, but not as much as I used to. I appreciate some of the hubs I've found shared by others, but to try to play a game with views at the expense of your followers is manipulating the function.

5. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I think sharing so many pages could be counter productive if people become tired of the quantity and decide to un-follow the person.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

(a) Following too many people to begin with cause the problem that is being complained about.

(b) Following too many topics/categories will also cause the problem that is being complained about.

This is in control of the individual author via the "following" section under "my account section.

Why should the sharing be limited? You can control it yourself without HubPages doing it for everyone.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally I don't care either way, it's just as easy to ignore it as it is to change your settings. I just know other sites do it for this very reason.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I don't much care either. My feed is full of shared stuff, but I barely look at it unless something catches my eye.

Personally, I rarely share, mainly because it's a function I barely noticed. If I find a hub that I think is outstanding in some way, I Tweet or Facebook it -  that way it has the potential of getting a lot more readers.

It honestly hardly occurs to me to share with followers. Maybe I am missing out on something, but I thought we wrote articles for the whole world, not for other hubbers.

Maybe I should share more often...

8. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years ago

I think that using the feed to share every single name of each additional person that follows a Hubber feels like spam. Does anyone else feel this way?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I second that heartily, Patty.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It feels like too much self promotion, like repeating TV commercials that won't stop.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Patty, most of us don't have 6,324 followers. wink I imagine you gain a number of followers each day, so you probably notice it more. I only see posts of those who are now following me. I don't see others, do you?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do see others and I don't know why yet - I see announcements of each Hubber that begins to follow one particular HP member, so perhaps those are also followers of mine already. I'll try adjusting settings again.

... I checked settings; according to my choices, I should not have been able to see those "follower" shares, but did and do. I will have to ignore.

3. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it is SPAM!  I for one, don't like it.

9. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

There were several people who seemed to share every hub that they looked at, since each  shares came in less than a minute from the last share.  I stop following them, but there is some kind of glitch or other functionality which still shows some of these shares. 

It is irritating.  There is only room on the feed page for so many notices, and having so many shares buries all the new hubs from the people I follow.  It is spam.

I have no problems with people sharing one or two things that they particularly liked, but when there are this many, it isn't being shared because it might interest me.  Unfortunately, because of all the spam, if a hub is shared, I am less tempted to read it.

10. jasmith1 profile image82
    jasmith1posted 11 years ago

I am glad this had been brought up as I have been feeling frustrated too but unsure how to stop it. Chris Hugh's hub has helpful advice on how to change yoru settings (as I had stopped following but was still getting updates). I think I am sorted now but agree that it is something that needs to be looked at. Apart from being annoying it doesn't seem fair to other hubbers who are doing things fairly and putting the hard work in.

11. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

If you explore the filter setting on the feed, it's possible to turn off nearly any and all activity.  Options tend to break down to seeing just things related to you and what you have done, things that relate to your followers, things that relate to topics you follow (often the annoying culprit) and things from anyone/anywhere.

Not following entire topics brought a blissful relevance to my feed page.

1. profile image0
      WhydThatHappenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It would be easy to add a feed filter for shares wouldn't it? That could help

12. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 11 years ago

Thanks, relache!

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My thanks, too, relache!

13. Haunty profile image75
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

Can someone tell me why I get shares by people I do not follow and how to turn this off? My filters are set so I should be able to see only Hubs that answer my questions or by users I'm following.

14. MickiS profile image75
    MickiSposted 11 years ago

Excellent discussion!

We seem to all agree that people who abuse the share and spam our feeds just to self-promote are the users that we all Unfollow. Between unfollowing them and changes the filters on your feed, I think we have the control in the feed that we need.

To do something artificial such as an arbitrary limit on the number of times people can share seems unnecessary and penalizes the 'good' users of the feature.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I think people don't always notice or understand the filters.

What is the default setting for the filters?  Perhaps that could be changed to include less rather than more?

For instance, I didn't realize that one of the options is to see posts by people who follow you (as distinct from people you follow).  I fail to see the point of this - because if someone follows you and you want to know about what they do, you follow them back.  That means they'll already appear in the stream.  So if you have any followers you're not following, surely that means you don't want to know about their updates, so why is this option necessary?

There's no harm in it being there, but I suggest it should definitely be set to "off" as a default.  I suspect a lot of the people having a problem have it set to "on" without knowing it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Micki, can you tell us what the default setting for the activity stream is?

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 11 years ago

I had to unfollow the hubber that was doing this. It did get out of hand! roll

3. jasmith1 profile image82
      jasmith1posted 11 years ago

It is good to learn more abut the filters - it clears up why I still got updates from people that follow me, but that I don't follow etc. Off to update them!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)